*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321691-Know-yourself
by Ayla
Rated: E · Monologue · Philosophy · #2321691
Reflection in making decisions, knowing the future and ourselves
In the ancient Greek Museum of Delphi, there's an epigraph that says: "Know yourself." This inscription is found in a temple where people went to learn about their future. At first, it seems curious because it doesn't feel directly connected. How can knowing yourself make you know about the future? But what if that is actually the way?

When we know ourselves, we make better and quicker choices. We have experienced things before that build our intuition, and that is what gives us a feeling of what is wrong and what is right. So, in life, we are presented with decisions and we often go and ask others what we should do. We don't necessarily want to know our future; what we want is to know what we should do in order to get the future that we want. But sometimes it starts from there. What do we want? How can we even know if we don't know ourselves? That is why we have to start from there.

By knowing ourselves, we can then make better choices that will bring us to the future that we want. Or maybe not. Once we make a decision, we can never know what would have happened if we had done something else. But because we choose knowing ourselves—knowing our values, principles, personality, likes, etc.—then we don't care so much about the other possibilities, because we know we did the right thing knowing who we are. And if we had the possibility to come back and choose again, we would do the same. Is that what it meant?
© Copyright 2024 Ayla (aftermid9ht at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321691-Know-yourself