*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/340877-Interruptions-and-being-a-writing-mother
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#340877 added April 12, 2005 at 7:34pm
Restrictions: None
Interruptions and being a writing mother
Interruptions, interruptions, and more interruptions this morning. I was sleeping really deeply this morning, dreaming some interesting dreams when the alarm went off. It was strange because normally I'm rising from sleep before the alarm buzzes but this morning I was rather disappointed to be woken up.

The kids were wanting to get up and at it with me like they have each day for the last week. In the morning at least they are content to play while I write. So I've gotten used to hearing their chatter and clang and music in the background as I write. This morning however we encountered demand after demand.

"Mummy, I can't get all the poopy," The sound of my newly toilet trained daughter who'd made quite a mess of herself and needed rescuing. So pause goes the writing and bath goes the daughter. Ten minutes later, she's clean, dry and dressed so back to my writing.

"Mummy, I'm hungry can I have something to eat?" She always asks first although I almost always let her help herself. She usually has a small tub of Yogo first thing in the morning as part of her breakfast. She comes back with tub in hand a few minutes later, "Mummy, can you please open this for me?"

Sighs, interruption. Joshua wanted to be picked up. Joshua had gotten Yogo all over himself after licking out the tub Kaylie gave him after she'd finished. Sighs, interruption.

I have discovered to be a mother and a writer at the same time you have to deal with the fact that your writing time might be scattered with disruption. I'm getting pretty good at keeping the story running in my head while I deal with each interruption and to get right back from where I am to continue.

So, twenty minutes for today is done. I'm making a very decent dent into my novel. Now is the time to enjoy the rest of the day with my kids and look forward to writing more tomorrow, interruptions and all.

© Copyright 2005 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/340877-Interruptions-and-being-a-writing-mother