*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055673-Chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #2304463
With Beth compromised, Jake & Pamela go to extreme lengths to save their friend
#1055673 added September 13, 2023 at 3:29am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3
Jake stumbled as he walked out of the elevator doors into Kaitlyn's base. He'd scoffed when he realized she'd been right under his nose the entire time. The parking garage she'd taken him to had an old elevator for a storage facility his company had abandoned years ago. Jake had been so focused on sifting through his company's current problems that he'd failed to consider that older structures might be used by the underworld. An oversight that Kaitlyn was quick to point out once they walked into the common area.

Admittedly, Kaitlyn had done a surprising job repurposing the old storage facility into a working base. It was low tech, but the warrior woman was never one for gadgets and cutting edge technology. "I can get you some systems from this century, Kait," Jake said as he sat down on an old couch she'd dug out, "This is almost impressive, but I don't see how you accomplish anything here."

"There's an art to using methods that are considered archaic, Jake," Kaitlyn pointed out as she grabbed a few items from a workbench, "Before there were screens everywhere, people used papers, maps, and actually had to think instead of asking a question to an AI."

"Okay, I'm not suggesting converting everything to new age technology, but let me bring you into something modern at least," Jake sighed.

"Systems fail, computers can be hacked, and networks are easily compromised," Kaitlyn countered as she mixed a few ingredients and dipped a syringe into the bowl she'd been using, "It's part of the reason it always took you and Beth so long to find me as opposed to some of the other women that gave you two hell."

"Alright, fine, but at least let me get you a few things, Kait," Jake sighed as she walked over and handed him the syringe, "What's this?"

"Antitoxin to counteract the effects of the anesthesia that Rhea slipped you," Kaitlyn answered, "I noticed that the syringe she injected me with was the same brand that Murray uses on her patients. I've been tracking that psycho for over a month since you three let her walk out of the police station. What sort of things are you wanting to buy me, Jake? You know if you want to get on my good side, all you have to do is pay me the respect I'm owed. I worked up quite a sweat from my fight if you want to start there, little man."

"Hard pass, thanks," Jake shuddered, lining the needle up with his arm for the injection, "You're not wanting computers, so-"

"I don't need computers, there's a difference," Kaitlyn clarified, cutting him off and adding, "Inject into your bicep, genius."

Jake rolled his eyes, but he moved the needle in and plunged it into his arm. He could feel the medicine burning as it worked its way through his muscles, "Whatever, you don't need computers, asshole. There's still other pieces of tech that you can use that won't open you up to cyberattacks. Scanners are one example, but I can easily get you some other things that might make what you're doing easier."

"Those I won't turn down," Kaitlyn said, taking a seat in a rolling office chair, grabbing a first aid box, and rolling over to Jake, "Addy would know better than me what we might need, if I'm being honest. There's also a few amenities that I think she'd like to have for when we're not in the field. Let me see your arm."

"Agh!" a scream came from down the hall as Jake prepared to let Kaitlyn examine him.

"Uhm, think you ought to check on that?" Jake asked, glancing down from where the scream had come from.

"Ordinarily, I'd say no, but I need that woman conscious and alive," Kaitlyn sighed as she got up, "Don't move, I'll be right back. The antitoxin will take at least half an hour to counteract the anesthesia, so try not to move too much."

"I'm not going anywhere," Jake nodded as Kaitlyn got up.

Jake leaned back on the couch as his hostess left the main room to handle whatever was happening down the hall. Looking around, Jake took in the main chamber in its entirety. Kaitlyn had managed to salvage a lot of old equipment from the storage facility and convert it into pieces of furniture she used for desks and shelves. The chairs and sofas were clearly salvaged from other places judging by the way nothing matched and the shape they were in, but Jake made a note to try to get them something better. Well, contingent on exactly what his old enemy was up to. He still had several unanswered questions, but he figured he'd get them soon enough.

Kaitlyn returned with Razor limping and wrapped in a heavy chain. Addy was close behind, a Gladius hanging from one hip and a whip hanging from the other. "I'm sorry, Mistress, she was misbehaving," Addy said, a hint of fear tinging her voice.

"It's fine, Addy, she's still breathing and clearly still able to talk," Kaitlyn assured her sub as she shoved Razor onto the floor, "However, I think now is as good a time as any for us to talk with our guest. Depending on her cooperation, we'll determine just how she'll be spending her night with you."

"Yes, Mistress, of course," Addy bowed as she took a seat and crossed her legs on one of the tables, "May I watch you work, ma'am?"

"Of course," Kaitlyn smiled at her.

"Fuck all of you!" Razor barked, sounding like a rapid and cornered animal, "You think I'm afraid of any of you?!"

"You should be, but no, I don't think you're scared," Kaitlyn said, her voice calm as she walked around to pull a cloth off of a nearby table, "I think you're too cocky and stupid to know when you should be afraid. If you weren't, that lash across the face would have taught you something. Don't worry, fear is something that can be taught, and I happen to be an expert teacher."

