*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835623-One-of-those-niggling-books
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#835623 added December 7, 2014 at 2:17pm
Restrictions: None
One of those niggling books
Yesterday, I finished a book that I tried to stop reading several times. It seemed so silly, no plot I could figure out, just rambling on and on. Yet, I could not stop. I kept picking it up again and again, reading a little more, wondering when something was going to happen. Even when I finally finished it yesterday, there was no real conclusion, no real ending. Yet....I would have to say it was a good book, a really good book, one I will remember, and at my age, I don't remember a lot of what I read *Laugh*.

Would it surprise anyone if I say the title of the book was Ace In the Hole by Annie Proulx? In the beginning of the book I was attracted to the names of people just like in the Harry Potter books...Bob Dollar, Ace Crouch, Rope Butt, Freda Beautyrooms...you get the picture? Literally. Yes, Bob, our hero, was chasing the dollar and so on and so forth. The conflict, at least one of them, was big business (hog farms) versus saving the land for what it was intended, but there were a lot of other things going on. Dishonesty vs honesty, good vs evil, greed vs giving back, following your heart, the beauty and intelligence of uneducated people, and much more I am unable to put into words. Anyway, I am glad I read all the way through even though it didn't give me the ending I wanted. I think it gave me a whole lot more. Thanks, Annie.

until next time...c

© Copyright 2014 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835623-One-of-those-niggling-books