*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323726-Gardens
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2323726
Flash Fiction
Gardens

Walking in front yard to check my gardens. I didn’t have many out there, mostly bushes, but some. I didn’t check them as often as I should, because for some reason, I always end up with a neighbor showing up and wanting to talk. I was never very good at “friendly chatter” my husband was the talker, but since he’d passed away, I had to take over the job.

Of course there were weeds needing removal, I hadn’t been out for a week (probably more…) Taking a deep breath, I started plucking. Honestly, I only knew the weeds were weeds because the actual plant was much bigger. For all I knew I was plucking out new flowers. But I wanted to be done, and back in my house. I started with the gate area, knowing I’d be more hidden once I got back in the yard.

“Hello!” I heard after only five minutes. I cringed. Please not Eric Dale, he could talk for hours! I looked up, it was not Eric. It was a stranger to me, walking up with binoculars hanging around his neck. “Sorry!” he said, “I didn’t mean to startle you!”

“No problem,” I said, looking back to the weeds… hoping that was a hint…

“Wow!” he said, startling me again! “Look at that feather!”

I looked; I hadn’t seen it before. “I think it’s a…” frankly I forgot what he said, some bird name. “Can I walk your back yard and see if I can spot it?”

“I guess…” I said, at least he didn’t want to talk!

I never saw him again, but in the house, my purse was spilled open, and my money and credit card gone…

And that’s why my front yard has no gardens anymore. And you know… it was worth it…
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323726-Gardens