Addy clapped her hands in excitement, "She taught me, and I was almost as bad a girl as you!"

"I feel like I should leave the room for this," Jake said, watching as Kaitlyn grabbed a set gauntlet with spikes along the knuckles.

"You'll stay where you are, Jake," Kaitlyn ordered, "You'd do well to watch and learn how to extract information."

"Get bent, bitch," Razor scoffed before Kaitlyn marched over after slipping the gauntlet on and hitting her across the jaw, "Ack, fucking slut!"

"Hmph, if I didn't need information, I'd have let Addy go back to sitting on your damn face," Kaitlyn frowned, "A disrespectful tongue like yours is only good for cleaning filth from ass and feet. However, I want to know what Duchess offered you, and when you met with Anna Murray. Speak, worm, or things are going to get a lot worse for you!"

"Hold on, did you say Duchess?" Jake asked, sitting up, "What the hell does Amelia have to do with her?"

"Wouldn't you like to know, fuckwad," Razor mocked.

"Mistress, would you like to use my whip?" Addy asked, glee filling her voice, "I could use a refresher on the proper way to crack it."

"Don't you fucking dare!" Razor snapped as Kaitlyn smiled at her prodigy.

"I don't think she wants that, Addy," Kaitlyn chuckled as she walked over and held out her hand, "Give it here, dear. I'm going to ask again before I use this, Rhea. What did Duchess offer you? What is she planning? And, when did you meet Doctor Murray?"

"I wouldn't call her bluff," Jake offered, watching as Kaitlyn unfurled the whip and Addy suppressed a squeal of delight.

"I'm not telling any of you shit," Razor spat.

"Suit yourself," Kaitlyn shrugged as she reared her arm back and cracked the whip across Razor's face.

Jake winced at the sound of the whip cracking and connecting with skin. Memories of himself being beaten and tortured came flooding back. Even if he couldn't stand Razor, this was almost too much for him. He closed his eyes as the whip cracked a second time, and he gripped at the couch cushion when Razor screamed. A sharp inhale came next at the third strike, and he desperately wished that Kaitlyn would have chosen any other method for torture. With each passing strike, Jake was slowly transported back to the dungeons beneath Rebecca’s castle. He could hear himself screaming, begging, and weeping as Rebecca continued to beat him without mercy. The unanswered question came back to his mind: had he actually survived that night?

The compound faded away as his mind took him back to the chambers he'd woken in a day after his torture. Dilatrix stood over him with that impassive look on her face. She announced that it was done before taking her leave, and Jake could feel the scars and welts on his back and chest. Bloodied and bandaged, he laid on a filthy bed and shook with terror. The last thing he remembered was Rebecca standing over him and that godawful red light from the camera in the background. His chest felt heavy and breathing was difficult. Surely, Rebecca had cracked more than a few ribs. The door swung open, and there she was in all of her glory: Rebecca, the Goth Goddess. Her face was the epdiemy of regret and remorse as she walked over; the complete opposite of the face he'd seen before blacking out.

"Stop, stop!" Razor begged, breaking Jake out of his traumatic trance and bringing him back to reality, "Fucking stop, I'll talk, you sick…"

"Oh, she broke faster than I thought, Mistress," Addy cooed, reminding Jake of just how twisted these women could be.

"It's in the wrist, Addy," Kaitlyn smiled at her sub as she rolled the whip up and handed it back to her before ruffling her hair, "Now, I believe you have some information for me, Rhea."

Jake looked down at Razor and his eyes widened. Her face was cut from the repeated blows from the leather whip, her lip was split, and she had a bruise forming around her eye from where Kaitlyn had hit her. "Fine, just fucking promise me that psycho takes it easy the rest of the night," Razor panted.

"Mm, do I have to, Mistress?" Addy pouted.

"If she talks, then yes," Kaitlyn answered, "You'll be fine, Addy. If you'll recall, proper training requires positive reinforcement. It's not always about punishment, is it?"

Addy hung her head, clearly embarrassed that she'd overlooked her own tutelage under Kaitlyn, "You're right, Mistress, forgive me for forgetting and questioning you."

"Fucking pathetic," Razor grumbled before wailing as Kaitlyn planted her boot on her neck and pushing her down.

"Don't insult my girl," Kaitlyn warned, "She's learning, but she's already wiser than a rat like you will ever be. Do not make me regret my mercy, Rhea. I'm going to remove my boot, and you're going to sit up and tell me everything about Duchess and Murray. If I think you're holding anything back, or lying, then you're suffering will resume. Do I make myself clear, little girl?"

Razor managed a nod, and Kaitlyn removed her boot to take a step back. "Crystal," Razor wheezed as she sat up, "You're talking about Ritters, the old warden from when bitch-boy over there was locked up, yeah?"

