*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1135371-Tears-of-Apocalypse-Chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Other · #1135371
The introduction of Gage leads to strange unanswered questions.
Chapter 3 - Gage



He watched the two men walk through the woods; his woods. The night hid him, and the two were fleeing the village too fast to pay attention to the stalker. He darted between trees, circling them many times, observing. He clutched his dual saber tightly as he climbed a tree to follow them from above. He brushed one of his locks of hair out of his eyes and leapt from branch to branch. They were no doubt the assassins hired to hunt him. He would get the drop on them farther in the forest, where no one would find the bodies. He got ahead of them by a good fifty yards, and crouched in his perch. He eyed them as they came to a widened part of the trail. He carefully eyed the surroundings and planned how he would attack. Then the smaller of the men stopped. He held his hand up and signaled his larger companion to halt. The shorter man looked around searching for who was watching them. The hunter, poised in the tree had to strike now, before he lost the element of surprise. With that thought, he leapt.

The shorter man was not surprised, and in a single motion, he threw his cloak to the side and drew his katana. The attacker struck fiercely, swinging his dual saber in fluid harmony, glaring at his target through the mask he wore. The larger man stood and watched, as if expecting his companion to make short work of this foe. The smaller man began to defend and attack in an aerial display of agility. He leapt off of tree trunks, attacking the hunter as he dodged nearly every blow. The attacks that he could not dodge were easily parried by his katana. Yet, his attacks also did not find flesh. The attacker was nearly as fast as he was, and quite skilled. The two struck and defended almost too fast for the large man to follow. The dual saber wielding attacker then rolled back and poised for an attack. As the soldier ran at him, he threw his double saber. It whirled through the air spinning towards the neck of the soldier. The man jumped in a low somersault over the blade as it whirled by and continued running. He began to swing his blade at the attacker, the man’s hands glowed in a gold light. He leaned back as the fist of a rock giant struck the soldier square in the chest. The solider flew into the trunk of a tree, and the hunter bolted toward him. As he ran at his prone foe, he reached up and grabbed his double saber from mid air as it returned to him. He flipped forward and stopped the point of his saber at the throat of his prey, only to find a katana tip slightly pressed to his Adam’s apple.

“Well Dekon, it seems you’re out of practice.” The attacker said, pulling back and strapping his blade to his back.

“Well,” Dekon said standing and smiling, “In any honorable duel, a man wouldn’t summon his lackeys to help him, but you couldn’t beat me like that Gage.”

“Well, I’m glad you know him. Otherwise I was going to ask why you held back.” Lux inserted, walking over to where the two stood.

“Gage, this is Lux.” Dekon said, making a point not to reveal Lux’s secret of his name.

“You travel alone with this man?” Gage said, eyeing Lux. “You’re pretty brave. I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten you both arrested by now.” Gage chuckled. “Both of you come on. I have a little shelter where we can talk.” He then turned and walked down the trail.

“Come on!” Dekon said, heading down the trail after Gage. Lux followed as he pulled his hood back up.

“He matched Dekon blow for blow. Another equal match for me as well I’ll assume. But I wonder if the three of us could defeat that thing from the desert.” Lux thought as he walked.

They walked for a short while before they turned off of the trail, and about thirty yards off the trail was a small shelter dug out and covered with brush. It blended so well in the forest that even during the day, one would have to know it was there to find it. They went inside where a small hooded lantern gave the shelter enough light to see each other.

Gage sat on a small folded blanket and offered his companions similar places to sit. Both Lux and Dekon sat and took their cloaks off in the dimly lit shelter. Gage removed his mask, which could be seen to be a beast, painted onto the carapace of some unknown creature. Horns and fangs jutted from the sides of the mask where they were attached. He set his mask down and let his hair fall all over his head. It fell in thick locks, almost like dreadlocks. Gage brushed it out of his golden colored eyes, and eyes both of his two guests. A sad look came over his face.

“I’m assuming that you’ve heard about my father.” Gage said quietly.

“Yes.” Dekon replied, the same sad look in his eyes. “But I don’t believe that you killed him. Especially not for the High Summoner’s amulet. That was yours by birthright already.”

