*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321161-He-Who-Laughs-Last
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Western · #2321161
Bronco Billy and Tex Beauman had a different kind of showdown. 300 words
He Who Laughs Last


“I tell you what, Festus, if that horse’s rear end, Bronco Billy shows up agin, I have a mind to call him out,” complained Tex Beauman.

Festus shifted his chew of tobacco to his other cheek and grinned.

“That would be somethin’ te see,” he said, then spit into the spittoon.

The next morning, Festus had a ‘speak of the devil’ moment when he saw Bronco Billy riding up the center of main street on a beautiful Palamino. Then he saw Tex come into view at the other end of the street, riding his mare into town.

Festus ran forward and quickly drew a line across the dusty street from one side to the other.

“Stop short of that mark, you two,” he shouted.

They did, one looking puzzled and Tex gettin’ ready for a fight.

“Drop yer guns on the ground. This here is gonna be a bloodless competition,” Festus told them.

“When I drop my neckerchief, the first one to git his
horse
to laugh, wins. The other will leave peaceable-like.”

Each rider bent down to whisper in his mount’s ear. Nothing happened at first. When the grimy neckerchief fell, the Palamino reared up and unseated his rider. Tex’s horse let out a loud neighing laugh.

“We have a clear winner, Bronco Billy git back up on that fancy horse and skedaddle!”

Clearly angry, Billy stared daggers at Festus.

“You best git, son,” Tex told him.

Reluctantly, Billy turned tail and galloped away in a cloud of dust.

“You know he’ll be back, right?” Tex said.

But not for some time, he was embarrassed by his uppity blonde horse,” Festus told him.

“I owe you a beer, Deputy,” Tex replied.

“Don’t mind if I do, Sheriff,” Festus said as he smacked his dry lips.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321161-He-Who-Laughs-Last