"No, the other Duchess," Kaitlyn scoffed.

"I'm just trying to make sure!" Razor snapped, sighing and lowering her voice as to not anger her captors further, "Alright, but there's not much to tell. She called me into her office with a job offer before the breakout. I never gave her a yes or a no, but she had a notebook she was taking shit down in. I don't know what for, but she said she was looking for talent. Said I fit the bill for what she was needing, but I haven't heard anything outside of a couple of letters left outside my pad. Before you ask, I burned the motherfuckers after reading them. All they said was that the offer was still good, and that I just needed to go to that fucking ranch, okay? I swear, that's all I've got on her."

Kaitlyn frowned and sighed, "That's a pity, but you're telling the truth. Now, let's talk about Murray. The woman dressed as a nurse who gave you the medicine you've been using to rig your fights."

"Tch, let's see you turn down a payday as big as what that lunatic offered," Razor scoffed, surprising Jake and Kaitlyn, "You think I was drugging those idiots because I can't fight? Yeah, I purposefully did it with pretty boy over there because I wanted my toy back, but the others would have been easy. A grand for every report I turned in on how the stuff worked, how the victims reacted, if they could still feel afterwards, and how long it lasted. I fought every damn night for nearly a month, and she approached me after two days. Do the math on that for a minute. I nearly have enough stashed to pay my fucking bail."

"She'd paying you that much?" Jake asked, shocked and completely baffled at where Dr. Murray was getting the money.

"Where do you collect?" Kaitlyn asked, ignoring Jake, "I know Murray well enough to know that she's not paying you in person, and I doubt you have a bank account. Where's the drop?"

"Changed on a weekly basis," Razor explained, "She'd resupply me with more of her shit, and I'd collect the cash at a dead drop underground."

"Show me," Kaitlyn ordered, nodding at Addy, "Unchain her, but try anything and I'll make you regret it."

"Too goddamn sore to try shit," Razor grumbled, "I'm not as dumb as you assholes think I am. I know who you are, Mistress K. Kaitlyn the fucking Conqueror, I used to idolize you when I was in school. You were the single baddest woman in Metropolis before you tucked tail and ran."

"I chose to survive, Rhea, there's a difference between running and changing direction," Kaitlyn said as Addy fished the key out and helped Razor to her feet, "I saw the fate that was waiting for me, and I made a choice to go a different way. You're young, so I don't expect you to understand. Money and power are what motivate you now, but if you manage to survive your youth, you'll change that tune. Point out to me on this map where the drops were, and I'll release you back into the custody of my good little prodigy."

"Yeah, really looking forward to that," Razor scoffed, but she did as she was told.

"This can be fun for you, if you're a good girl," Addy piped up, unnerving Jake with how much she'd changed.

Jake stood up and wobbled a bit as he walked over to the map of Metropolis Kaitlyn had rolled out. Razor didn't even look at him as she pointed out the different places she'd received her goods and payments. Each time, Kaitlyn would mark it with a thumbtack on her map. Half of a pentaton was formed, and Jake made a mental note of the area for future examination. Razor finished and stepped back before crossing her arms, "That's all of them. Last one is that one there, but I doubt you'll find that wacko."

"This will suffice," Kaitlyn nodded before looking up at Addy, "Addy, why don't you clean your toy up a bit? She looks like she hasn't bathed in a week, and I'm afraid I've gotten her a bit bloody."

"I don't need somebody bathing me!" Razor snapped as Addy jumped up with excitement.

"Oh, that's a wonderful idea, Mistress!" Addy exclaimed, grabbing Razor’s hand, "Come, let's have a look at those tattoos and get you nice and clean. Be a good girl, and maybe I'll give you a reward."

"Don't touch me, you psycho!" Razor snapped, pulling away.

"Mistress, can I still punish her if she's being bad?" Addy asked, causing Razor to freeze.

"Of course, how else will she learn?" Kaitlyn grinned and added, "I'd suggest you do as your told for the rest of the night, girl. Addy can be equally sweet and cruel when she's tested. I've trained her well, and she wasn't wasn't this obedient. Use sense for once in your life, and make this easy on yourself, Rhea."

"Fine," Razor sighed, relaxing and letting Addy pull her along, "But be fucking gentle, you lunatic. Your goddamn Mistress just beat the shit out of me."

"Do as your told, and you'll be fine," Addy replied as they disappeared back down the hallway.

"This a typical Friday night for you?" Jake asked, studying the map, "Interrogations followed by some weird sex?"

"Like you've got room to talk," Kaitlyn laughed, "No, this is more uncommon as of late. I've been out and away the last month trying to track down information of Murray and where she's been getting her supplies. You, Pam, and Beth have had your hands full, but I've been trying to figure out where the missing pieces to this puzzle are. Murray is a smaller fish, but she's tied to the larger scheme of things. Duchess is a damn wrinkle in an otherwise picture-perfect sheet, though. You were looking into her before your arrest, right?"

