*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/774438-Heart-Day
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#774438 added February 10, 2013 at 7:50pm
Restrictions: None
Heart Day...
Everyone who isn't hibernating (only bears, right) knows Valentine's Day is this Thursday. Our consumer culture will not let us forget, me included. Without Jim for the first year in fifty, I look forward to it with just a little dread, so as with most other things, I went to Google and typed in Valentine's Day for widows.

As usual, I was rewarded with ideas and insight on how to make it a better day than I expect. Putting those ideas into action, though, is yet to come. We will see. Following are a few of the ones I feel are the best.

*Focus on the fact it is only one day.
*Avoid restaurants and watch a comedy.
*Focus on a new project.
*Focus on the fact it is only one day.
*Think of spring coming.
*We have eyes on only one side of our head so we cannot look backward and forward at the same time; look forward.
*Think about others and send someone else a Valentine (your children, grandchildren), just to say "I love you."
*Focus on the fact it is only one day.
*Visit the cemetery and leave a message of candy hearts.
*Attach a message for your missing spouse to a helium balloon and let it fly away.
*Plant a rose or camellia bush in honor of your loved one.
*Focus on the fact it is only one day.
*Do something for someone else. Volunteer. Take a bouquet to a nursing home.

As you can see, the one I am thinking about the most is the one day deal. I do like the idea of sending the Valentine cards, though, and shall look for a package of those little ones for kids to send to my grandchildren. They will get a kick out of that especially since they are not "kids" anymore *Smile*.

And of course, I will visit the cemetery...not sure about the candy hearts, yet...maybe a plastic heart and flowers.

My heart is with all the widows out there. I will think of you on Valentine's Day. Think good thoughts and be well.

until next time...c


© Copyright 2013 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/774438-Heart-Day