“You are the only one who believes me. Snyder and Tride convinced every one of my brethren that I murdered my father in cold blood.” Gage said, looking down to the ground.

“But how?” Dekon said, with an angry tone in his voice.

“It was the most unbelievable thing I’ve ever seen.” Gage answered, looking up at his old friend. “I watched myself do it, so to speak.”

“But you said you didn’t do it.” Lux interjected, not quite following what happened.

“I know. But I watched from a distance, as someone who looked and sounded exactly like me summoned a creature I’ve never seen and murdered my father in cold blood.” Gage answered. “I couldn’t get there to stop it in time, so as soon as I watched my father pass, I ran to the High Summoner’s tent to get the amulet before I could be arrested and someone else take it. I ran from the village and hid out here. That was almost two months ago.”

“They sent word for us to hunt you almost two months ago.” Dekon said, stiffening as he sat there.

“They knew they couldn’t hunt me. With this amulet I can dispel any summons that they could call.” Gage said, removing a small golden amulet from his gi. It was about three inches wide, and perfectly circular. On its polished surface was the symbol for the Roshi High Summoner; a circle, missing a small circular part at the bottom. Within that missing section rested a smaller circle. The metal of the amulet was polished to a high sheen. The other two men eyed the amulet. Lux’s eyes grew wide as he saw it, as if he had seen a ghost. Dekon did not see this, but Gage was able to notice Lux’s change in expression.

“What is the matter Sir Lux?” Gage asked seeing the look he gave.

“Nothing, it’s just that I have seen an amulet like that before.” Lux replied, still shaken from seeing it.

“How is that possible?” Gage asked, in an almost sarcastic chuckle.” This amulet is one of a kind. It has been passed down my family line for generations.”

“Because I possess the other.” Lux replied, removing a necklace from beneath his tunic. On the thin cord was a very similar amulet. Its golden surface shone in the dim light, and it was nearly identical to the one Gage possessed, save for one detail.

“The symbol is different.” Dekon said, taking both amulets in his hands. He was right. The symbol on Lux’s amulet was of what seemed to be two deformed crescents touching seamlessly to for an “S” shaped curve. In each of the cusps of this “S” were two circles, spaced out as if they were retina in the eyes of the symbol. “But that feels to be the only difference. They feel to be the same weight, and material. Even the cords you have them on is the same.

“Where did you get this?” Gage asked, with a sound of shear confusion in his voice.

“I’ve had it all my life.” Lux replied. “When I was an orphan in the Barbarian villages in the south, I was told that the man who delivered me to them gave this to them as well, saying that I had it with me when he found me. That is all I know.”

“This is really odd.” Dekon said, leaning back a bit. “It seems that you two have some connection, with these amulets. Maybe it’s another side to your magic Gage.”

“It can’t be. I’ve never seen this symbol before in any of our lore. It looks familiar, but I really have no idea where I’ve seen it.” Gage replied, leaning back and relaxing a bit.

“Well, it’s not a mystery we’re going to solve tonight.” Lux said, putting his amulet away. Gage did the same, and they all sat silently for a while.

“So what are we going to do about this Snyder problem?” Dekon asked breaking the silence at last.

------



“I don’t care what your traditions are!” Dekon shouted, standing fast. “We have to put Snyder in his place. I have orders directly from Barren Castle to find out the truth of you, and your father’s locations, and to handle whatever problem has arisen.”

“We can’t do that Dekon!” Gage replied, standing up in the heated discussion. “Even IF we could go back and stop Snyder, we have no proof that I’m innocent and no way of defeating all of the Roshis. My only hope is to seek refuge in Barren until I can train more. Then I can challenge Snyder by our traditions for the title of High Summoner.”

“Why not challenge him now?” Dekon rebutted. “ He can’t use any summons against you while you have that. It’d be an embarrassment. He’d be beaten before he could blink.”

