*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1878656-Abnormal-cells--or-classmates
Rated: · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1878656
A popular kid is paired up with unlikely people for a school project. 400 word count.
I pulled open the front door, to reveal two of the weirdest faces I had ever seen. The first was Shay, the "emo" girl in the class. She was wearing black from head to toe, with blood red streaks in her hair. The person next to her was Lily, the perky, weird, and extremely short blonde who always seemed to be reading, or chatting amongst the other misfits in the class. Neither of them seemed particularly happy to be here, and I couldn't blame them. I reluctantly opened the door wider, admitting them in. They followed me into my room, and looked at me expectantly. I cleared my throat and spoke. "So, uh... Any ideas for the project?" I barley kept myself from stuttering. I wished the teacher had just paired me with Brina and Celeste, it would have been so much easier. Lily, for once, was silent. It was Shay that finally spoke. "We could do an art project. A sculpture of a DNA cell. I can draw." Lily smiled tentatively, and added, "I can sculpt pretty well." I nodded, and said, "We should probably get the supplies then."

After a fifteen minute shopping spree at the local craft store, we had the supplies out and ready on the table. I start making labels for each cell part, and Lily and Shay were busy creating the parts of the cell model. There was serious tension in the air as we all silently worked, all to aware of our neighbors. Lily eventually piped up. "So... Does anyone know know any good movies?" I had several at the front of my mind, but Shay was the one who spoke first. "Have you seen High School Musical?" I stated at her, shocked. With her reputation, I was surprised she didn't recommend Saw 6. "Yeah, I liked that one better than the second." I offered tentatively. Shay smiled at me, and Lily beamed happily. Maybe they weren't that odd after all...

-Two days later-

I looked happily at the giant red A+ on my paper, and looked up at Shay, who sat across from me. A smile hinted at the edge of her lips. A few seats behind me, I heard Lily's squeal of joy, and I looked up at the model, sitting up on display. Just like the situation that had seemed so terrible at the beginning, it had turned out well.
© Copyright 2012 Angel Jean Bridges (ang3lx3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1878656-Abnormal-cells--or-classmates