*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1257897-Untitled
Rated: 13+ · Other · Drama · #1257897
A new story that I started about what it's like to love someone who doesn't love you back.
Chapter One
He stood on the street corner, looking up to the third floor of the brick building across the street. He knew she was still up there, seventh window from the left, working hard like she did every night. Every muscle in his body wanted to walk up to the door, ride the elevator to her floor, sweep her off her feet, hold her in his arms and kiss the breath out of her. But he had turned from her and now he was paying for it. He had picked his “beauty queen” Cammie over “plain jane” Beth, his Beth. Well, not anymore. He shook his head and sat on the bench he was standing next to and waited.
         Upstairs, on the third floor, Beth stared at the empty page in front her, her mind blank, unable to come up with the words to put into writing. Five years as a writer, who put shocks and twists in all her novels and one real life surprise and her mind and body had shut down. The tears began to surge and Beth closed her eyes trying to hold them back. She knew the reason behind her writers block. His announcement has shaken her. She had thought that she could win him back, but she hadn’t and now he was going to marry that blonde bimbo with her fake hair, fake nose and fake boobs. She laughed bitterly. Irony was staring her in the face. She had hired Cammie as her assistant after her sixth book had hit a million copies. Cammie had been qualified, talented, polite and in a very inappropriate slip up in her interview she had told Beth that she was gay. That had worked out perfectly, because even after three years together, Preston still had a tendency to let his eyes, and hands, wander and hiring a gay assistant meant one less woman to worry about. Boy did that bite her in the ass. Three months as her assistant and Beth had caught them naked in her office and they sure as hell weren’t editing her book. Beth put her head on the desk. She swore when she was mad, even if it was only in her head, she still hated that about herself. She looked at the clock. 11:52. At some point she had to go home. At some point she had to stand up. She laughed when she realized that she hadn’t stood up since he had told her, and the rest of the office, that he and Cammie were tying the knot. A spur of the moment decision he had laughed about and Beth had to sit down to keep from falling over. She hadn’t stood up since. She glanced around to make sure that everyone had left. She pulled her purse out of the drawer she kept it in and put it on the desk. She gripped the desk to hold on to as she stood up. The floor seemed to shake a little under her but she knew she was okay to walk home. She grabbed her purse and strode out of the office as fast as she could. She waited for the elevator to open and just about jumped inside wanting to get home as fast as she could. Her bed was calling her name and she had a few days off, so she didn’t even have to stress about coming back tomorrow. The elevator opened and Beth strolled outside. She took her eyes off the concrete for a second and thought that she truly had gone insane. There sitting on a bench across the street sat Preston. She closed her eyes tight and reopened them Sure enough he was there, walking very purposely toward her, not even checking to make sure no cars were coming as he crossed the street.
         “Beth” he said quietly when he reached her. He tried to put his hand out to her, but Beth stepped back before he cold touch her.
         “What are you doing Preston?” Beth asked unkindly. She had no patience for him right now. She was barely standing and it was taking all of her effort to keep it that way.
         “I wanted to see how you were.” He said with his smooth talker voice. She knew that voice too well. That was his “sorry that I did it, but I still love you” voice.
         “You could have asked early today. Oh but wait, you were too busy with everything else to worry about me. Don’t, please. I’m fine. Thanks for asking.” Beth rolled her eyes in frustration.
         “I couldn’t face you after we had announced it. Cammie was so excited and you know I can’t say no to her.” He smiled brightly.
         “Seriously do you think that I care about what Cammie wants? Speaking of Barbie, don’t you think that she’ll wonder where you are at midnight, or can’t she tell time?” Beth said sarcastically.
         “Now come on Beth, I thought that you would be civil about all of this.” Preston chided, the sound of disappointment in his tone.
         “No Preston. You know what; I can’t do this right now.” Beth turned and started to walk away. He grabbed her hand and pulled her toward him.
         “Don’t leave.” He begged.
         “Let go Preston.” Beth said very calmly, trying to unhook his fingers from her wrist.
         “I don’t know what to do Beth. I’m so confused right now. I still love you.” He whispered in her ear. Beth snorted.
         “I’m sorry, you still love me? Are you kidding me? Did you love me when you were screwing her on top of my desk? I don’t believe you. You know what, it doesn’t matter.” Beth closed her eyes to keep the tears in. She found the strength and looked at him. “You had your chance. I’m done. You wanted her, now you have her. Go be with her because I don’t want you.” She lied to his face and yanked her hand away. She gave him one more “follow me and die” looks and walked away without a glance backward.
         “Beth!” Preston yelled down the street. He shook his head in defeat. He had gone about that the wrong way. Bringing up Cammie set her off. So next time, he wouldn’t and see if maybe she would talk to him then. She obviously needed time to think. Preston knew that Beth couldn’t say no to him for long. He would get her back.
         “Damn it” he punched the light post. He didn’t want her back. He couldn’t have her back. He had Cammie; he was going to marry Cammie. Utterly confused and defeated, he sauntered back to his Camero and drove off toward his apartment. Thankfully Cammie was gone, so he wouldn’t have to explain his midnight excursion.
© Copyright 2007 Kalenta (jennifer.yager at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1257897-Untitled