*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132929-Tears-of-Apocalypse-Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1132929
The desert helps the two strangers to connect and see what they truely value.
Chapter 2 – Tears in the Desert


The moon was high in the sky when they departed. They left on two war horses, each some of the city’s most capable steeds. Dekon led, moving silently through the desert, keeping a watchful eye on the horizon. Lux followed behind, keeping single file to hide whether there were two of them or twenty. As they rode in the cool night air, both of their minds wandered.

“Faster Dekon!” He heard his father saying as he thought of his training years ago. Those were times he did miss. He followed his father every day out to the desert oasis where he was trained alone. He never knew why his father was so secret of his training, but as he grew older he understood. When he was twelve, he was allowed to train with the other soldiers. He saw that the training General Darkwind had put him through was much more rigorous than the others had been through. All of Dekon’s teachers thought him a prodigy, and thought that he was so able because he was the general’s son. At the age of fifteen, he had mastered the Barren army fighting style, beyond that of even his father. When the young Dekon started improvising his maneuvers, the general began summoning the best martial artistes in the world to train Dekon. Dekon learned styles faster than the desert sun parched a traveler. Soon Dekon was showing his trainers how to use their styles more efficiently. Each tested the boy and each fell at his hand in sparring matches. Dekon’s raw speed and agility, combined with his ability to interchange the styles made him deadly with any weapon, or even with everyday items.

Once when he was seventeen, he went to the market, to flirt with the young ladies who visited it. He made the mistake of going unarmed, and trying to woo a young lass who was being eyed by a local bully. The man, at age twenty five was twice Dekon’s size and did not take too kindly to the young soldier courting the apple of his eye. As Dekon left the market that day, the man jumped him, armed with a broad sword. Dekon tried to avoid the conflict as best he could, but the man would not yield. Forced to defend himself, and used to sparring with masters of combat, Dekon accidentally killed the man using simply a broom. When the castle guards came, the woman whom Dekon had been courting informed them of what happened, but the man’s cold lifeless expression from where Dekon had stopped his heart haunted him. He spent days, scarred to fight and scarred to even touch a person. His father consoled him for days, and tried to make Dekon realize that sometimes, it was necessary to end a life to preserve another, or even your own. Dekon told his father that he promised he would never end a life that did not deserve it. Dekon never knew how much that meant to the man who smiled at him at that moment, but Darkwind told him, that Dekon was a better man then he if he could find a way to do that in the world they lived in.

“So you were upset over killing those men?” Lux’s voice pierced Dekon’s flashback like and arrow. Shaking his nostalgia, Dekon turned with a grin to his companion.

“Do you plan to use this trip to question my motives?” Dekon said, with a sarcastic look on his face.

“Fair enough. I just wanted to say that in the world outside your castle, hesitation can be your death. You did not hesitate that night, and that is what kept us both alive. I know you don’t like killing, but in that case, like your father said, it was necessary.” Lux replied, knowing Dekon’s response was justified.

“I know Lux. But I have never met a man who I felt, deserved to die. I know that any hesitation can mean death for me, and I don’t hesitate. But every time I kill someone, I feel like I have done as much evil as they have.” Dekon said, a somber look in his eye.

“So you’re more serious about your skills than you let on.” Lux replied, chuckling lightly and smiling at the fact that he was fighting alongside a very honorable man.

“What about you Lux? You feel no regret for killing?” Dekon asked, wondering if the man he was traveling with cared for human life at all.

“I feel every life I end. But I also know that if it wasn’t their life, it would be mine.” Lux replied, his eyes growing somber as he rode. “I have things that I must do before my life is ready to end, so no matter what happens, I won’t allow anyone to end it. While they may not deserve death, neither do I, and if they wish to deal me what is undeserved, then I must return the favor, or I will never live to fulfill whatever fate has in store for me.”

“We share a sense of justice Lux, but we differ in our manners of dealing it. Maybe our partnership will help to balance both of our shortcomings in judgment.” Dekon said, smiling again. He now felt that he could trust this man.

