*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1370178-Darr-Shaw-Part-1
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #1370178
Darr-Shaw Series Story 1
The forest was quiet that damp night. Darr' Shaw could feel every twig and leaf beneath her bare paws and flexed accordingly to muffle the sound made by her black leopard feet. She was low, her stomach mere centimeters off the ground. She moved in fluid like motions, her light eyes wandered the dense forest to find one thing.

Just up ahead, going past the foliage, the forest breaks off into a meadow where there is a well spring. Darr' followed the scent of blood to this spot. Here, she saw what she was looking for lying next to the spring. A lone doe with a gash on her leg, blood mixed with the mud to make a reddish clay. The sight exited Darr' Shaw because it meant that she could do what she did best... kill.

She licked her lips in anticipation of the hunt to come. The deer was laying down, drinking the water. Darr' did not want this to be easy. She knew the deer had intense hearing and flexibility. She would wait until the doe stopped drinking and got up from her relaxed position.

The tension rose as Darr' Shaw's muscles tightened in a moment where time ceased to exist and all there was, was stillness. The doe raised her head and blinked her eyes. Darr' could not contain herself any longer. She ran. Everything blurred in her vision except her prey, as it got closer and closer. Darr' Shaw felt the ground leave her feet and felt the air course through her fur as she leaped. Her eyes locked onto the doe's neck. Darr' Shaw's lips curled back in the air as she landed directly in front of the deer.

As quick as she could, Darr' bit into the neck of the deer with as much force as she could muster. She heard a snap and felt her incisors clamp down behind the deer's neck bone... this had been a powerful bite, indeed. She could feel the doe's steaming warm blood flow over her lower lip and down her chin, as she continued to flex her jaw. Finally, Darr' Shaw jerked her head back, so that it ripped the neck bone from it's fleshy cocoon.

Darr' Shaw looked over her shoulder at the doe, and grinned. The neck bone dropped from her blood stained teeth as she began to chuckle to herself. "Like a dance..." she muttered and walked away. 
© Copyright 2008 Leos Vires (leos_vires at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1370178-Darr-Shaw-Part-1