*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326044-An-escapade-in-New-York
by Lee
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2326044
A inventor makes a revolutionary medical device demonic creatures try to take it
There are more paranormal activities in all of the heavens, and on the planet Earth: than can ever be dreamt up, in your own wildest imaginations!

Welcome: I have an unbelievable story that will chill your bones! It is the most inconceivable experience that’s ever happened to me!
On Christmas Eve; 1999; I Was walking on the snowy sidewalks of New York; when something grabbed at my icy body, and forced me into obscurity, from which I don't know how I escaped. It was a nocturnal vacation, with an eerie sensation that sent me on a hell-raising journey; and I came face to face with scary creatures, from all eternity!
My name is Daniel Perkin: I am a 40 years old; New York man, and inventor of the greatest medical device, in history. After the annual Christmas party, I found myself walking alone through the cold and snowy sidewalks, in the Big Apple. I was trying to get home to my wife Daisy, and children; Lyris and Apollo: as I was admiring the bright moonlight; while gazing up at the stars, a presence unaware to me watched my every move.
The icy chilly wind howled around every skyscraper, which forced me to feel uneasy; so I jumped quickly inside a van that had been abandoned in the street. After several minutes of sitting in the cold vehicle, creatures that looked like they'd escaped; from the depths of hell, grabbed at my icy body. These frightful desperados: surrounded the snowy vehicle, and forced me out into the most bizarre, and heart-gripping night of my entire life!
It made me reevaluate everything that I believed, and completely changed my values! The whole incredible experience: had certainly made me, find my true self!
Chapter Two
Ever since I was a child: technology had been all I ever thought about, and I would draw and write down all kinds of futuristic contraptions. I hoped that once I became an adult, my profession would be an inventor or scientist; so I could build extraordinary inventions of my own. My ethos had always been: to make the whole planet, a better place to live, for every human and animal.
Ten long years: my team of five hundred employees, and I have been working hard on constructing the very first medical device and bringing medicine into the twentieth century!
It was called: The Reforming device, which once initiated; scans the person's body, and mind; for any signs of illness and disease. Once the machine has imputed it's diagnosed results, in an instant. The Reforming Device uses a laser to blast away unhealthy germs and bacteria; thus making every man, woman, and child well on Earth forever!
That had been my theory for ten years, ever since I graduated from university; with a doctorate in science. My acting father had bought a large warehouse converted it into a laboratory, and employed 500 people from all corners of the beautiful planet.
At the beginning of 1999: my remarkable team were more like friends, than employees; had designed all the schematics and even built a prototype. I travelled the length of America: trying to get investors who would be interested in funding the construction of my incredible futuristic machine. However, every businessman or woman refused to touch it; saying the inventor was a crackpot, and it would render their good reputation and lose them vast sums of money!
I was about to give up on my dreams work a 9 to 5 job, and force all my workforce into redundancy!
Expect one day a government official visited my home address; with a monumental opportunity that gave me hope for the dawning of the twenty-first century! Now all I had to do was pitch my remarkable idea to the most powerful man in America: The president of the United States!
Chapter 3
had become extremely depressed and lost in my ideas: I would sit in my relaxing armchair; trying to think positively, by saying out loud,
"I HAVE NOT SPENT TEN YEARS OF HARD WORK; ON MY GREAT INVENTION; TO JUST GIVE UP, AND WORK FOR SOME FACELESS, MEDICAL RESEARCH COMPANY, SO GET A GRIP, FOR THERE IS ALWAYS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!
YET HOW CAN I EXPECT ANY RESPECTABLE INVESTORS TO HAVE ANY FAITH IN ME, AND MY TEAM; WHEN THE PERKIN FUTURE SCIENCE COMPANY: HAVE NEVER PRODUCED ONE SiNGLE WORKABLE INVENTION YET?
IT'S ONLY DUE TO MY ACTING FATHER: FOR HIS GENEROSITY IN RENTING THE DOWNTOWN LABORATORY. THERE I COULD SPEND EVERY HOUR INDULGING, IN MY WILDEST DREAMS!”