“So how many fighting styles do you know?” Lux asked, changing the subject as they continued riding. The sun was rising and the heat was starting to increase as he asked.

“Officially? I think ten, but I have improvised a few of my own to show off. None of them are completely functional.” Dekon replied, chuckling a bit as he answered.

“Are you still studying them all at once?” Lux asked as he thought about the shear amount of fighting knowledge that was.

“No. I’ve already mastered them. That’s why I was amazed that we fought to a draw.” Dekon answered smugly.

“You’ve mastered over ten fighting styles at your age?!?!” Lux exclaimed. He was utterly amazed that such a young man had so much skill.

“Yeah. I don’t know why but I’m some sort of prodigy. Every master my father has brought to teach me, I bested in a few months. I don’t know how I do, I just learn very fast.” Dekon said, a bit of modesty in his voice. “What about you? I’ve never seen that kind of power in a man.”

“That’s because I’m not a man.” Lux replied, smiling that now he could brag a little bit.

“You’re a woman? Then pardon my saying that you are one ugly woman.” Dekon replied. They both laughed as they rode on in the hot sun. Their horses cast long shadows behind them as they rode on.

“No. I am not human. I am a Dragonian; a half man, half dragon race from the southern isles.” Lux replied as he slowly stopped laughing.

“I have heard of the Dragonians. I thought that they didn’t leave their isles though.” Dekon said, intrigued at this new information.

“I don’t believe they do. I am an orphan. Raised by barbarians south of Jinn. I lived with them until my tribe was slaughtered. I then traveled alone for a short time until a man I saved from bandits on the side of the road took me in under his training.” Lux continued as he rode.

“So he wasn’t in any danger at all I assume?” Dekon asked, pressing for more details about his companion.

“Not at all, but I jumped in before he could make his move. He was impressed with my noble act, and so he trained me in combat. He said with my heart being so pure, I would be a worthy pupil.” Lux commented, taking a drink from the water skin that hung at his side. “I trained with him for years, learning the great sword, pole arm, and even my magic from him.”

“But how are you so strong?” Dekon asked, searching for the key to his partner’s power.

“He trained me to channel emotion through my body. It’s a racial ability that he taught me how to harness. Raw anger can be used by a Dragonian to enhance his strength, or even out put energy, like my Big Sword technique.” Lux said with a smile, as he told the young prodigy about skills he did not know, and could never use.

The two rode on all day, making lighter banter, and sharing stories of fights or strange things they had seen in the world. Only once did Dekon approach the topic of Deirdre. Lux looked at him with sad eyes that seemed to say “Not now my friend, not now.” That was the last it was mentioned. They rode until nightfall, and then set up camp at an oasis where they could tie the horses and rest.

The fire was warm in contrast to the cool desert night. Away from the fire light, the horizon want on for what seemed like eternity, and millions of stars littered the sky. A cool breeze blew in from the west, from Barren Castle, and the moon was large and bright in the center of the sky. Dekon poked at the fire, while Lux skewered some meat they had brought on to a spit for roasting. Dekon took some wine from his saddle bag and passed it to Lux. The two sat and ate in silence, each of them thinking about their own thoughts. Dekon wondered still why his father finally trusted him alone after all this time. Lux thought of Deirdre. His closed his eyes as he took a sip of wine. He could almost see her piercing green eyes and golden flowing hair. He thought about how she would sing at night while they rested, and he would play the flute. He reached into his side pouch and produced the wooden instrument he had carried for years now. He began playing a haunting, yet loving tune on it. The flames seemed to dance with the notes as he played, his eyes still closed as he heard her voice singing in his heart. Dekon sat silently and didn’t disturb Lux as he played. When the tune was over, Lux put the flute away and sat for a moment, looking at the fire.

