*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1581485-Taxi
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by KMS
Rated: · Short Story · Inspirational · #1581485
A lesson learned in a taxi cab
“Bring me to 5th street.”
“Yes sir” Said the taxi driver.
“Can you hurry it up? I have places to be right now, you know like a real job?”
The taxi driver looked into the rear view mirror and replied in a calm voice; “Why is your job any more significant than mine?”
The man met the drivers gaze and with a cocky smile replied;” I am a CEO and I went to college. So therefore I am more significant as an individual”
“You know, every day I drive men just like you to work and all of them, no matter how rich, have given me respect. And you are the only one who has ever insulted me in such a way. Would you like to know why I am driving this taxi right now?”
The man chuckled softly” OK. It is not like we’re getting anywhere anytime soon, so why not, Pablo?
“A racist joke, well anyway; I am a college student at Boston University. I have a full scholarship, but I’m only able to attend school part time. My mother died recently and I have been given responsibility of my younger sister. This is my second job. I also work as a bartender. Not exactly jobs to boast about, but one day I will have a college education, just like you. My life has been hard, but I try and respect everyone I come into contact with and you should do the same.”
“I’m sorry I had no idea”
“Now you do. I don’t ask for your pity. I just ask that you relinquish your ignorance. Thank you for listening.”
They arrived at 5th St. “Thank you” replied the man and handed the taxi driver one hundred dollars before he exited. And he walked away with a greater respect for all people. The taxi driver took the tip without realizing the amount of money he had received.
“Wait sir I can’t accept this!”, but he man was gone.
Three days later the taxi driver gave the money to charity. He was independent and didn’t need the man's money…

© Copyright 2009 KMS (ks1295 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1581485-Taxi