This was until Duncan Snape came knocking at our family home; near Madison Square Garden, on behalf of John Malkin: the president of America.
My website caught the eye of the fifty-first elected U.S. President; the commander and chief. The 45-year-old from San Francisco: could see its true potential. So the wise and friendly man sent out his top scientific advisor, to investigate it further. The official science advisor had come to question me: the inventor, to see whether the machine would truly stand up to all its wildest claims or fail miserably.
I gave an unplanned presentation on all my research; including a detailed demonstration of the Prototype. The South Carolina: 48-year-old black man was sitting on my blue sofa; when suddenly my old English sheepdog puppy: Peny; ran headlong into the living room and leapt onto the government official’s lap and my heart jumped into my mouth. I thought,
“Oh, Penny! What have you done? You are a little rascal! You've ruined my changes now for sure!”
Except this top scientific adviser suddenly burst out laughing and said,
“Animals and children: you can't take them anywhere eh!”
Mr Sharp then began to grill me with boundless amounts of questions, and started by saying,
"Good afternoon Daniel Perkin: please let me introduce myself; I am Duncan Snape; the president's top scientific advisor. President Malkin has become aware of your invention and is eager to hear all about this possible remarkable medical device. His policy has always been to help all American citizens: live healthily! The President believes that the pharmaceutical companies just feed off the public, by getting rich with their; placebo medication. He has always had the intention of helping the sick and ill in other ways; rather than shoving pills down our throats, and then never working.
So Mr. Perkin please tell me; can your machine do all these extraordinary things in medicine that you state on your website? Also aren't you concerned that it could harm the public, in some way? Could there be any after-effects? Of course, the million-dollar question is: how much will it cost the president, and the Republican Party, to construct, and what should we charge every citizen on Earth to purchase it?”
I smiled at this friendly government official, and explained to him, to the best of my ability,
"Welcome to my family home Mr. Sharp: I’m very pleased to make your acquaintance, and I am so excited that our president has the right attitude; regarding health care. My heart has always told me: that it's always been wrong to charge people: huge amounts of dollars: for a service that's uttally broken; and stuck in the dark ages. I wish to cure all ills: so that not just every American, but all men, women, and children; up on our glorious Earth can; live their lives happily without the worry of getting sick. I don't want people to waste vast amounts of hard-earned dollars, any longer; so we have designed a way to produce my; Reforming Device; for less than a fraction of the cost! Also, I make this promise to every citizen: I shall never add any hidden subscription or update charges, at any time! Just so my family and I can become richer!
My team have been working extremely hard for ten long years: on the calculations, and all the various components; we can say with absolute certainty, that my machine; when operational; will never harm, one single person! You can have faith in me, and my workforce's abilities, and if allowed; can change the world for the better, forever!"
The most experienced: scientific advisor of the modern world; took the last sip of his coffee and thanked my wife: Dasey, for the drink. Then he turned to me and said,
“Thank you very much for your precious time: Mr Perkin, I am aware of just how busy you are, and the president and I thank you! Mr Malkin will be swift in his response to this inquiry, and he has promised to give it 100% attention! John Malkin has also informed me that he will phone you personally; to inform you will be granted funding after he's considered if it's in the best interest of the American people. Please keep your mobile phone on at all times of the day and night: so you will not miss the president's call. I will bid you farewell and wish you every success in your grand project! It has been a delight to meet a man with such a vision for mankind, and the Earth; as yourself, and I hope the president gives you the precious funding you desperately seek! I look forward to the prospect of meeting you again, very soon in the Whitehouse; where we can evaluate the proposed important strategies; for the future of your machine, Mr Perkin!”
Mr Sharp took all my research and prototype: vowing to show it to John Malkin forthwith! He shook my hand and left my house, leaving me feeling excited, and optimistic; for the first time in years of having to delegate with endless business people! Now I just had to wait and hope the president would give me and my company, the green light; to not just change my family's lives, but every human on the planet Earth, at the start of the new millennium.