“I met her three years ago.” He said after a long silence. Dekon looked up, shocked that he had revealed even that bit of information. He didn’t disturb Lux as he talked, he sat and listened, the details of the tail flowed together as he learned of the woman whom this warrior searched so fiercely for. Lux thought about each detail of his memories, and soon they blended into a flash back that he guided Dekon though.

------




The young Lux walked along a mountain trail, his hair pulled back into a tight braid, and his weapons strapped to his back. He wore no cloak, and carried his trident in hand as always. He saw a man ahead on the trail, leaning on a tree near the cliff edge. As he approached, the man moved to the middle of the road. An uneasy feeling came over Lux as he saw this. He kept walking, paying the man no head, until the man would not let him pass.

“Hey there boy, where do you think you’re headed?” The man said. His unclean appearance showed that he was not very civilized. A scar came across his right cheek, and this was the only place his scruffy brown stubble did not grow. He glared at Lux, waiting for an answer, looking him straight in the eye.

“Not that it’s any of your business, but any where my feet take me.” Lux replied, feeling the tension as the man eyed him. A sound came from behind Lux and he turned to see seven other men emerge from hiding. “Damn, a trap!” Lux thought to himself as he readied for a good fight. He was skilled, but there were a lot of them.

“Not that you need to know, but we’re the Trail Dogs; a local and yet infamous bandit group that runs these roads. Now, we’re going to give you a choice today, because I am in a particularly good mood. If you hand over that armor and those very nice weapons right now, we may let you live. Otherwise, I’m going to be very angry that I have to clean your blood off them before I can sell them, or maybe keep them for myself.” The man said again. It was obvious to Lux now that this man was the leader, and a very bold one at that, standing in open sight as his men hid. An instant later two of the men grabbed Lux’s arms, and made him drop his trident to the ground with a clang. The leader smiled as he circled the young warrior, and his men held him in place.

“Hmmm, six against one, I like my odds.” Lux said as he smiled confidently.

“Boss, this kid’s as dumb as a dog. He can’t even count that there’s eight of us.” One of the men holding Lux’s arms said laughing. In that instant, Lux sprung. He crashed his arms together, and the two heads of the men that held him crushed together with a satisfying crack of their skulls and the soft squish of their brain tissue. The other men drew their swords and rushed Lux. He swung his sword free of his back and as it came around only two of the men ducked. The other three ran full on into his blade. Blood sprayed as they fell to the ground and bled out. The other two dropped back for a moment. Lux’s swing continued and he slid the sword back onto his back. He reached down to pick up the trident, and readied for the attack. The entire time the leader stood back watching. Lux eyed the man, waiting for them to attack. Waiting for the moment to end their worthless lives.

The men both dove at Lux together, swords gleaming in the afternoon sun. Lux stood unmoving, and at the last second brought the blunt end of his trident into the man on the left’s stomach. He kicked the right man in the face, sending him reeling back with blood pouring rapidly from his now broken nose. Lux then grabbed the throat of the left man, and tossed him at his beaten partner. The man collided with the second and they both stumbled backwards. Lux plunged his trident into the ground and dashed at them, He ripped the great sword form his back and swung it full force across his body. Both men screamed only an instant, and then fell apart and to the ground. Cut in two mid way through their lungs. Lux took a few steps backward, and strapped his sword once again to his back with one hand, while dislodging his trident with the other.

“Some infamous bandits. You wouldn’t even handle an eighteen year old boy.” Lux chuckled, looking at the leader victoriously.

“Quite cocky for a man with one opponent left. You may find you have more trouble dispatching me boy.” The man said, drawing a rapier from his belt. Before it was fully unsheathed, he was on top of Lux, stabbing and slashing rapidly. Lux did his best to fend off the attacks with his trident. He was barely able to keep up with the man’s attacks, and he knew if he didn’t end this soon, he would lose his energy and be done for. The man leapt back to prepare a lunge attack and Lux had his opening. As the bandit dove at him, Lux raised his hand towards the man and mumbled a slight incantation.

