*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2234796-The-Planning-Begins
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2234796
An end of life on Earth scenario caused by a large rock falling from sky.
“The crowds have breached the southern gate, Sargent.”

“Go take charge of the situation, secure the perimeter using whatever force necessary.”

“Yes, Sir.”

Sargent Martin was nearing retirement, and it was just his luck that all of his 401 and savings would amount to nothing now that ‘it’ was coming.

He left the control centre, made his way towards the transport area, jumped into his Jeep, and called his Corporal to get an update.

”We’ve retreated to the inner perimeter, Sargent. We fired warning shots, but it only holds them back for a minute or two before they come at us again.”

“Shoot to kill, Corporal.”

“Sargent...can you repeat that.”

”Corporal, we need to maintain the security of this base. There is no alternative, shoot to kill.”

“But there are women and children, Sarge; we can’t fire on them...they’re scared.”

“Do as you are ordered, Corporal. If they breach that fence, we’re all doomed!”

”Yes, Sargent.”

The sound of automatic gunfire rings out over the base, along with the dying screams of so many terrified and desperate people, as mass hysteria takes over the entire planet.



“It’s huge...bigger than six miles across.”

“And the trajectory?”

“There is no doubt. We have three months and six days until impact...until life as we know it ceases to exist.”

“What’s the plan, John?”

”Get as many people into space as we can. The Chinese, Russians and Japan are all doing the same, although how they will get back without ground crews is still being considered.”

“All our submarines will be heading for the opposite side of impact, loaded with what will be needed for when the skies clear and the acid rain stops falling.”

“The only other way to survive is to get underground, away from the heat and fire. But, that is very risky because of the massive earthquakes that will likely collapse many underground systems. It’s inevitable; we are looking at a mass extinction...life on this planet, if we can save enough people and deal with the aftermath, may carry on, but we can only do so much, the rest is up to God.”

As the human race looks to the sky, fear of what is coming is overwhelming for some, yet, on the whole, acceptance of their fate prevails as people spend their last days together in family groups, along with friends and neighbours, all awaiting the blast that will take humankind and extinguish us from existence.

© Copyright 2020 Dr Gonzo (neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2234796-The-Planning-Begins