*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323788-Ghost
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #2323788
Sad short story
The light above me flickered as I watched him talk to a friend on the other side of the room. He was handsome, as handsome as a boy can be, with the way he smiled and laughed as he leaned against the bookshelf. It was enough to make any girl faint: his faded blue jeans, burgundy flannel shirt, and white undershirt that showcased his muscles perfectly.

I wanted to talk to him, to tell him how I felt about him, to say the things that had been building up inside me since our first years together in high school. But how could I? He would never love a girl like me – one who rubs her left arm when she's nervous, giggles shyly when someone she likes is talking to her, or dances like a dork when party rock music plays.

But he was standing there, with nothing stopping me from talking to him except fear and nervousness – and the fact that he was the hottest guy in school... But it was his birthday; he was happy, and even if he said no at least he'd let me down gently... right?

No more being scared; this might be my last chance to talk with him. He's going to college in a few weeks; this might be my last chance to see him... but would he even see me?

I walked towards him nervously, and he walked towards me with that cute schoolboy walk – the one that always distracted me and caused me to either walk into walls or trip over my own feet. We struggled to make our way through the other kids at the party; the room was full, but for a moment it seemed as if we were the only two there.

I stopped in front of him... but he didn't stop... He kept walking, unaware that he had just passed right through me. It felt strange and unsettling, having a living person walk through my... well, not quite my body – since I no longer have one. I've become something I never thought I'd be: a ghost.

No longer able to touch, smell, taste, or love... I never got to say goodbye or express my true feelings; now... I'll never have the chance. I'll never be able to ask him out or marry him or... I'll never be able to do the things I wanted to... now I'm stuck spending the rest of my life alone – as a ghost.
© Copyright 2024 Kile Johnson (kilejohnson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323788-Ghost