The fire exploded less than a foot from Lux. The man’s torso exploded open, and Lux smiled. Then the pain hit. Liquid fire from his own spell splashed into his eyes. He gripped his trident as he stumbled backwards. He howled in pain and lost his balance. He felt gravity take hold as he backed over the cliff edge. Blinded from his burns, Lux felt each dark impact as he tumbled down the face of the cliff. He was unconscious from the pain before he impacted at the bottom, into a small herb garden.


When he finally opened his eyes, his entire body ached. The pain in his arms and legs was too much for him to move them. He just groaned as his blurry vision came to him. He could feel a jelly like substance on his eyes that seemed to numb them and cool the burns.

“Ohh don’t move!” He heard a soft voice from somewhere in the dimly lit room. Soon a figure was over him. He squinted as his vision cleared more and he could make out the site above him. A young woman crouched over him as he lay on the cot. He was dumbfounded by her appearance. Long flowing blonde hair poured from her head and over her shoulders, and he could feel places where it rested on him as she lean over his injured body. Her facial features were young and slightly pail, but she was very fair skinned, and the smooth curves of her face seemed as though they were poured from a crystalline mold. Here eyes were soft, and reflected a little bit of light from their emerald green surfaces. She looked at him softly, and as she spoke, her full lips articulated every word perfectly.

“You were burned pretty badly when you came crashing into my garden.” She giggled as she wiped his eyes of the jelly. “Your arms and legs are fine, just very bruised and swollen, but your eyes took some special care to heal. You should be fine in a few more days, if you rest. I couldn’t lift your sword so I removed your armor and gathered your things together under a tarp to keep them from rusting.” She continued as she wiped the warm wet cloth over his brow. He laughed inside at how fast she rambled, and as she cleared his vision, he saw that she was even more beautiful. “What’s your name?” she asked, getting up and walking across the room.

“Lux. Lux Umbra.” He replied weakly as he drifted in and out of sleep.

“Well Lux Umbra, rest now, you will need it.” She said. He wanted to ask her name or why she helped him, but he heard something that slowly put him to sleep. She sang a melody that seemed to call the spirits with it. It soothed his wounds to hear such a sweet sound, and soon he drifted to sleep to the melody. A melody he would never forget.

When he finally awoke he was in a state of shock, He sat up in the strange bed, wondering what had happened. Then his memories came flooding back. He remembered the bandits, and the fall, and the woman. He then remembered his dreams. He dreamt of her the entire time he had slept. He rose from the bed to look for her. His eyes quickly scanned the cottage, but she was not there. He noticed his side pouch on her table with a note.


Lux,
I have filled your satchel with some fresh fruit and some ointment to heal wounds faster if you need it. I also left you a wooden flute. I noticed that you had nothing but tools of combat with you. Maybe learning this instrument will help you sleep lest restlessly. I wish you well in your journeys. Your weapons and armor are outside by the garden, under the tarp as I promised. Again good luck.

Deirdre Kalphia

He placed the note in his pouch and strapped it on. He went outside, and gathered his things. He searched the garden for her but to no avail. He could tell by the tone of her note that he could expect to never see the beauty again. He walked down the sunny path at the foot of the mountain as he thought of her.

“Deirdre . . .” He mumbled as he took the flute out of his pouch. He fumbled with the notes as he blew, but he walked on and played. He knew no songs, but knew one melody, which haunted his heart. As he walked, he slowly learned more of the notes, and it seemed the birds sang with him.

He walked for nearly three days before he came to a town. By now he had mastered the melody and felt that playing it from time to time as he walked helped him keep his mind off of missing her. As he walked into town, he saw no one bustling around the market like normally a berg like this would have on a day like this. He headed for the town square where he found a large gathering. He moved closer to se what the commotion was about.

The entire town was gathered around on place. When he moved closer, his heart skipped a beat. There, in the center of the circle, tied to a large cross of wood was Deirdre. He could not mistake her face. He listened to the old man that stood at the base of this cross and yelled and more men piled bundles of tinder at the base.