“It doesn’t work that way. In a challenge for the title of High Summoner, neither side may bear any weapons or artifacts to aid them. I would have to fight him using just my summons against his, and he has been taught many more in his time. In a fair duel, he would obliterate me right now.” Gage replied, sitting down and looking to the ground. “You must grant me asylum in your city, so that I may train undisturbed. I can challenge him soon enough if I can.”

“Lux, what do you think? You’ve been quiet for this entire discussion.” Dekon asked, looking to his new friend for support. “As a soldier, I was ordered to find the thief, and that has been accomplished. As your friend, I agree that we must aid him, however, I do agree with Gage. I’m sorry Dekon, but he must choose his path to avenging his father.” Lux replied.

“Besides, I am a criminal to the Roshi people now. If you aid me, then you will be viewed as co-conspirators. That could start a war between Barren and my people that would result in far too many deaths for no reason.” Gage said to his friend, pleading to him to settle down.

“I guess you’re right. But, how I’d love to beat some respect into Tride for trying to kill us. Guess I can’t have fun every day.” Dekon said, chuckling a bit at the end as he sat.

“Who said we can’t have fun?’ Gage asked, producing a large bottle from his possessions.

“Ohh no. You remember what happened last time I drank that Roshi Grog.” Dekon laughed.

“Yeah I do, but this time there aren’t any manure piles you can drag us into.” Gage laughed as he took three wooden mugs from his things.

“What are you two talking about?” Lux asked, curious as to the joke of this story.

“Remember how I warned you that he would get you arrested?” Gage asked, pouring Lux a bit of the liquid. Lux sipped a bit, and cringed at the taste. He felt a warm feeling inside as he sipped some more.

“Well, there’s an interesting story behind that,” Gage continued, pouring himself and Dekon each a glass of the brew “that Dekon here would love to tell.”

“Fine, I’ll tell him. It was about three years ago.” Dekon said, sipping the grog as he began to tell his tale. “We had just returned form a mission with my father. We had hunted down a kidnapper, and since he had fled into Roshi territory, Gage helped us track him down. After we returned, my father went to check on how things had been while we were gone, and Gage and I headed to a festival his people were holding. That’s where the fun began.

------



“Come on, we gotta get to the buffet before all of the food’s gone.” Dekon said to Gage who was walking casually through the Roshi village.

“You haven’t been to one of these in a while huh?” Gage replied laughing. “You forget how much food we prepare for these things. Just be careful if you have some of the grog.”

“I have drank before Gage. If I remember correctly, I had to carry you back to your room the last time we went drinking in Barren.” Dekon teased.

“It’s not like other alcohols. We blend certain herbs into it as we brew it. It has a very enhanced effect from other drinks.” Gage warned.

“I think you’re just scared I’ll embarrass you in front of your people, oh great Chosen One.” Dekon rebutted as they strolled up to the festival.

“This is going to be a long night.” Gage thought to himself as he began to grab some food from the buffet. There were many people from other areas of the world there. This festival was help yearly to honor the allies to the Roshis and promote good relations amongst all of the kingdoms. The festival ran for a full week every year, and they had returned just in time for the last night. The two ate for a long time, enjoying many of the different foods that were lining the mats around the festival. After a few weeks of military rations, the food was exquisite, even beyond its normal quality. Roast pheasant, dressed with a hollandaise sauce made from goose eggs, desert buffalo’s ribs, with a thick hickory sauce from the forests of the south, and a Roshi specialty, cocoa cake, baked with the same herbs that are used in their grog.

The two began to feel the effects of the cake, and were drinking the grog like it was water. The feelings of euphoria set over them and soon they were singing with everyone and making merry like that hadn’t in ages. The kept eating and drinking long after many of the village had gone to sleep. They were very inebriated and stumbling through town when some of the guards started to complain to them, but they only sang louder. The guards grew angrier, and started to chase the youths. Dekon ran, stumbling and tripping over his own feet as he did, and dove into a pile of what he thought to be sand. Gage followed, but did not dive into the pile. He turned to the guards and stopped. A straight look came over his face and he tried to talk his way out of it.

“Gentlemen, I am sorry being so loud. We were at the festival and have had more than too much to drink.” Gage slurred as the guards recognized him. “Please, I am trying to take my friend back to his tent, and besides, his diving into that manure pile should be enough.”

