*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216694-LEDA--AND--HER--DEMON--LOVER
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Other · #1216694
A serial killer is on the loose. Leda is looking for adventure and a new boyfriend.
    LEDA  AND  HER  DEMON  LOVER

By  Robert  Davidson

Mirrors  are  living  lies, Leda  Angelopolos  thought.  They  reflect  only  the  outside.  And  not  the  fiend  living  within.

Leda  stopped  a  moment  to  look  into  her  dressing-table  mirror.  At  times  she  felt  there  was  another  person, other  than  herself,  her  everyday  self  that  she  knew  so  well, looking  back  at  her.  To  her,  this  was  a  self  she  feared  -  one  that  she  had  many  times  tried  to  ignore,  and  yet  here  it  was  at  this  moment  attempting  to  assert  itself.  She  shuddered,  and  turned  away  from  the  glass.

Often  she  would  find  this  other  self  wrestling  with  thoughts  that  would  come  against  her  will.  Like  longing  for  some  bronzed  athlete,  more  virile  than  Mars  or  even  Priapus  himself.  Thinking  such  thoughts,  crude,  even  obscene  thoughts  that  she  had  never  realized  herself  capable.  And  always  she  felt  these  lower  thoughts,  as  she  called  them,  were  a  corrosion  of,  and  a  threat  to  her  better  self,  the  self  she  saw  herself  as  being. Passions  like  these  struck  like  a  sharp-pointed  knife.  As  though  she  were  possessed  by  a  demon.

Leda  finished  applying  her  make-up  and  leaned  back  to  survey  herself  critically  in  the  glass.  Why,  she  thought,  had  she  chosen  such  a  violent  orange  lipstick at  odds  with  her  olive  complexion? And  her  cheekbones  heavily  reddened? And  that  mascara  and  eyeshadow?  Oh,  well,  there  wasn’t  time  to  change  it  now.  Gordon  Pettibone  would  be  waiting  for  her  out  in  the  car,  and  would  be  upset  if  she  was  late  again.  She  smoothed  down  her  dress  as  she  stood  up  to  leave  the  room.  She  turned  and  took  one  last  look  at  her  reflection.  But  strange  to  say,  she  could  not  see  herself  at  all.  Perhaps  it  was  a  trick  of  the  light,  for  there  was  only  a  dark  shadow  where  he  face  had  been.

The  telephone  was  ringing  as  she  came  downstairs.  It  was  Gordon  saying  that  he  had  been  held  up  at  the  office  and  would  not  be  able  to  pick  her  up  for  at  least  another  hour.  And  there  she  was,  all  dressed  up  and  waiting.  Well,  she  would  walk  down  to  the  shops  to  fill  in  the  time.  Perhaps  check  out  the  new  café  in  High  Street.

She  smiled  at  her  reflection  in  shop  windows  as  she  passed.  Her  dress  clung  to  her  figure  in  a  way  she  hadn’t  noticed  before.  She  knew  Gordon  Pettibone  wouldn’t  like  that.  He  was  a  bit  of  a  prude  and  didn’t  like  her  showing  off  her  body  in  public. Outside  the newsagency  a  headline  caught  her  eye,  ‘Serial  killer  strikes  again!’  But  her  attention  was  distracted  by  a  couple  of  hoons  in  a  car  whistling  as  she  crossed  at  the  traffic  lights.  But  she  didn’t  mind  that  so  much  tonight.  Although  in  the  past,  she  had  always  hated  it  when  men  misbehaved.

Some  minutes  later  a  man  came  into  the  café  and  sat  down  at the  vacant  seat  at  her  table.  He  was  not  unknown  to  her.  It  was,  in  fact,  a  man  she  knew  as  Spiridon,  who  worked  in  the  same  office  building  as  herself.

As  Spiridon  was  twice  her  age,  Leda  was  sure  Gordon  would  not  mind  her  talking  to  him.  His  pitchblende  eyes  -  so  black  and  hard  were  taking  in  her  whole  body  as  he  talked,  seeing  it  as  a  promised  land  no  doubt.  A  disconcerting  stare,  she  felt.  His  voice  was  silk-smooth,  his  vibrant  tones  almost  a  caress.

