*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321226-Loneliness-or-Alone
by Ayla
Rated: E · Monologue · Psychology · #2321226
the transformative journey of self-discovery through solitude
Leave me alone for a moment, but don't go too far. We all crave solitude sometimes, though the degree varies. Some people are more extroverted and constantly seek company, while others are more introverted and prefer being alone. Regardless, everyone occasionally desires solitude.

When we're alone, we don't have to wear any masks. Initially, it can be daunting. It feels uncomfortable, strange. You might start asking yourself, "Who am I?" Perhaps you've pondered this question before, but it's never as intense as when you start living alone. Meal times become less about collective preferences and more about personal choices: "What do I want?"

In many situations, it's just you and yourself. After the initial fear subsides, a sense of freedom begins to grow—a sense of being truly yourself. In the presence of others, we're never entirely ourselves. We adapt. Biologically, we must fit in enough to avoid being perceived as a threat, yet remain distinct enough to be interesting. These are the continuous contradictions we face.

Moreover, we grapple with internal battles and the prejudices from our environment and ourselves, which compel us to wear these masks. Eventually, it becomes so ingrained that we question: "What is the mask, and what is me?" This prompts a journey of self-exploration, seeing ourselves as if from a third-person perspective. It's a journey that never truly ends.

After spending time alone, understanding your desires and true self, you might start to miss sharing your life with others. You realize that we only have one life, and it doesn't feel fulfilling to experience it entirely alone.
© Copyright 2024 Ayla (aftermid9ht at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321226-Loneliness-or-Alone