“I suppose that can be enough Master Gage.” The head guard replied as he and his men turned away.

“Are they gone?” Dekon asked, poking his head out from the heap of fertilizer.

“Yes, now let’s head to bed.” Gage said, covering his nose from the smell.

“Wait! Who are those guys over there?” Dekon asked, still very inebriated form the grog.

“Those were the guards, they’re leaving now.” Gage replied, still slurring his words.

“QUICK! They’re going to catch us! We have to swim away!” Dekon shouted, as he dove into the pile again and began attempting to swim.

“You do that.” Gage said, holding his nose and going to bed.

“Wait! So he left you there?” Lux finally interrupted, feeling the grog as he sat and listened.

“Yeah,” Dekon replied laughing. “They found me the next day passed out in the pile.”

“Wow, and I thought you were too noble to get into that kind of mess.” Lux replied.

“Well then Lux,” Dekon said, sipping his grog. “You have a lot to learn.”


------


The three sat in the tent for a long time swapping stories and drinking the Roshi Grog. Lux wondered why the Gage was so relaxed in his current situation, but as he thought about it, he realized it. Gage had been out here for months, alone, and running from those who he thought to be family. Now, his best friend was here, and they were relaxing as always. Lux was welcome because he was friendly to the man, and now the three of them, at least for tonight were best friends. It had been a while since Lux was close to anyone other than Deirdre. Maybe talking with them would clear his mind. In his stupor from the grog Lux began talking.

“We were actually heading to Barren.” Lux said, interrupting the other two laughing and joking. Gage went to go ask what he was talking about, but Dekon signaled his longtime friend to just listen.

“We were actually heading to Barren when it happened. We stopped at some rocks to take shelter from a sand storm. Lux continued, as his eyes glazed over and he began to tell the tale.


------

The sun beat down over the vast desert. Sand was all that could bee seen for miles, and the heat waves that fanned off of the dunes and the sand appear to move like an ocean. In the east a large sandstorm blew across the terrain, rapidly moving west towards a rocky section of land that sat alone. A few hundred feet west of the rocks, two cloaked figures pressed on in the heat, striving to reach the rocks before the sand storm met them, in hopes that they could find some shelter from the coarse wave that would soon descend upon them.

The two figures reached the rocks and were able to search out a small rock opening to protect them as the storm passed into their area. The smaller figure removed her cloak and took a deep breath as she sat on the ground.

“Well, it looks like we’ll be resting finally huh Lux?” She asked as she let her golden locks down and pulled them back over her shoulders.

“It seems so.” The other figure said as he removed his cloak and set down his sword and trident. His hair was strewn behind his shoulders messily, and he let it stay that way as he sat next to her. He sighed as he did, as it was apparent he hadn’t rested in quite some time. “Soon we’ll be in Barren, and there we can stay in a nice inn while I earn some more money for us. Then we can afford transport back to Jinn if we don’t find him here.”

“That’ll be very nice. We haven’t had a nice evening to ourselves in a while.” She said as she curled up against him for comfort. He smiled as she drifted off to sleep, and he watched over her. He had watched over her for the past three years, and he always would. Both because he felt obligated to, and because he wanted to. He watched the sand pass by the opening in the rocks as he kept vigil. He wanted to rest, but something made him uneasy about this day, so he watched the sands, and thought.

“Why are we searching for your master this far out again?” She asked, half asleep.

“He is the closest thing I have ever had to a father.” Lux replied, smiling down at her. “I want to ask him about my past, as he seemed to know a lot about it. I would like to know more about who I am, and he can help me keep you safe.”

“You don’t have to do that Lux. I am not your responsibility.” She said as she nestled up against him again and passed out. He watched her until he was sure she was asleep and then he whispered lightly.

“I know, but I wouldn’t enjoy life away from you.” He said as he looked up to the sands again.

