*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1773597-Farewell-My-Darling
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1773597
A mother stumbles upon a picture of her daughter; Writer's Cramp entry, 5/4/11
I stumbled upon your picture today. My little princess, all dressed up, your eyes sparkling as you smiled at me. You were so beautiful that night, in your blue, strapless gown, your boyfriend of two years on your arm, who was excited and nervous to take you to the prom, your last dance of high school. I thought you two were so perfect for each other. I remember waving to you, laughing as I said, “farewell, and have fun!” as he drove you away.

But this picture…I cannot stop myself from crying when I look at it, because this is the last picture I ever took of you. That night, everything was shattered when I got the phone call at two in the morning from the police; that was the moment all of my dreams, my hopes, and you, my daughter, were taken from me.

The police said it was a fatal accident, caused by a drunk driver; I later learned that the guilty person was none other than your boyfriend. He survived with serious injuries, but the passenger…my little girl…was killed instantly from the impact.

My darling princess, why did it have to end this way? Such beauty, such innocence, taken away in an instant because of a reckless, foolish decision. Such a lovely face, crushed into an unrecognizable, bloody mess.

When I look at this picture of you, my child, all I see is your mangled, lifeless body in the hospital. When I look at this picture, all I can think about is what could have been, and what never will be.

My precious baby, I have to put this photo away. I have to close my eyes and, against the tears, once again whisper to you, "farewell."

Word count: 287
© Copyright 2011 Sarah Kate (falloutoflove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1773597-Farewell-My-Darling