*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323912-Life-was-Good
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2323912
Flash Fiction
Life was Good

“You’re not listening.”

Andy looked up as his mother looked at him with that look. The look he knew very well considering he was only four. She must have started talking to him but he was working on building with his blocks, and so he didn’t hear her.

“What?” he said, his usual response in this circumstance. Also looking straight into her face because he had learned that if he doesn’t, she gets angry. He wasn’t sure why, looking didn’t seem to be connected to hearing but he knew there were things he didn’t understand just yet because he was still too young. He put that part in that category of growing up.

“I just asked you if you were ready,” she said.

“Ready?” Andy asked, a bit confused. He certainly didn’t remember anything.

“I see you got dressed like I told you to.”

“Yes, I did!”

“Well, there was a reason for you to get dressed, and in clean clothes.”

“Did I forget it?”

“No, because it’s a surprise!” Mom said.

Suddenly excited, but still not knowing why, Andy jumped up. “What?” he said, the blocks totally forgotten.

“We are going to the zoo!”

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” Andy said, now very excited, he loved the zoo.

“Because last time I told you, you got up at two in the morning and woke me and Dad up too, remember?”

“I was such a baby then!” Andy said, smiling.

“That was a month ago…” Mom added.

“I’m growing fast aren’t I!”

“That you are, and I am learning a lot too!” Mom said, jingling her keys, ready to go. And off they went.

Life was good.

© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323912-Life-was-Good