*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1379694-The-Mud-Flats
Rated: GC · Other · Writing · #1379694
A Reoccurring dream I had sometime in the late Nineties. Written entirely from memory.
I'm on my back, something smells, I am lying in mud, and I feel feverish. I begin to stand and fall as a searing pain ignites from my lower right leg. I howl out with pain as I catch myself from falling. Looking down I see that my leg is caught in the steal jaws of what looks like a wickedly over sized bear trap. Reaching down I try to pry it open. More searing pain, and this time I do fall face first into the mud. More pain, I cry out again, consciousness flees.
Coming to, I remember the steel jaws clamped on my leg, and take care to roll over slowly and sit on my ass in the mud. Getting a good look at the steel spring trap I see that a heavy chain is attached from it to a large metal ring set in the mud. Tugging on the chain resulted in several short burst of pain, so I left it alone and began pulling at the jaws of the trap. Finding some kind of release lever the jaws came open, and I fell unconscious again.
I awoke and rose slowly to my feet, wobbling a bit from the pain. Looking around I could see that the dream scape was mud flats. Everywhere as far as the eye could see was the dark stinking steaming mud.
Wandering across the mud flats I felt entirely alone. This false sense of security lasted until I looked behind me, and saw a massive horde of rats. A moving mass of furry little bodies that seemed to ripple and swell like a large body of water, such was the mass of rats that stretched to the horizon. Franticly I began looking around for a way to safety, and there in the distance a lone solitary hill. Running. Moving farther than steps would provide, pulling the dream scape closer, tugging at the strings, I moved towards the pentacle with all my being.
I sort of just arrived at the hill, or it arrived at me, or both, there I was at its base looking at it sheer sides that seemed impossibly vertical. I began wondering how I was going to get to the top. I walked closer to its surface, touching it, it felt like stone, black, dry, and towering into the sky, stone. Some how I ran up the sheer surface, reaching the top just as the rat horde began to swell around the base of the stone. Looking around, the rats were everywhere from horizon to horizon, a ghostly shadow cast by the setting sun reminded me of the sun setting over the beach, something told me that no sun had ever set on an ocean quite like this before.
I grew very calm. There seemed to be warmth growing in my chest, and although the sky did not brighten there seemed to be a brightening glow shining on me the stone and the surrounding area. Something seemed to flicker in my chest and as I tried to pursue it, it fled from me. Then the light grew stronger and when I felt the flicker again, I surrendered to it. Then another sort of surrendering unleashed its force. The hill, the rats, the mud flats all disappeared in a blinding flash of white light.
© Copyright 2008 Jacob Wayne Peacock (jacobwayne at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1379694-The-Mud-Flats