*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325181-The-Scary-Dark
by Akan
Rated: E · Fiction · Dark · #2325181
The night is here, and I am left to face it alone. Will I make it through?

Still as a mouse, I lay in bed facing the door, sweat pouring down my forehead despite the coolness of the night. My heart thumped loud in my ears, but not loud enough to block out the moaning of the wind which whipped the curtains away from my window. It was enough to send chills up my spine.
The dreaded yet inevitable night had closed in upon me with a curtain of darkness so thick that I could feel it in my bones. Perspiration beat down my forehead and my back until the clothes I had on and the bed sheets were soaking wet with sweat. I was very uncomfortable, but I dared not move. The darkness was watching me.
Suddenly, my hair stood on end. Goosebumps rose on my arms. I had a feeling that someone was behind me. As if to confirm this feeling, I heard the light tapping of feet across the floor. Someone was coming! And whoever it was was coming for me! My heart raced. My breathing rate increased until I was panting as if I had just run a marathon. I squeezed my eyes shut, not daring to look. Paws reached around me and grabbed me. I screamed.
"Meow" I turned around. "HUH??? What the...Alex! How on earth did you get up here?" Relief swept over me, but I also felt a little foolish. In my fit of fright, I hadn't realised that the monster of my dreams was actually my pet cat, Alex. "All's well that ends well," I thought. At least, I had a companion now.
Sitting up in bed and throwing the covers aside, I let Alex crawl into my lap and paw at my hand. The cool breeze blew in from my open window and dried the countless streaks of sweat on me. I was thankful Alex was here. His soft purring blocked out the lonely sound of the wind a little. Now that the worst was over, I had a mind to go back to sleep when I suddenly heard a creaking sound. I froze in place and my blood ran cold. The door slowly opened. My heart resumed its marathon race."Please don't come in here! Please don't!" I begged. Unheeding to my pleas, the creature behind the door let one foot in, then another and in came my mom.


© Copyright 2024 Akan (akan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325181-The-Scary-Dark