*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1379691-A-Strange-Dream
Rated: GC · Fiction · Supernatural · #1379691
The story of a strange trip through an ever shifting dream scape.
Entering the Dream the dream spoke to my soul in a thousand tongues. Rumored to me a thousand lives, whispered to me a thousand fantasies, and promised me that I would return again and again.

Into the tunnels swerving curving walls, some huge subterranean septic system running hither and amok through the earth. Forced along corridor after corridor. Piece after piece of my life unfolding before my very eyes like a movie playing faster and faster in my mind. Recognizable bi-ways and dead end corridors appeared that I have taken and those I have not taken. The propulsion seemed to intensify as I saw light ahead. Then I was shot forth out of the tunnel
Like a canon. A waterfalls freefall into a calm pool beneath. I awake cold, sweating, shaking, and heart thrumming. Just a dream. Just a dream. I drift off to sleep again.

The train swept by me knowing that if I chose to I could just hop right on. Yet the faces staring out the train's dusty dingy windows seemed so sullen eyed and listless. Their eyes shifting aimlessly, vacantly.... before me the train swept by. Kicking at small stones along the tracks, humming a faint diddy to myself. Another train would come eventually. All I had to do was wait.
Another train never came that day, or the next. Thirst quenched by scorpion venom a nightly delirium rose to the yelping of coyotes bellowing their yips to the seamless shadow of the night's symphony.
By the time the moon rose I realized that maybe one of the pretty little cactus buttons might taste good, so I ate of it. After vomiting and retching for what seemed like an eternity as my mind's eye was filled with geometric Mayan like characters and my spirit filled with a sense of well being. I slept for a time.
Heat! Mouth tasting of dust and dry grit. Opening an eye I was greeted by a toad blinking its eyes at me. I leaped to my feet. The toad only grunting at my sudden movement as I snatched it up in my dirty hands. Biting off its head vaguely noticing the white milky substance oozing from its neck as I took another bite. Grunting hungrily breaking bones with teeth, as little guts squished around in my mouth. The best meal I'd had in days although the cactus was quite tasty.
© Copyright 2008 Jacob Wayne Peacock (jacobwayne at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1379691-A-Strange-Dream