*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/522729-Today-is-Recycling-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#522729 added July 21, 2007 at 1:00pm
Restrictions: None
Today is Recycling Day
9 Kalimat 164 BE – July 21, 2007 at 10:00:08 AM PDT

Today is recycling day in my neighborhood, it’s also day 8 of the 21 Days of Poetry Challenge II. Now what, one may ask, does one have to do with the other? The answer is simple a Cherished Memory. OK, we all cherish different memories from our childhood. Why some memories come to us out of the blue and others are brought back to us when we hear a noise or inhale a scent I don’t know. It doesn’t really matter why a memory comes at a specific time.

Anyway the thing that caused me to remember Grandma Newland’s Rag Bag, was the sound of the recyclable truck. This is interesting, because when I was growing up in Blackwell there were no recyclable trucks. There were garbage trucks and they looked very similar to the trash trucks of today. Grandma’s ragbag was a large cloth sack she had sown together and the top had a cord or a drawstring in it so it to close and hang on the walk-in-closet door.

Since today’s prompt was Cherished Memories, I wrote about Grandma’s ragbag. I suppose there are other cherished memories about the Grandparent’s that I could write about, but this is the first time the memory of the ragbag has come to me. I’m not sure why the recyclable truck brought that memory back. The recyclables I took out were cans and plastic bottles. I still have other plastic bottles in the garage waiting for me to take them to the curb in two weeks. I think it’s going to take me a while to catch up on the recyclables and get that stuff out of my garage. If I’m lucky I’ll have my garage completely cleaned out by December 31, 2007.

I’m looking forward to see what the rest of the prompts are for this poetry challenge. My responses up to this point has surprised me, I’m excited. I’m like a child with a new toy. Listed below are the prompts for each day so far and my responses.

July 21 – Prompt: Cherished Memories – My response "Invalid Entry
July 20 – Prompt: Animal Instincts from animal’s Point of View – My response "Invalid Entry
July 19 – Prompt: Hot in the city! an evening out in the city – My response "Invalid Entry
July 18 – Prompt: Let’s get Emotional – My response "Invalid Entry
July 17 – Prompt: Your Favorite Cliché – My response "Invalid Entry
July 16 – Prompt: The Great Outdoors – My response "Invalid Entry
July 15 – Prompt: First Date Jitters – My response "Invalid Entry
July 14 – Prompt: Write your own eulogy – My response "Invalid Entry

© Copyright 2007 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/522729-Today-is-Recycling-Day