“This woman can NOT be allowed to live!” He screamed as people cheered him. “She has the power to destroy our village in her hands! We must burn her as the witch she is!” Lux felt rage welling up inside of him. He grabbed a man next to him and asked why she was being accused of which craft.
“She healed a plague on our village that the best priests and healers could not. Our village elder figured out that she had caused the plague and was going to use her power to extort us and make us her slaves! We’re burning her now before she has that chance!” The man answered and went back to watching. Lux thought about how well she had healed him for no reason. She did not do what they accused her of; she was a talented healer who loved to save lives. These ignorant people were about to end an innocent life. He lost control as he saw men with torches lighting the tinder at the base. He could not hold back his anger. He charged through the crowd and cut the cross down.

“LUX!” She screamed as he caught her falling body. “What are you doing here?”

“Repaying a debt.” He replied calmly to her as he set her down and cut her bonds. He drew his sword and in one and he held his trident and in the other, his mighty sword.

“Listen to me you ignorant wretches! If you label this woman a witch, then I am her Devil! Come a step towards her, and I will slaughter your village as an example to those who do not fear me!” As he said this the people screamed. Women ran from the center of the village. Lux wrapped his arm around Deirdre and leapt out of the crowd. They both ran, and soon they dashed though the woods, full speed for hours. When they both felt they could run no longer, they stopped.

“Thank you.” She said as she caught her breath. She smiled as she embraced him, holding him tight. Lux dropped his weapons and held her close.

“A life for a life. But now I fear I have made you a fugitive in your home land.” Lux replied embracing his beauty. “I will travel with you, and keep you safe until I can find you a new home”

“I would like that very much.” She replied.


“We traveled together everyday after that, until the desert.” Lux concluded. When his voice stopped, Dekon snapped back to the present.

“So you do have a surname. But why hide it?” Dekon asked, still trying to grasp what he had been told.

“My name, Lux Umbra, means Light Shadow. I am not perfect, and the good in my heart also hides a deep darkness. Like I said, I regret every man I kill, and always try to kill for the right reasons. But when I find the doomed man who took her, the darkness that he will receive will not show even a flicker of light.” Lux replied, with a cold tone of death.

“So what happened in the desert? Dekon asked, wanting to hear more.

“That’s enough for tonight. I am exhausted.” Lux said as he rose from the fire. Dekon did not argue when he saw the tears streaming form Lux’s eyes as he headed for his bed roll. The fire seemed to crackle and fizzle somberly as if to offer its sympathy to the man whose heart cried that night.

------

The next morning was silent. Dekon awoke before his somber companion. He wearily rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and took out some dried fruit for breakfast. He let Lux sleep while he readied the horses for the day’s travel. They would be at the Roshi camp before dusk. The desert would be behind them by noon and then it was a few hours across the dry plains. He wouldn’t speak till Lux did. He was going to be courteous to the man’s pain. Lux rose and was silent. He took a little dried fruit and nodded a thank you to Dekon. He mounted his horse and the men were off. Slowly, they rode in the morning sun.

Soon after departing, Lux removed his flute from his pouch. Dekon was startled by the sweet music echoing over the plains. He turned to see Lux playing as he rode, smiling as Dekon realized his friend was okay. Dekon turned back to the desert ahead of him and lost himself in the melody. His mind drifted as he rode, and he thought of his friend in the Roshi village. Gage was one of his oldest friends. Dekon had known him for ages. He though about how they first became friends.

“Hey you wanna sneak into the bath house and check out the women?” Dekon’s thirteen year old voice spoke, cracking as he did. The strange boy sitting on the castle steps smiled and turned to the red headed stranger.

“Are you insane?” The boy said. His short spiked hair blew a bit in the breeze. He wore clothes different from those of the rest of the town, and had spent most of the day sitting on the steps alone and ignored.