She  recalled  the  time  he  had  trapped  her  between  the  filing  cabinets  last  Christmas.  He  was  putting  his  mouth  close  to  her  ear.  Leda  had  laughed  in  his  face  when  he  said  a  woman  was  far  happier  if  she  had  a  master.  At  the  same  time  she  had  struggled  inwardly,  fighting  her  own  primitive  instincts.  Authority  thrilled  a  woman,  he  told  her.  Nothing  but  complete  subjugation.

She  felt  his  difference  from  herself.  They  had  left  the  café  and  were  walking  though  a  park  down  towards  the  beach.  It  was  like  being  at  the  bottom  of  some  dusty,  flowering  garden  in  Hades,  she  felt.  And  she  an  escaping  Persephone.  A  man’s  nature  will  get  the  better  of  him,  he  was  saying.  In  the  moonlight  his  eyelids  looked  as  solid  as  stone.  Her  hips  brushing  against  him  as  they  walked.

In  the  animal  world,  he  went  on  to  say,  it’s  nature’s  decree  the  male  shall  dominate. 

Leda  turned  to  him  and  laughed  as  she  said.  The  higher  primates  have  progressed,  evolved  beyond  that.

And  then  she  was  refusing  him  her  mouth.  But  shocked.  Leda  was  forced  to  admit  to  herself  that  while  her  mind  rebelled  her  body  desired.  Her  indignation  he  would  know  concealed  an  unconscious  excitement.  What  power  was  this  man  exerting  upon  her?  His  breath  against  her  face.  She  needed  to  defend  herself,  not  so  much  against  him  as  against  herself.  It  was  as  though  she  had  crashed  the  door  of  some  Bluebeard’s  chamber.  Her  hand  was  stiffening  in  his  hand.  His  thumb  passing  over  her  fingers  and  up  to  her  wrist.

And  now  each  time  she  raised  her  eyes,  she  found  his  eyes  waiting  to  meet  hers.  In  the  end,  the  thing  she  didn’t  want  to  happen  yet  wanted  to  happen,  happened.  She  looked  up.  Eyes  met.  Mouths  joined.  He  had  locked  his  fingers  in  hers.                                                                                                                                                                                           

It’s  too  strong  for  either  of  us,  Spiridon  was  saying.  She  felt  a  chill  in  her  spine.  Shuddered.  Impelled  suddenly  by  some  force  over  which  she  had  no  control.  Some  compelling  force  held  sway  over  her  will.  A  strong  magnetic  quality  that  drew  even  while  it  repelled.  His  body  against  hers. There  was  no  escape.  His  face  was  set,  her  eyes  brittle.

The  sea  is  a  vast  looking-glass  reflecting  moonlight  and  shadows  Leda  thought  as  they  stood  together  on  the  beach.  And  for  a  moment  she  felt  herself  lost  in  this  puzzle  of  moon-shadow.  I  don’t  want  to  but  I  do,  she  thought  struggling  with  herself.  She  was  imagining  his  tongue  upon  her  mouth;  picturing  how  their  bodies  would  interlock. And  then  she  was  letting  him.  She  felt  she  was  opening  up  her  whole  inner  self  as  they  slid  to  the  sand.
 
At  once  she  was  startled  and  tried  to  sit  up.  He  was  pushing  her  hands  away  as  she  tried  to  touch  the  front  of  his  trousers.

It  was  then  that  she  saw  his  knife.  She  was  able  to  scream  only  once  before  he  put  his  other  hand  over  her  mouth.  The  knife  entered  her  throat,  cutting  the  jugular  in  a  spurt  of  blood. 

Copyright 2006
www.robertdavidson.blogsource.com


© Copyright 2007 ROBERT DAVIDSON (robertdavidson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1216694-LEDA--AND--HER--DEMON--LOVER