Something was different. There was a shadow in the distance, moving towards them, that wasn’t there before. It was a long way off, so Lux just watched it, hoping it was his mind playing tricks on him. But it wasn’t. He watched as the figure grew on the horizon. Soon he saw what appeared to be a man, with no cloak, walking unhindered through the sand. Lux slowly laid his companion down to the side, and dawned his cloak and weapons. He wasn’t going to be surprised or caught unprepared for this if it became a fight. He stood at the entrance watching as the figure walked directly toward them. Lux watched and clutched his trident close to him, ready for an attack. Then his world fell apart.

A tentacle shot out of the shadow towards him as the figure changed shape. Slowly it formed into a beast not of this world that crawled toward him. He tried to pry the tentacle enough to yell and wake her up, but he couldn’t breathe. Before he could do anything, he watched it pick her up and drag her into the sand. He managed to scream as it dropped him and disappear with her, as his world faded to black.

“Deirdre!” was his last scream as unconsciousness gripped him in the small rocky out cropping.


“Yeah. That’s where we found you.” Dekon interrupted, finally finishing his grog.

“So you were one of the men who found me?” Lux asked, swaying a bit as the soft feeling of inebriation gripped him in the make shift shelter.

“Yeah. I was headed back from a minor mission to deliver some criminals to Jinn. When we returned, we stopped there to set up camp for the night. One of my men found you unconscious in the rocks. It took some time but we convinced my father to grant you sanction and aid. It took three men to carry you back, and another two for your sword.” Dekon answered, slurring his words from the effects of the grog.

“Well then, it looks like we all have a reason to head back to Barren.” Gage interrupted.

“I still think we should try to take back your village.” Dekon replied, feeling very brash and anxious.

“No Dekon. I would rather wait, and not have to spill the blood of my people, than rush in, and have to fight them.” Gage answered, feeling tired and beginning to lie down. “Now let’s get some sleep. We have a long way to go before we’re safe.”

“Very well.” Dekon replied, lying down. He began to think of the emotion Lux felt for Deirdre. He wondered why the man expressed this to her, but then was very cold to everyone else. “At least,” Dekon thought to himself, “he’s opening up a bit to Gage and me. Maybe he’ll trust us enough to let us help him.”

Lux too lay down and drifted to sleep. He slept very restlessly that night, thinking of Deirdre and what was happening to her. He cried in his sleep, but neither of his companions knew.

------



The morning was cool, and as Gage awoke, dew was still gathered on the outside of his shelter. He arose, and quietly went out for his morning rituals. His companions were asleep, which was better for his routine. He wouldn’t have to answer any questions about it. He went about a hundred yards away from the shelter and began his rituals. First he gathered a pile of dirt from the ground and pushed it together. Next he gathered a small amount of tinder and piled it, making a minor fire. Third he took a feather from behind his ear, and set in to make a triangle with the three items. He stood in the middle, stiff as a board and closed his eyes. He concentrated very hard, and a soft light began to glow around him. It slowly grew a bit brighter, but it was hard to tell in the sunlight of the morning. He heard a loud screech like an eagle, but he kept concentrating. Soon the earth shook beneath him but he kept his eyes closed, still concentrating. Finally he felt a warm glow of heat as he stood there. He opened his eyes to see his three calls standing and waiting. To his left stood his earth giant, watching him silently, communicating only through a link that it shared with Gage. To Gage’s right floated a fire elemental, waving flames around him as he stayed silent. Gage turned and smiled as he saw his long time friend.

“Ahh Smoke. You’re on time as always.” Gage said as he stepped toward the gigantic bird in front of him. The bird stood over twenty feet tall, and screeched slightly as Gage petted it. “Thank you all for coming. At least you believe I am innocent.”

The earth giant nodded, and Smoke nuzzled Gage as he said it. The fire elemental stood silently as he watched. Gage turned to him as if looking for an opinion.

“Master, I believe these men can help you retake your title.” The fire elemental said, heat radiating from him as he spoke.

“I know, but I don’t want to bring them into this. Dekon is my friend from long ago, and this Lux has many things that he hopes to find. And besides, I believe that in time I can deal with Snyder myself.” Gage replied, still staying close to Smoke. A grumbling noise came from the earth giant, like the grinding of stones together.