“You’re the son of that Roshi chieftain my father is fighting along side right?” Dekon asked as he laughed a bit and sat down next to the boy.

“Yeah, I’m Gage Black, son of Dagan Black.” The boy replied, offering his hand, mimicking how he had seen his father offer it for a hand shake earlier that day.

“Dekon Darkwind, son of General Leo Darkwind.” Dekon said, taking the boy’s hand in a firm handshake. “So how about it? We gonna sneak in to the bath house or what?”

“Well, what’s your plan?” Gage asked, standing up and brushing the dust off of him.

“Easy,” Dekon replied with a smile. “First follow me, we need to get out of sight.” With that Dekon was off. Gage hurried after him, and kept up well enough, though it was obvious that Dekon was faster. The two entered an alley across the street from the women’s bath houses. Dekon looked behind a barrel and pulled out a burlap bag. He dumped the bag out on the ground in front of Gage and picked up two crude and small brassieres.

“Where did you get those?” Gage asked wide eyed that the boy had these two female unmentionables.

“I’m friends with the daughter of one of the castle maids. I traded her for some lessons in sword play, and the promise I would never watch her bathe.” Dekon said with a wide proud smile. “Now put it on, and put these in it.” He continued, handing Gage two small heavy leather sacks.

“What are these?” Gage said, eyeing the two pouches.

“They’re paper weights from the map room. In case you were wondering, this isn’t my first time.” Dekon said, stuffing his clothes in the bag. He was now wearing nothing but the stuffed brassiere and his under-tunic. Gage shortly followed, but still looked apprehensive.

“I know you have this all worked out, but pardon my asking how they won’t figure us out.” Gage asked, feeling quite silly in the get up.

“Simple, we wrap a towel around our torsos, and around our heads to hide our hair. Then we simply sit by the steam vents and watch the show. So many of the more prissy women sit in the steam vents to relax, that no one will think anything of it.” Dekon said, wrapping the towels around himself. Gage hesitantly followed, and soon the two were ready. Dekon put Gage’s clothes in the bag, and then they headed across the street.

The plan went perfectly. They sat all day in adolescent paradise. Finally, a few hours later, Gage stood up to go get some water. As he stood up, his towel around his waist came loose. Both of the boys watched in slow motion terror as it fell to the ground. The women gasped and ran to cover themselves. The boys just ran. Dashing out of the building, they both lost their towels and shed the brassieres to run faster. Gage headed to their clothes but Dekon called after him.

“No! They’ll catch you! It’s a dead end! Follow me! You can keep up so let’s hurry!” He yelled, and in an instant the boys were dashing through the city. The castle guards were chasing them and soon the commotion was too hard to miss.

“Where are we running?!” Gage called ahead to Dekon as they darted through the market.

“To the orchards on the outskirts of town, it’s the only place we can hide now. Too many people know to look for us!” Dekon called back, never turning his head. They sprinted full speed into the orchards and ran past some workers picking fruits. They hid in a pile of baskets and peeked through the holes to see the guards questioning the workers, and pointing to where the boys hid in fear.

“Ohh no! They’re going to search the baskets and find us!” Dekon whispered, with dread in his voice. ”Our fathers are going to be so mad.”

“Maybe not.” Gage replied in a low tone with a smile on his face. He pulled a feather from behind his ear and pressed it to his lips. Dekon watched at the boy glowed faintly and whispered something. Dekon then jerked his head upward as another pile of crates about a hundred yards away toppled over and a fast moving figure moved through the orchards. The guards ran over to investigate, and soon chased the figure through the orchards. Gage nodded, and the two boys ran out of the orchards and took the back alleys back to their clothes. As they were getting dressed, Dekon spoke up.

“What did you do back there? What was that thing?” Dekon asked, as he pulled his tunic over his head.

“A roc.” Gage said, nonchalantly as he tied the belt of his gi.

“A rock? What are you? Some sort of earth mage?” Dekon asked.