"How do you know that?" Jake asked, "How the hell do you know any of this stuff, Kait?"

"Addy and I have been working in the shadows since shortly after Goth was defeated," Kaitlyn explained, "How are you holding up, by the way? I haven't asked, and you don't have to answer if you don't want to."

"You mean after you conditioned her," Jake clarified, "I'm…getting better, I think. It's been a rough time for me, but I guess that's to he expected when you kill the woman you love, right?"

Kaitlyn sighed as she grabbed a bottle of wine and two mugs, "You have a strange sense of humor, Jake. Drink up, I think you could use it."

"Last drink I had kind of fucked me up," Jake said as Kaitlyn poured him a glass, "This won't mess with that shot I had, will it?"

"It's wine, Jake, nothing too strong," Kaitlyn smiled as she sat down after pouring herself one, "The medicine should be taking effect soon enough. So, you're not trying to fill a void with Alexis then."

"No, this is me genuinely trying to move on," Jake shook his head as he took a swig, "Ash will tell you, I was whoring around Metropolis for the first month after Rebecca was gone. Man, she was so pissed at me during that. You remember that story on the news about Claudia Sinclair?"

"Yes, the clown chick who was demanding you as part of her hostage situation," Kaitlyn nodded, taking a sip of her own drink.

"Yeah, Beth came by and kicked her out of my house after a one-night stand," Jake chuckled, "God, I thought Beth was going to shoot her then and there. In my defense, I didn't realize she was that crazy when I brought her home. Then there's the bartender at the Broken Rail. I had no idea who she was, but apparently I took her home one night as well. I was a walking shit-show for a while there before Courtney showed up and sent everything into a real spiral."

"Considering you brokered your soul to the devil in exchange for being able to kill your ex, I can't say I blame you," Kaitlyn admitted, "Not that your choices were smart, but that's never been your prerogative."

Jake shrugged and finished his cup of wine. He put it down and frowned, "So what are you doing, Kait? What's this whole operation you're running supposed to accomplish?"

"There's the elephant in the room," Kaitlyn smirked, finishing her own drink before answering, "Before you and the others joined up with us against Goth, Jay kept going on and on about some big war coming. I kept thinking that he was referring to the fight with Goth, but he kept insisting that wasn't it. A week after we parted ways, he sent me a message about the Brunswick Corporation. He asked if I'd be willing to dig into them, see what I could find on the streets, and try to uncover any links between activities in the city and them. So, I started doing just that while continuing to train my subordinate."

Kaitlyn paused to pour herself another drink before continuing, "Addy was a handful the first few outings. She fought me every step of the way, cursed me for betraying her Goddess, and literally tried to stab me in the back more than once. She bit me twice after I tied her up for a night. I'd have been furious if I hadn't seen the devotion that was hiding beneath the surface just waiting to be redirected to someone who would take care of her."

"Starting to sound like you're attached to her, Kait," Jake smiled before frowning, "You're getting off topic, though. You can tell me about your relationship after you tell me what you dug up about Emily. If you were looking into them, then I'm guessing you're already aware that the Children of Darkness and Myers were connected to the Brunswicks."

"The Children were around when Goth was running amuck," Kaitlyn corrected Jake, "We captured one that was trying to infiltrate her royal guard. We thought they'd be inclined to help us, but all they did was rave about the second coming of their messiah. I had no idea Chasity was one of them, though. Clever little bitch managed to slip right through our fingers. As far as Myers goes, that woman died while you were still living in Citiville under Goth's thumb. It went under the radar considering she was only an aspiring politician at the time, but I found the records at the library. Well, Addy found them, I should say. Books and studying were the only things that kept her from flying off the handle until she finally learned to accept that I'm not her enemy."

"Karen Black, the detective transfer from Citiville, she was working under Duchess during her time here. The thing about that is, Duchess was a broke ghost for over a year. That traitorous woman lost everything after you and Beth managed to take her down last time. Then, she suddenly starts up a BDSM retreat for refugees that grew fond of Goth's way of life. While you went to personally pay her a visit, Addy and I found her financial advisor. A few hours with Addy, and he was willing to spill everything he knew. Apparently, Duchess came into a rather large sum of money in the form of a few different off-shore shell companies that he couldn't explain. The checks cleared, and the deed to Ravenfalls was transferred into her name after a short back and forth. It's funny how that can work, isn't it? A bit of money to grease the palms of the untrustworthy here and there, and things just seem to fall into place."

"That's always been her damn moniker," Jake spat, "That and that damn tongue of hers. She's different now, though, Kait. I fought her at the prison, and she nearly kicked Alexis and my ass. I don't know where she learned to fight, but she's stronger than I remember."

