*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/761765-Getting-out
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#761765 added October 1, 2012 at 9:03am
Restrictions: None
Getting out....
A new month is here with a new and fresher smell in the air, cool and crisp. Mopsy got me up this morning about 6:15. She does this by jumping up on the night table and knocking pictures off onto the floor. I was awake anyway so I enjoyed a cup of coffee on the porch in the near darkness. It amazes me how noisy it can be at 6:30 in the morning. I live about a mile from I-75, and the morning stillness magnifies the sounds of car and truck traffic. I imagine most of the drivers are healthcare workers going to their morning shifts. We have three fairly huge hospitals here in Gainesville.

I went to the Thornebrook Art Festival on Saturday, about two miles from me. It was very enjoyable with some amazing displays and extremely crowded as usual. Christine Schmidt, a mixed media artist, displayed some fantastic pictures of paper collage. The color and realism, as the teens used to say, blew my mind, all made with glued-on tiny pieces of paper. Wow!

There was live entertainment during most of the afternoon. Needing a little rest time, I sat and watched the dance troupe. The four young girls came out into the central stage area. Up on their toes, the net of their pink tutus trembled with each tiny step, The uneven brick pavement tortured the balls of their feet through thin pink slippers, and the afternoon heat effervesced on their naked foreheads. Although dancers do not show much expression, normally just pasted-on smiles, these were young girls, late teens probably, and my seat was up close and personal. Their eyes told their stories, fear of a mistake, concentration, longing to please parents and friends, fatigue, pain...it was all there. They were so beautiful.

Yesterday I decided to go to a movie. My last seat in front of the big screen was with my granddaughter to see Narnia, about seven years ago, I think. My selection? Clint Eastwood, of course, in Trouble With The Curve. I loved it. It had everything...baseball, romance, father-daughter relationship, and a happy ending. Going to a movie alone has its perks. You get to pick the movie, go when you want, sit where you want, and leave when you want...but it is a little lonesome. And nobody to talk it over with after....

On with October.

till next time.....c

© Copyright 2012 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/761765-Getting-out