*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319561-Dog-People-Do
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2319561
Flash Fiction
Dog People Do

“What happened here?” Jane said, as she walked in from the basement laundry room.

Bingo looked up. He didn’t quite understand a lot of human words yet, just some, “stay” and “down” and definitely “supper!” But sometimes he would get a good idea from Jane’s face. Right now, it said confused, and something else too, though he wasn’t sure what.

“Over there,” she said now, pointing a finger toward a pile in the corner.

‘Oh’ he thought, ‘she found my poopie!’

Bingo was so proud of his decision to use that corner! Usually, Jane took him outside. She had done so ever since he was a tiny puppy. But today the poopie seemed not to want to wait, and Jane was not there! She was usually there when he had poopie feelings, but she wasn’t there, and he was feeling like it was not going to wait!

Bingo tried hard to keep it inside, but wasn’t sure how, and so finally he quickly looked around for the best place to let it out. He actually disqualified places. Not near the table because Jane didn’t really like the smell and she eats there. Not near the sink because the sink has water and everybody needs water! Not near the door, too easy to step on. Bingo was a very smart dog.

He chose the place in a corner near the window. The place was almost always dusty because nobody ever walked there, not even Bingo. It was the boring corner.

He turned back to Jane, and wagged his tail because she noticed how careful he’d been. And oddly enough, she did!

They had a lovely sixteen years together. And to the surprise of many, they always seemed to know what the other one was thinking.

Of course, dog people always do.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319561-Dog-People-Do