“Not a rock, a roc. R-O-C. It’s a like a giant eagle. Only mine is about the size of a dog.” Gage said, laughing a bit. “We Roshi’s are summoners. We can call all sorts of things to aid us. Mine’s still only a baby, but he will grow as I do. He did pretty good don’t you think?”

“Amazing. Looks like you managed to get us out of the trouble you got us in.” Dekon said smirking.

“I got us in? Let’s not forget YOU wanted to go in there in the first place. If I had just said no, I could have avoided that exhilarating run across the city.” Gage rebutted in a loud voice.

“Yeah I know. But, you have to admit, it was SO worth it!” Dekon said with a smile.

“Yeah it was!” Gage laughed out as they walked back to the street.

“Well I’m starved, let’s go get some food. They should be serving in the mess hall. Its not as good as the banquet will be tonight when our fathers return, but you don’t have to deal with all those manners.” Dekon said leading Gage to the mess hall.

“Sounds good” Gage replied, as the two walked on through the crowds.


Dekon chuckled at the memory as he rode on in the hot sun. He could see the grass lands on the horizon.

“Is my playing amusing?” Lux asked, stopping playing for the first time in hours.

“No, I was just remembering some good times.” Dekon replied with a smile. “Come on, lets run the horses a bit. There’s a water hole just past the border of those grasslands, and we can stop for lunch there. Think you can keep up?” Dekon asked, spurring his horse lightly.

“No, the question is if you like the taste of my dust” Lux asked, giving his horse a light spur as well. The two galloped off, kicking up sand as they rode, and for that brief moment, they were both young again.

------



It was nearly night fall when they rode into the Roshi camp. The sun laid low on the horizon to their back, and cast a deep red-orange glow on the night. Ahead of them they saw nothing but violet over the horizon, and the camp fires of the tribe’s village. They both rode, with their cloaks wrapped tight around them, and Lux now rode next to Dekon. A few people looked at them as they passes, but many recognized them as being from Barren, and did not bother them. Dekon rode straight to the chieftain’s tent and tied his horse to the post outside. Lux dismounted and did the same. The opened their cloaks and lowered their hoods as they entered unannounced.

The dimly lit tent was near empty of all accept two men. The older of the two sat cross legged on a deer pelt and glared as the two men entered uninvited. The younger kept his face wrapped in a turban and face mask, and stood unmoving, eyeing Lux up and down distrustfully. On one side of the tent was an empty alter, with two candles, both of which were extinguished. Save these few things, the tent was empty, as if it were used for only important business. The cold looks of the two men melted as they recognized Dekon.

“Master Dekon!” The older man said, standing. His flowing golden robes hung to his ankles. Ornate patterns were sewn into the fabric with silver thread, and atop his head was an ornate turban, topped with a very ornate feather which Lux had never seen before. “It is quite a surprise to see you. We had not received a response from Barren to our request and wondered if you had turned your back to us. Come sit, and please, who is your assistant?” The old man continued, extending his hand in a gesture as if offering a seat.

“Thank you for your hospitality Snyder.” Dekon said sitting. “Odd, I thought my father said they had sent several responses asking to speak with Master Dagan.” Dekon thought to himself as he sat. Lux glared at the old man with a stare that seemed to pierce the room, and straight through to the outside of the tent.

“My father asked you to sit.” The other man said in a stern and threatening tone, eyeing Lux as he did. Lux noticed the man’s hand on the scimitar he had strapped to his hip, and shifted his weight for a fight.

“Enough Tride.” Snyder said, glaring at his son with fiery purple eyes. Lux sat and paid no head to the younger man. “Forgive my son Master Dekon, he is a little protective since the incident.” Snyder said, turning back to Dekon.

“First, this man is not my assistant, he is my partner. Please treat him with the same respect you give to my father and myself. Second, what incident, and where is master Dagan?” Dekon asked, firmly. Lux thought to himself that he sounded very much like his father as he spoke to the Roshi.