After weeks of long waiting, the president of the United States had his advisors place the call to me, and deliver his decision in person. On the evening of my daughter's eighth birthday; John Malkin telephoned me at home, while I read Sophie’s new book to her. I almost swore when I recognised the number; in excitement! I prepared myself to speak with the most powerful man in America and then answered my Nokia phone. I took a deep breath and said,
“Hello Mr President: it's an honour to be speaking with you, and thank you for taking the time to scrutinise my reforming device.”
I took another long and slow deep breath and felt ready to hear Mr Malkin’s decision. The last president of the 20th century spoke in his warm and happy tone of voice and said,
“Good evening Mr Perkin the honour is all mine! I will keep this belief for I don't want to disturb you from your little girl's birthday celebrations! I have gone over all your research implicitly and studied your remarkable prototype. I have had a lengthy meeting with Mr Sharp on the technology of your device, and if he believed it's completely harmless. I discussed with all the Republican party; if it was morally right to be using such a machine, and if the government and every man, woman and child could afford such a lavish piece of equipment.
Well, my government and I have made a decision, and you'll be happy to know; that we will be giving you the necessary funding to get your Reforming Device, up and running. I believe it's the next big step in the medical sector, so America should pave the way forward with such a groundbreaking invention. I am inviting you to the White House on the: 10th of February 2024; to formulate plans for the next steps, and to work out the most environmentally friendly materials to build it. We can also discuss how to launch: such a futuristic medical device onto the market; that will hopefully revolutionize humanity! I look forward to meeting you in person and a huge congratulations on such a groundbreaking achievement! Now go and have a double celebration, my friend! A car will be provided for you at 8 AM sharp to take you to the airport, and then another once you arrive in Washington DC. Goodbye for now Mr Perkin.”
“I switched off the biggest telephone conversation I'll ever likely have and ran up and down stairs, and all around my lovely home; shouting and cheering with delight. Daisy and my lovely children ran out of their bedrooms to discover all the noise. Once I'd calmed down: I explained to my wonderous family that the president had given my company the funds, and backing to launch my Reforming Device upon America and in time, the world.
Daisy and my beautiful children congratulated me and then they all gave me a huge embrace, for over ten minutes. They said,
“A massive congratulations Daddy Daniel: we're so happy for you! We love you so very much and are very excited for you that your dreams are finally coming true, you are the cleverest man in the whole world! We can't wait to see your device on the shelves in the electrical department stores very soon! We always knew you could do it, it is epic news.”
My family and I went to the living room; where I opened a bottle of champagne to make a toast to Sophie’s tenth birthday, and to my outstanding achievement. We let the children have a small glass to celebrate this wonderful day and then we all turned in for the night.
Daisey kissed me and then whispered gently in my ear,
“I knew you could do it my lovely inventing man! You are the smartest man I have ever met, I've always had faith in you! But please try to remember: don't let the government dictate how you want your machine to be built, and marketed! It's your invention so you have the last word, no powerful governing body can take over, and make you do anything you are not happy with. Try not to be bossy, but be assertive in all decision-making. I know you like to please everyone all of the time, but it's your ideas they are interested in; so don't be intimidated just because it's the president of the United States of America. Try not to worry about your business meeting with the president.: for you have the confidence to be one of the greatest inventors of the modern age! So go and show the world your huge heart, kindness, and of course your large knowledgeable brain. Whatever happens on the 10th of February, we love you always and forever, and we are so proud of you!”
I gave my gorgeous wife of eleven years a passionate kiss, and we made love for the rest of the night. We fell asleep in each other's arms and when the bright: New York sun shone; the heat made us stir, and then we awoke feeling a billion dollars.
Chapter Four
My family and I sat around the kitchen table: where Daisy explained to my children, the Sunday activities,
“Lyris and Apollo: my two exceptional children: today we will go to Grandma and Pop's house for a family celebration. Lyrics: your birthday presents from Dad's family will be there waiting for you. I know Uncle Clive can be full-on: but let's all have a great day together eh!”