"That could be a personal trainer, or it could be something from the good doctor," Kaitlyn mused, "My bet would be the prior. Duchess isn't one for surgery unless she knows it's going to make her look better. The kind of things Murray has been doing have been much more…experimental as of late. Duchess has some connection to the Brunswicks, that much I'm certain of, but she's a small pain in a much larger picture. Murray is a moving piece, just like your psychotic ex Courtney. Murray has been playing a part in this since the beginning. You remember the bodies you were finding back before Courtney took over the television?"

"Yeah, the incisions were perfect and matched up with Murray's works," Jake nodded.

"She was practicing on strays to get ready for something bigger," Kaitlyn explained, "Whatever it is, it's not going to be pretty. Someone is helping her, keeping her far away from the spotlight. Courtney, your arrest, Myers, all of it was meant to throw you off the scent of something much more sinister. Slight of hand, Jake, watch the left while the right stabs you in the back. Now, you three have a job to do, and it's not like you can let these threats go unchecked. However, while you three chase the left, Addy and I can try to catch the right. That's what I've been doing, Jake, that's what I'm trying to accomplish. If I have to beat it out of the lowest scum, or the highest king, I'll do it to keep disaster from striking because you three have been too busy."

"The parasite that attached itself to Courtney was from Brunswick," Jake sighed, "I've been digging into my board lately, launching an investigation to try to uncover anyone who might have had ties to Emily from before the takeover. What if I get you a list of names for you to check into? Do you think you can get anything out of them?"

"I know about the parasite and it's origins," Kaitlyn sighed, "Listen to me, because I'm not saying this twice. Courtney wasn't your fault, Jake. That woman made a choice to try to make a difference, but she went about it the wrong way. Your history before then, that didn't make her into what she is now. Now, as far as your list goes, if they're hiding something, we'll get them to talk."

"Still weird getting a peptalk from you," Jake chuckled as he sat back.

"Still weird to give one to you," Kaitlyn smirked before getting serious, "Do not send me this list electronically, Jake. You've already made two mistakes lately, and I won't be part of a third."

"What mistakes?" Jake asked.

"Keeping Courtney alive, for one," Kaitlyn pointed out, "That parasite has taken her, and there's nothing you can do to save her. The second was bringing that young girl into your game. Isley, I believe is her name."

"You're telling me, I'm about fifteen grand down," Jake scoffed, "I can't give up on Courtney, though, Kait. She got that way because of what was in my warehouse, and I owe it to her to try to fix her."

"Sometimes death is the greatest mercy you can give, Blackridge, you'd do well to learn that," Kaitlyn said, her voice grim, "Your money isn't what you need to be concerned about with Isley. A girl that talented is going to draw attention the more she digs into women like Myers and Duchess. Myers was a sham, but someone was behind that mask. Whoever it was worked hard to keep the real Myers death a secret."

"Ingrid is a lot of things, but she's not stupid," Jake argued, "I don't see her hitching her wagon to whoever is working behind the scenes."

"There's many things that motivate people, Jake, and all it takes is knowing who you're dealing with to make the right move," Kaitlyn countered, "Everyone has a weakness to be exploited. It's just a matter of figuring out what it is. Whoever is behind all of this is a master manipulator. I hope that I'm wrong, but I'd be careful if I were you."

Jake looked down at his empty cup and shook his head, "You think whoever this person is might have gotten to her?"

"You haven't heard from her since you last spoke," Kaitlyn pointed out, "That's a red flag, even if she was more into women than sissies."

"Fuck yo-" Jake started before his eyes widened, "Son of a bitch!"

"What?" Kaitlyn asked as Jake shot up and started towards the exit, "Hey, you want to tell me what's wrong?"

"Goddammit, I should have seen this sooner," Jake swore.

"Jake, wait a damn minute!" Kaitlyn ordered, catching up to him and grabbing his arm, "What the hell are you on about?"

"Ingrid," Jake hissed through gritted teeth, "Fuck me, I should have known when those girls matching Beth's description started popping up!"

"You think that's her behind that?" Kaitlyn asked, pulling Jake back, "Would you stop for a damn minute?!"

"I need to call Pam, Kait," Jake snapped, pulling his arm away, finally feeling like his old self again.

"Mm, where are we?" Ashley's voice came through, her consciousness finally reawakened as the medicine did its trick.

"Take a minute here, Blackridge," Kaitlyn warned, "When you run into something hot, that's when you always fuck up. Your emotions are what screw you, it's always been that way."

"Beth is staying in tonight, but if Ingrid is looking for her, then that's gonna be a problem, Kait," Jake said.

"And you think telling Beth, who's more hot-headed than you, is the smart play?" Kaitlyn asked, "You tell her that this woman is killing innocents because she wants her, what do you think she's going to do?"

Jake glared at Kaitlyn for a minute before he thought about her question. "Dammit, she'll go on the warpath looking for her and walk right into a trap," Jake sighed, "What do you suggest then?"