“You have not heard? Master Dagan was assassinated in cold blood, in front of many witnesses. His body lies in our holy shrine until the first new moon, when we can summon the Night Pheonix to carry his body to the afterlife.” Snyder replied, looking truly saddened to have to repeat this news.

“What! Assassinated?! By who?” Dekon yelled, standing in his anger. The candles in the room flickered as he moved, and his shadow cast over both Snyder and Tride.

“Please sit Master Dekon. Losing your temper will find his killer no faster. He was slain by none other than his own son. The boy summoned a dark beast in the village center and had the beast tear out his father’s heart. He then ran to this tent and stole the ancient medallion of the Roshi High Summoner. We have not seen him since.” Snyder replied, looking somber as he recalled the tale.

“Impossible! The witnesses must be mistaken! Gage would never do such a thing!” Dekon said, sitting down, but looking as if he was ready to scream.

“Are you saying I am mistaken?” Tride snapped, in a defensive tone that made Lux uneasy. Dekon and Tride locked eyes for a moment, each staring with burning anger at the other.

“I’m saying Gage would never do such a thing.” Dekon said, in a low voice, as if to tell Tride to back down.

“Tride, know your place!” Snyder snapped. “My apologies for my son’s disrespect. In the moment of despair, the people of our tribe named me High Summoner, and called for the blood of Gage. That is when we asked for you’re help.”

“Why don’t your people use their summons to hunt the assassin?” Lux interjected, questioning the logic of the older man.

“The medallion that he stole allows him to stop any summons that attack him. Our powers are useless. And, because he trained as a High Summoner all of his life, he is quite able with his summons. He also hides in the wilderness east of here, where he trained all his life. We cannot track him there; he knows the area too well. That is why we hired Barren. Your army is composed of the best warriors in the land, and if they sent you Master Dekon, and if this man . . .” Snyder replied, looking to Lux for his name.

“Lux.” Lux answered.

“If this man Lux is your equal, then the job will be easily completed.” Snyder said, bowing slightly to the two.

“We will start hunting him in the morning. We are tired. I hope you have made arrangements for us.” Dekon replied.

“Of course we have. You may stay in my tent. I will share my son’s for the night.” Snyder replied. “It is the last tent on the east side of our village.”

“Thank you” Dekon replied as he stood. Lux stood as well and bowed. The two exited quickly. As they did, Tride looked to his father. Snyder said nothing, but nodded to his son. Tride nodded in agreement and exited the tent as well.

Outside, Dekon marched swiftly to the tent Snyder had told him about. He went inside silently and started rummaging through the clothes of the chieftain, throwing robes onto the bed.

“You are going to hunt your friend?” Lux asked, standing in the door.

“Lux, in the short time you have known me, what do you think I will do?” Dekon turned to him, tears rolling down his face.

“If you are the man I think you are you will not kill your friend for accusations you cannot prove to be true.” Lux said, shocked to see the man cry.

“Very good. Listen, Dagan was like an uncle to me. Gage is my best friend, and as close to a brother as I have known. I refuse to believe he killed his father and stole that medallion, especially because it was his by birthright anyway. Something does not add up. Now help me make body dummies to fill these beds. We won’t get till the morning if we sleep.” Dekon said, going back to what he was doing.

“So what do you plan to do?” Lux asked, readying the dummy for his bed.

“Exactly what I told Snyder I would do. I’m going to find Gage.” Dekon said, finishing his dummy. The two pulled their cloaks over their heads and silently exited the tent. The quickly went and hid in a shadow and watched. About an hour after, Tride silently crept into the tent, his sword drawn, to assassinate the robes of his father. Dekon and Lux turned and walked to the wilderness to the east of the village.

“I have to know the truth.” Dekon whispered as they vanished into the night.
© Copyright 2006 EyesOfDarkShine (luxumbra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132929-Tears-of-Apocalypse-Chapter-2