*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325546-Farewell-Lockwood-hill
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #2325546
Poem about my childhood home written after my elderly parents sold it.

Farewell my childhood home upon the hill.

You will never know how much I love you still.

A final time I travel your wooded lane.

sheltered by emerald and ebony boughs from silver rain.

At the ivory door I arrive and walk inside oh how the sweet memories flood my mind.

For in each empty dusty room I see, my family who means so much to me.
opening presents neath our ornamented tree, A fire glowing peacefully.

My parents sleeping in their chairs blissfully unaware, while their children danced to music free from all care.

The kitchen so warm and so fair, the perfume of long-ago cookies still scents the air.

The living room the last to greet me awakens a beautiful memory.

My sister bathed in sunshine, dressed in wedding white. The first to leave our nest first to take flight.

I glance about, I step outside to take in the meadow and hills so soft, so green, so wide and all the flowers in which my mother took such pride.

I see the wood so silent so old and remember walks from long ago.

Visions of journeys down the path to the quiet glade to pick wildflowers by a bubbling creak dappled with light and shade.

I step to the car where my husband awaits. The rain has vanished it's growing late.

A last look with tears flooding my eyes from my heart, I know it's time for me to sadly depart.

Goodbye forever sweet childhood home on the hill.

I pray your new family with love will fill,

Your rooms with sweet new memories and show you no ill.
© Copyright 2024 Lila Renee (pinklady55 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325546-Farewell-Lockwood-hill