"That you meet with Pam and tell her," Kaitlyn answered, "Beth isn't going to stop going out, especially if she knows people are getting hurt because of her. You two have always had bleeding hearts, and that's what always made you easy to manipulate and play. Your best bet is Pam and Beth's newfound submission. That's the best way you can keep her out of the line or fire."

"Pam's already been trying that, and it's just led to them fighting," Jake said, "Beth is stubborn, and their relationship has become much less one-sided. Pam still calls most of the shots, but Beth is an equal in her eyes. Fucking, shit, Sally was just talking about what Pam would do if Beth got hurt too."

"If Ingrid is working for these people, then odds are she's more dangerous than before," Kaitlyn said, "She's an unknown right now, and that's what you need to be concerned about. Addy and I can try to look into her if you want."

"No, you two keep tracking Murray," Jake said, "It's like you said, we'll chase the left while you catch the right. We can't afford to tip our hand if someone is trying to rig the table. Just…try to keep in touch, will you?"

"I can send Addy with messages, and you can leave anything for me in the gardens behind your manor," Kaitlyn nodded, glad thay Jake was finally understanding the gravity of everything to am extent, "She's a stealthy little thing, and she's better at sticking to shadows than you'd think."

"No kidding, I barely saw her back at the bar," Jake said.

"She blends in well, and she moves like a cat most of the time," Kaitlyn chuckled, "I've concisered tying a bell around her neck at times."

"Alright that sounds like a plan," Jake said, walking back to the elevator, "I need to get back home regardless, though. I need to check a few things, log some others, and get that list for you. Hey, didn't you say Sally was supposed to meet us here?"

"I did," Kaitlyn replied, hitting the button to the elevator, but immediately grabbing Jake and throwing him to the side when her gut twisted, "Move!"

"What the fuck?!" Jake shouted as he was suddenly tossed to the side as the doors opened and a gunshot rang out, "Huh?"

"Let go of me, you fucking cunt!" Sally's voice echoed.

"Quiet, bait," another voice barked, one that Jake hadn't heard in a long, long time, "Jake Blackridge, come out with your hands up and get on your knees! Don't make this harder than it needs to be, boy. Nobody has to die tonight, not unless you choose the hard way."

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," Jake grumbled as he got up and slowly stalked forward.

"Jake, stay where you are!" Kaitlyn ordered.

"I don't give two shits who does what, but someone get this crazy bitch off me!" Sally exclaimed before choking as her captor tightened her arm around her neck.

"Be quiet, woman," the voice hissed, "As long as your friend cooperates, you'll be free to go soon enough. I don't have any interest in you; you're not worth anything to me."

"Screw…you…bitch," Sally managed to wheeze out as Jake ignored Kaitlyn and walked forward.

"Dammit, Jake, I said-" Kaitlyn growled.

"I heard you," Jake cut her off, holding his hands up and walking back into the line of sight, "But she's not bluffing if she's got Sally. Isn't that right, Sadie?"

"Hmph, still observant, but not enough to see me coming, eh, Jake?" Sadie chuckled, cocking the hammer on her sidearm again and pushing the barrel against Sally's temple.

Jake stepped into view, and his suspicions were confirmed. There in the elevator standing behind Sally's wide frame was none other than Sadie Wilson. A long black coat hung over her shoulders, but Jake could see her armor underneath it. The dark pink plates across her chest, thighs, shoulders, wrists, and shins protected her arteries without restricting her movements. An eyepatch over her left eye, and a scar jutting out just beyond the patch. She was taller than Sally, but she was lean and strong. A large forty-five caliber pistol in her hand, a rifle slung over her shoulder, and a sword sticking out from her coat. The belt she wore had several pockets, and Jake knew from past run-ins with her that she had a plethora of toys and gadgets tucked away. Finally, the familiar black hair hung past her shoulders with that bold white streak cutting through the center of it.

"I'm here, so you can let Sally go," Jake said, not wanting any bloodshed on his account.

"On your knees, Blackridge," Sadie ordered, pushing her pistol against Sally's head once more for good measure, "Do it unless you want this cow silenced for good."

"One more motherfucker calls me a damn cow, and I'm gonna-ack!" Sally started before Sadie silenced her by tightening her grip once again on her throat.

"Okay, okay, relax," Jake said, getting on his knees and putting his hands behind his head, "I'm not resisting, see?"

Sadie flicked her eyes over to Kaitlyn, and Jake swore he saw something beyond her usual icy demeanor flash for a split-second. "Good to see you again, Kait," she said, her voice much less aggressive than usual as she reached into her coat and tossed a rope before grabbing Sally again, "Do me a favor and tie that little whelp up for me, will you?"

"Like hell I will," Kaitlyn scoffed as the rope landed at her feet, "What are you doing, Sadie?"

"Don't be like that, this is business, Kait," Sadie frowned, and again Jake was confused as he watched the exchange, "You know I wouldn't barge into your home unless there was a hefty paycheck on the line."