“Yes. I hope that I have that much time too.” Gage said somberly. “Well, I think it is time you all leave, they will be waking soon, and we must be off. Thank you for your company.”

“Goodbye master” replied the fire elemental as he faded into the tinder and the flame extinguished. The earth giant crumbled to sand and seeped into the ground. Gage petted Smoke one last time before the bird flew away, and a single feather floated back down to the lone summoner. Gage promptly picked up the feather and put it back behind his ear.

“Do you call them every morning?” Lux’s voice came from behind a tree suddenly.

“You were listening?” Gage replied, surprised, but recognizing the voice.

“Only shortly.” Lux answered, stepping form his hiding place. “You share a unique bond with each of them huh?” Lux asked as he walked forward.

“Yes, each of them is my friend, and so they aid me when I ask.” Gage answered, relaxing from the surprise of his eve’s dropper.

“And what do they gain from it?” Lux asked, questioning the rituals, which were second nature to Gage.

“Friendship that they normally do not have. Each of them is an outcast from their people, one’s that I contact when they need me and I need them. It is the talent of my people.” Gage answered, in a sober happiness.

“I see. So you convene with them every morning?” Lux asked as the two headed back to camp.

“Only recently, when I spend the days alone. They are great company when you have no one else.” Gage answered. As the two walked back to camp, Dekon was up, and cooking breakfast on a small fire. He smiled as they walked up, and the two sat and ate with him. He had somehow found and trapped some rabbits in the time they were gone, and slowly roasted them.

“So what is the plan now Dekon?” Lux asked as they ate.

“Well, since Gage does not want to attempt to retake his throne now, we must head back to Barren. The only question is how to get through the Roshi village unseen, and get our horses back.” Dekon answered taking another piece of rabbit from the spit. Gage was about to open his mouth when all three jerked their heads up. They heard the sounds of a horse approaching on the path. In an instant, they all three darted for cover. A man rode up in while robes and looked around the camp. The three watched carefully, ready to strike if he was in fact an enemy. Gage drew his double saber from his back and watched from a tree limb, clinging silently to the branches. Dekon was crouched in a bush, and he carefully donned his claws so as not to make a sound. Lux, having trouble concealing his large frame ran and stood behind a tree and clutched his trident close. The three waited as the figure searched the shelter and walked back to his horse.

“Master Dekon!” The man called as he stood by his steed.

“I know that voice!” Dekon and Lux thought in unison as they emerged from their hiding places. When they saw the man they knew for sure that they were safe.

“Marcus!” Dekon exclaimed as he put his claws away. “What are you doing here?”

“Master Dekon! Master Lux!” Marcus called, with a heavy tone of relief in his voice. “Thank the gods you are here! I have been riding nonstop to catch you.”

“Woah, slow down Marcus.” Lux replied, walking over to the man. “What is wrong?”

“Barren Castle has been attacked!” Marcus shouted. Gage dropped from the tree he was in and ran up at this moment.

“What!” Dekon shouted, fear in his eyes as he began to think of what could have happened.

“The morning after you left, they attacked. We don’t know where they’re from or why they did, but they swarmed us. The village is burned to the ground. Women, children, all dead, and the last of the army is holed up in the castle walls, trying to fend them off. But that was two days ago. Who knows if they’re still alive?” Marcus answered crying as he did.

“We have to get back, NOW!” Dekon exclaimed as he started off.

“But how master? It is almost three days ride, and you have no horses.” Marcus asked, a sound of impending doom in his voice. Dekon looked to Gage, as did Lux. They all three nodded.

“What? Do you have a way master?” Marcus asked as he looked confusingly at the three men.

“Have you ever ridden a Roc before?” Gage asked as he drew the feather from behind his ear. He clutched it between two fingers and pressed it to his lips. As he mumbled an incantation quietly, Gage began to glow slightly and a shadow fell on the four. The loud screech of a bird of prey could be heard as the sky was blocked out by the shadow.
© Copyright 2006 EyesOfDarkShine (luxumbra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1135371-Tears-of-Apocalypse-Chapter-3