*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323809-No-Contact
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Lizzie
Rated: 13+ · Prose · Biographical · #2323809
A conversation between a mother and her daughter
"Mom, we need to talk."

"What's the matter? The kids okay?"

"This has nothing to with the kids. We need to talk about us, about when I was a kid."

"That again. What is it this time? What didn't I do for you that you think I should have?"

"Mom, I need to know why you were so distant, and why you thought beating me with a belt was the right way to raise me. You didn't do that to my brothers and sisters. I need to understand."

"You were different, difficult. You always thought you could push the envelope. I had to break you in order to get you to understand how the world works."

"Do you mean I was different because I was adopted?"

"Well, that and the people you came from weren't that upstanding. We gave you a good home and you flung it back in our face."

"Mom, I never flung anything back at you. I just couldn't take it, the way you treated me. I needed you to understand my differences and to be there for me. Instead, you made me feel unlovable."

"I always loved you."

"It never felt like it. And now, I see you beginning to treat my daughter with the same disrespect and disdain. I can't have that."

"Aren't you being a little melodramatic?"

"No, I don't think so. I couldn't stop you when I was growing up, but I can stop you from hurting her in the same way."

"So, what are you saying?"

"Mom, my husband and I have decided to go no contact with you. We would appreciate it if you stopped trying to come over. Don't call, write, or otherwise contact us."

"Now, I know you can't mean this..."

"Not only do we mean it, but we will file an order of protection if you violate our wishes. I have to protect my child, Mom. That's what a mother is supposed to do. What you failed to do."

"Fine, but your children are going to run all over you with that attitude."

"That's a chance I'm willing to take to see them grow up happy."



345 words
© Copyright 2024 Lizzie (lizzie2694 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323809-No-Contact