"Yeah, because that's what it's always been about with you, isn't it?" Kaitlyn sneered and crossed her arms, "Who's the contract for this time, Sadie?"

"Am I missing something here?" Jake asked.

"You know I don't disclose clients, Kait," Sadie sighed, "Just tie the boy up, and I can be on my way. Of course, I could always come back once I've delivered him."

"I'm not letting you take him, Sade," Kaitlyn said, taking a step forward, "You're going to have to let go of her and tie him up yourself, but to do that you'll have to get through me."

"Think I'm going to let our past stop me?" Sadie scoffed, "You're the one who walked away, Kait."

"Sadie, don't make this into something it doesn't have to be," Kaitlyn sighed, looking away, "I know you, I know how you operate. Please, just walk away from this one."

"Hmph, that's almost convincing," Sadie sighed, shoving Sally before rushing towards Jake to grab him, "Unfortunately, I've got a reputation to uphold!"

Jake was reminded of just how fast Kaitlyn was for her size when she appeared behind him and snatched Sadie's hand. "Don't make me do this," Kaitlyn said, her voice softer than Jake had ever heard it.

Sadie stared at Kaitlyn for a moment before grabbing a knife that was sheathed on her chest. She sliced upward, but Kaitlyn sidestepped to dodge it. Jake's confusion continued to grow as he watched Kaitlyn take more of a defensive stance rather than her usual offensive one. Sadie thrust her knife forward, but Kaitlyn deflected her stab with her arm and knocked it away. Sadie dropped the knife and caught it with her other hand before spinning and trying to cut Kaitlyn again. Kaitlyn leaned back out of the way of a diagonal slice aimed at her face. She wrapped her arm around Sadie's to lock her in place, and Sadie paused to glare as she tried to break the hold.

"Dammit, Kait!" Sadie snapped, unleashing a spinning kick to free herself, "Why are you helping this little bastard?! What do you care, huh?!"

"Some of us know how to change," Kaitlyn said, circling around to get between Jake and Sadie, "It's called growth, Sade, and it's one of the reasons it didn't work. Please, I'm begging you here, walk away from this one."

"I'm not walking away from a payday that'll set me up years to come," Sadie scoffed, twirling her knife, "Stand down, Kait, I don't want to hurt you if I don't have to."

"Who put the contract out, Sadie?" Kaitlyn demanded, her tone hardening as she noticed Sally reaching for her gun, "Don't even think about it! She's my problem to deal with, Sally, not yours. Pull that trigger, and I'll break your damn fingers!"

"Fucking bitch nearly wrecked my bike," Sally grumbled, but she raised her hands, "Alright, fine, I'm backing off."

"So, you do still care," Sadie chuckled before moving in for another attack, "I'd be touched if you weren't in my way!"

Kaitlyn deflected another stab with ease, and saw Sadie's counter coming. As she twisted to go for another slice, Kait dodged and hit her in the gut with a surprise knee that caused her to stumble. "I saved you from a shot in the back," Kaitlyn said, raising her hands as Sadie recovered, "Tell me who wants him, Sadie!"

"You really want to know, don't you?" Sadie scoffed, tossing her blade from her right to her left, "Fine, an eye for an eye, I guess. Duchess wants this little shit for herself. She's offering a pretty penny for him, and I need to update my apartment."

"You're working for Duchess?!" Kaitlyn shouted, "And here I thought you had some honor, Sadie."

"Honor doesn't pay the bills, Kait," Sadie snapped, moving in to try to surprise her, "That's something you never understood!"

Kaitlyn caught Sadie's wrist this time, and she pulled her in for a headbutt as her anger got the better of her. Sadie stumbled back for a second, but she shook off the pain quickly. Sadie darted from side to side as things started to heat up between the two women. Sadie jumped into the air and tucked herself into a ball before kicking out at Kaitlyn with her right leg. Kaitlyn blocked with her forearms, but Sadie landed behind her and swung her knife up as Kaitlyn turned around. The edge of the blade barely managed to cut through part of Kaitlyn's top, but she'd still yet to make contact with her flesh. Sadie tried to thrust her blade into Kaitlyn's shoulder, but Kaitlyn caught her hands once again.

"What's going on out here?" Addy's voice came from the hallway, "Mistress?!"

"Addy, stay back!" Kaitlyn ordered as her subordinate went for her sword.

Sadie glanced over at the young redhead who'd frozen in place at Kaitlyn's request. "Hmph, trying out newer models, Kait?" she asked, "I'd have thought experience would win out of smooth curves."

"Don't talk about her like that, Sadie," Kaitlyn warned, twisting her wrists and locking her in place, "Unlike you, she's loyal and knows what honor means."

"Don't talk like I don't have a code, Kait!" Sadie barked as she threw herself up and wrapped her legs around Kaitlyn's arms to lock in an armbar.

