*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943166-Learning-in-Schaumburg
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#943166 added October 10, 2018 at 8:00pm
Restrictions: None
Learning in Schaumburg
Date: Week of October 1st


Locale:  Schaumburg, Illinois


         Ho hum, another week in Schaumburg.  Except I'm not delivering a class, I was cross training for a new one.  I didn't get near enough done if you ask me. but there were a couple of extenuating circumstances that kept me from maximizing this cross-training opportunity.


         First off, my mentor had quite the schedule last week.  We were going to work Tuesday and Wednesday on this course, but it's hard to get things done with someone on those hours.  I won't say more because I don't want to air this too much 'in public'.  But there was so much more we could have done.  Secondly though, is that there was a new release for a radio programming software.  The other guys who teach that class loaded it weeks ago.  I tried a few weeks ago too, but my anti-virus found a virus in the load process.  Since this is Motorola developed software, that's not too likely, but there it was.  I tried loading it last week after getting a new hard drive earlier, still the same thing.  We sent a message off to the team that writes the software, and it turns out this was a known issue.  Symantec recently updated their anti-virus software, adding a new scheme to look for viruses, along with their 'old' stuff.  Turns out, the new scheme would flag this software during the installation.  This was more of a sidetrack to the training effort than the lack of hours.  i ended up having to have the IT department uninstall the corporate anti-virus so I could install the program.  Once installed, every was fine, and it was.  This shouldn't have been an issue, but it was.  Our software team is working with Symantec to add an exception to the anti-virus search engine to this doesn't happen in the future.


         And to top it all off, I was (am) working from home this week, and could not log on to the Motorola network via the VPN!  More work with the IT department, a slew of e-mails between me and one of their techs, and most of a day doing that.  End result, I have a new 'VPN Thin Client' that will be sent out in the near future.  So, I have a head start on everyone else!  *Smile*  Needed to access the Motorola network so I could get my expense reports completed.  And now, I owe that IT Technician a cup of coffee, should we ever be in the same location at the same time.  She works out of Phoenix, so it may happen.  Not going to hold my breath though...*Smile*



In Closing

         It was a very interesting week in Schaumburg;  I'm left with needing yet more time on this course.  What I really need is time spent with the software, learning all its ins and outs.  That will require more time in Schaumburg.  That, or get the equipment here so I can work with it at home.  Next week I will be in Toronto once again.  Will be nice and chilly there, I'm looking forward to it.  Till then, write all you can, and love those who love you.




Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2018 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/943166-Learning-in-Schaumburg