*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/772679-Chicken-Soup-the-Healer-of-Nations
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#772679 added January 25, 2013 at 1:04am
Restrictions: None
Chicken Soup the Healer of Nations
The January 25, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
What comfort measures do you use for your loved ones when they're sick with a cold or flu?
Or, what do your loved ones do for you when you're sick with a cold or flu?

All right, maybe the title is over the cliff, but my Grandmother swore, and she didn't take her oaths lightly, that chicken soup was the best medicine for a cold. The flu, on the other hand, was something you consulted a doctor about. Grandma lived through and remembered The Influenza Pandemic of 1918, so when it came to the flu she took no chances especially when it came to her child and grandchildren.

When any of her four grandchildren caught a cold, Grandma would make a big pot of chicken soup. I don't know whether it cured our colds, but it sure made us feel better. Mom made chicken soup for us as well, but it's my grandmother's chicken soup I remember best and I miss the most. I never could make it exactly like grandma, I'm not sure why; perhaps I didn't pay close enough attention when she was making it or helping me learn to cook.

I have no body
To make chicken soup for me
Or to make it for


My personal remedy for a cold or the flu is jalapeño peppers. I don't use this remedy on anyone else, unless the person begs me on bended knees. A jalapeño has a heat level of 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville Units, which is hot enough for me. I like to mix jalapeño with other foods such as black eyed peas, beans, eggs, and hamburgers. I've never tried putting jalapeño in chicken soup, but that may be something I want to try at some future date.

Thought for the Day: "Life is like a jar of jalapeños. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow." ~ Garfield, The Cat (at least I think it's a Garfield quote) http://www.laughitout.com/2009/01/life-is-like-jalapenos.html



© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/772679-Chicken-Soup-the-Healer-of-Nations