"Someone with a code of ethics and honor wouldn't be working for a snake like Duchess!" Kaitlyn argued as she slung Sadie off to the side and slammed her against a nearby table.

Sadie rolled off of Kaitlyn's arms before any serious damage could be done to her back. She stood up and rolled her neck, "It's not like working for her personally," Sadie scoffed, "One contract doesn't mean anything, Kait, you should know that."

"I know that's the same excuse you used years ago," Kaitlyn said, her voice barely a whisper, "Sadie, please, if our time meant anything to you, you'll walk away from this one. I know there's still a shred of honor in you under that greed. You're a talented woman, always have been, you'll find another job. Let him go, and don't make me do something I'll regret, please."

Sadie stared at Kaitlyn for a solid minute before she sighed and sheathed her blade, "Fine, but only because it's you, Kait. Don't expect me to acquiesce your request twice, though. I'll let this one slide, but your boy has a target on his back. Don't expect me to walk away if someone else makes an offer."

Kaitlyn relaxed as Sadie huffed and turned to leave, "Thank you, Sadie."

"We're even, Kait," Sadie called over her shoulder as she walked back towards the elevator and passed Jake, "Make sure to show her the thanks she deserves, boy. If it weren't for her, you'd be well on your way to the ranch by now."

Jake nodded, still just as lost as he had been the moment Kaitlyn and Sadie had started fighting. Sadie walked into the elevator and smiled at Kaitlyn before the doors shut and she was gone. Sally walked over to help him up and he shook his head, "Any idea what that was about?"

"One of the top mercs in the country just busted in here because Ritters wants you for herself," Sally replied, "You have got a way with pissing off and attracting the craziest of the crazy, kid."

"No, I got that, and not entirely my fault," Jake said, "I meant that whole exchange between those two."

"Debatable," Ashley hummed in response to Jake's argument, "You have a way of getting involved with women that want to abuse you. Given some of our late-night encounters, I'd say you're a glutton for punishment, love."

Kaitlyn walked over to Jake to check on him, but she stopped and sighed when she looked back at Addy, "Addy, you can relax, dear. She's gone, and she's not going to be a problem again."

Addy's shoulders slumped, and Jake swore he saw her start to pout. "You wanna tell me what that was all about?" he asked, motioning for the elevator.

"A long story and an old flame," Kaitlyn replied, "She and I dated for a while a few years ago, but business always took precedence over us. It didn't work out, but she still texts me or calls once in a while."

"You dated Sadie Wilson?" Jake asked in disbelief.

"Villains have lives outside of crime, genius," Kaitlyn scoffed, "We do more than just plot and attack innocents. We lead lives, try to make connections, and even have relationships, Jake."

"Speaking of," Jake nodded at Addy who stood still as a statue and seemed to be shifting uncomfortably, "I think you might need to have a talk with her about whatever just happened. Far be it from me to offer relationship advice, but I think she's a little shook up."

Kaitlyn glanced over her shoulder and frowned, "She's worried that I still have feelings for Sadie," she sighed, "As sweet as Addy is, she's slightly insecure given how she came to belong to me. Sally, can you get him home?"

"Yeah, provided your ex doesn't try to fuck us up and ambush us," Sally nodded.

"She won't," Kaitlyn said, "Sadie is greedy, but she's a woman of her word. You're lucky you were here when she made her move. Go home, you two, and plan your next moves carefully. Remember what we talked about, Jake, and I'll send Addy out tomorrow night to collect that list."

"Sounds good," Jake sighed, "Thanks, Kait, for everything tonight."

"You owe me, Blackridge, but lucky for you, I'm not the woman I was months ago," Kaitlyn grinned as she turned around, "I'll be in touch. Give my regards to Beth and Pam. Oh, and Sally, my apologies for any damage done to your bike."

"Eh, I needed something to do anyways," Sally waved her off, "She still runs, but I'll have to work on her back at the house. No big deal. Good to see ya, Kait."

"You as well," Kaitlyn said, walking over and addressing Addy, "Addy, dear, why the long face?"

"I-nothing, Mistress," Addy said, glancing at Jake and Sally.

"Don't be shy, dear," Kaitlyn said, her tone reassuring, "Come and talk to me before your toy for the night gets restless. We can talk in private, if you prefer."

"Y-yes, Mistress, I'd like that," Addy said, seemingly relaxing as Kaitlyn put an arm around her and led her down the hall.

"Wild night, eh, kid?" Sally chuckled, "Cage fights, old friends, old enemies, and we got to watch two exes fight it out. Honestly, it was better than I expected."

"You're not kidding," Jake agreed, "I got some information about the murders too, but I need your opinion on what to do. Come on, we can talk back at my place, and I'll see if I can't find the parts you need to fix your bike."

"Throw in a drink, and you got a deal, kid," Sally grinned, clapping a hand on his shoulder as they walked towards the elevator.
© Copyright 2023 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055673-Chapter-3