*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321425-The-End-Of-An-Era
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Educational · #2321425
Pam throws a wrench into her high school graduation. 300 words
End Of An Era


“I can’t wait until this is over,” Pam whispered.

“It’s graduation, I think it’s made to be boring,” Lynn whispered back

Several gowned and capped people glared daggers at them. Stifling giggles, they subsided.

“Now, this year’s valedictorian will speak, Pam Lambert, join us on the stage,” announced the principal.

Pam dragged herself out of her chair and walked forward. She climbed the stairs and stood behind the podium. The assembled crowd and graduates gasped as she began:

“I don’t call this an honor, because I didn’t want it! I fought against it. I don’t like speeches, yet here I am expected to make one! So let the boredom begin!

“As an over-achiever, you are expected to trumpet it to everyone. It doesn’t matter that you did it from an extreme love of learning and an extreme hatred of boredom. Certain things are expected of you, one of which is vying to be valedictorian. But what if competition is one of the things that bore you?

“That said, I hand things back to the principal. Thanks.”

The room was silent. The principal quickly took over and proceeded with the scheduled program. Pam climbed off the stage and proceeded down the aisle and out the double doors of the gym. Lynn Michelle hurried after her.

“Aren’t you going to get your diploma?”

“They’ll mail it to my folks; it was more their dream than mine anyway.”

“What will you do now?”

“Catch a bus to anywhere and begin the life I want.”

“Which is?”

“To be a writer.”

Lynn started to laugh. Until she saw Pam’s face.

“You’re serious? Do you realize how hard it will be?”

“I can find a side hustle or two to help with rent and food.”

Lynn hugged Pam, then they parted.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321425-The-End-Of-An-Era