*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1268996-in-your-hands
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1268996
work romance
'It's in your hands. It's in your hands.' The thought spun around in her head, the last thing he said before he left. The thought of Warren being in her hands was tantalizing. Their hands barely touched when he passed her paperwork. She's never dared let her fingers reach out further, always pulling back quickly before the touch could linger. Their eyes were beginning to say what words shouldn't. She could feel her heart start to race when he looked at her. She knew people didn't look at you that way normally, she knew he was looking at her in a special way. She was begining to wonder what would happen if...

'It's in her hands', she reminded herself.

What could her hands do from across the counter top? She imagined her hands lingering on his. Then gently roaming up from his fingertips to his wrist where his shirt sleeve would taunt her, preventing her from touching the bare skin of his arms. She imagined his arms to be slender and taught, able to hold her as she lifts herself up over the counter to him.

She noticed her breathing was becoming heavier just thinking about him. She tried to return to her work at the computer, the numbers running together, blurring into possible sizes he could be. He's tall, that could mean... but the phone distracted her.

It was her first job out of college, newly trained in a permanent position, her life seemed like it was finally falling into place. Maybe now she could focus on love. Lately she'd been working so hard studying to graduate that her social life was completely forgotten. Even Brad had left. He'd stuck with her almost to the end then gave up on her when she put all her time into studying for her final exams. Maybe she'd sacrificed the wrong thing.

A movement from the window in front of her caused her to look up from her computer, he swooshed by with paperwork, looking her direction long enough to wink. Involuntarily, she smiled, then quickly looked back at her computer. In her momentary lapse from inputing data, she rested her hands upon the keyboard tray. BANG!

"Oh" she let out a small yelp, being startled by the clatter of equipment . He stopped in his tracks and returned to her.

"Are you ok, Stacey?" he asked. His hand on her shoulder was warm and comforting, it's warmth spreading to her blood, causing a flush on her cheeks.

"Yes, I think so. The drawer fell off the track." She reached to pick up her keyboard from the floor.

"Here, take this paperwork up front, I'll fix the tray." His hand touched hers and for a moment he looked at her, as if to reassure himself that she was ok.

When she returned, he was lying prone on the floor looking up at he desk and using a screw driver to repair the drawer hinge. She found herself working around him, receiving paperwork through one window, serving customers at the counter on the other side of him.

"Hey, don't get any ideas while you're down there!" Gerry, the service man, yelled from across the counter.

She blushed at the suggestion and held her skirt against her legs. She wondered if Warren had considered letting his eyes meander from her black pumps, up her lace stockings to see the lingerie she 'd chosen specially to match her skirt and blouse.

"You mean like stepping on him?' she laughed

"Hey! Your pretty mean to someone who's helping you out! You want this fixed or not?" he teased back.

"Well, wearing a skirt and stepping on you might not be so mean, if you think about it!" she teased.

"Hey you two, get to work!" Gerry reminded them from across the hall.

"There. All done. You're all fixed up and can get back to work." Warren dusted his pants off. "How's my back look?" He turned his shoulder towards her and she brushed off invisible dust and dirt, glad for the chance to feel the muscular lines of his shoulders and back. She dared to brush lower and her hand ran across his belt.

"Aahhh!" he said and turned towards her again, "thanks."

He was close enough that she could hear him breathe. She looked up into his sea blue eyes and he was looking back at her. She let him hold her gaze for a few moments, and then the phone rang. And they both returned to work. But something was different now. They had exchanged something with that look. She wasn't sure what and she sure couldn't wait for the next time he would pass by her window so she could find out.

As she returned to her keyboard, she watched her fingers. They seem to have a knowledge all their own, knowing where to touch at just the right time to get the results she wanted. "Its in your hands". The words danced in her mind. Just how would she use her hands? Could she let them go where they wanted to go? Right now they needed to grab a pen and write instructions for a customer. She watched the ink flow across the page until it spattered and emptied it's last drops on the counter.

Warren stopped at her desk as she wiped up the counter.

"Hey." he said

"Hey.'' she said.

"Well, I'm done. See you tomorrow." Warren smiled at her.

"Sure, leave me here to finish alone!" She waved him of, and continued to close her day's work, moistening her fingers to carefully count money and cash out.
© Copyright 2007 MiniMaggie (margaretcan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1268996-in-your-hands