*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/429210-Memorial-Day
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#429210 added May 29, 2006 at 1:47am
Restrictions: None
Memorial Day
We all went to church this morning, then home to change clothes and gather up broom, scrub brush, water and flowers to take to the cemetary. This is an annual ritual for Bill, to tend the graves of his parents, grandparents and great grandparents. The Howard family had their own wagon train, and it continued to Sheridan, Oregon.

Bill's greatgrandfather was a Methodist minister who started at least three churches in this area and others in the state. It says on his tombstone, "He died at his post." He actually did; he died in the pulpit. I'm certainly glad I haven't ever had that happen at a service!

Every year Bill wonders if anyone will tend the graves when we're gone. Probably not. His children live in Florida. Mine aren't involved in this ritual, wouldn't even know where to go or what to do. To think that no one else will care the way he has makes him sad.

© Copyright 2006 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/429210-Memorial-Day