We got ready and jumped in my dad's old Ford Cortina: to his house, which is located in the Bronx, and my brother; Clive; (who was five years younger than I, and a movie producer) arrived in a yellow cab, from Manhattan to my parent's home. They welcomed me with a huge embrace and lots of kisses from my mum: Jacki; who was a retired nurse. She had expressed her consent for my machine: as she desperately wanted to change the crippled health service, in the first place. She was the one who made the sparks in my brain ignite, and take shape to form: The Disgnostic Reforming Device. Dad; Colin: shook my hand and said,
"WELL MY KIDO: I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT! FOR YOU HAVE MY BRAINS AND YOUR MOTHERS HEART!" The sixty-five-year-old: retired; famous actor; then made a joke, by saying,
"NOW YOU CAN RETURN ALL THE MONEY THAT I PAID FOR YOUR Laboratory WHEN YOU BECOME RICH AND FAMOUS ! ! !" All my family, including my children, burst into hysterics; at the old New Yorker’s sense of humour.
In the evening: we all had a Chinese meal together, and then the next morning I drove home, we didn't need to rush back; for it was the kids' easter holiday. So we got up at ten and my mum had cooked the kids and Daisy a full English breakfast, but as I'm vegan, I had something else.
Once we'd finished and I'd washed up: I showed my parents and brother how far along I was, with my device. My wonderful family were mesmerized by all the remarkable medical things that the machine could help cure. Before we finally made a move to drive home: we had a lovely family photo and raised another glass of bubbly, to my daughter turning eight yesterday and me on the crisp of greatness, for which I couldn't have done it without all of them!
After we returned home: Daisy and the kids went to the cinema and then bowling, while I continued typing up on my laptop computer; what to say to the president, in a week.
The Easter holiday zoomed by and we all returned to the normal day-to-day of work and school.
I drove to my Lab: while preparing myself to tell my friendly workforce about my exceptional news,
"MY LOYAL AND HARD-WORKING FRIENDS: I HAVE THE GREATEST NEWS: WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE GREEN LIGHT TO BUILD MY DEVICE: FROM BELIEVE IT OR NOT; OUR PRESIDENT. AND SOME NEWS FOR ALL OF YOU.. IF WE COMPLETE THE MACHINES ON TIME: I WILL GIVE YOU ALL; A WELL-DESERVED LARGE BONUS!”
With that my entire employees went crazy: they danced, cheered, and gave me the bumps. They vowed to work even harder to bring my dreams to the table!
Chapter five
December had fast approached and my incredible staff and amazing family had been enjoying a great celebration, for we had constructed the unimaginable: my medical Reforming Device. we’d not only delivered the first working machine to: President Malkin; but shipped it around America, in time for Christmas. We all sat down for a: seven-course meal; cooked and served by the renowned, Chinese Brooklyn restaurant. After my workforce and family had finished their elegant meal: I addressed everyone; making a short speech before the party got into full swing,
"DISTINGWISHED GUESTS, AND MY EPIC FAMILY TOO! FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY SOUL, I SINCERELY THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU . . . YOU HAVE WORKED YOUR SOAKS OFF TO GET MY RADICAL MEDICAL DEVICE A REALITY. I'M ETERNILY GREATFUL. THIS MAD INVENTOR IS FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT! AND TO MY GORGEOUS DAISY, AND MY AWESOME AND PERFECT CHILDREN; LYRIS "N" APOLLO, PLUS MY PARENTS, IN-LAWS, AND NOT FORGETTING MY GREAT BROTHER: COLIN; I TRULY THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EMOTIONAL AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT. WITHOUT YOU ALL... ... MY DREAMS WOULD STILL BE IN MY HEAD. YOU MEAN MORE TO ME THAN THE EARNINGS WE SHALL MAKE FROM. THE SALES OF THIS INCREDIBLE. . . WORLD CHANGING INVENTION. NOW GO AND PARTY HARD. . . FOR YOU DESERVE IT. AND AFTER ALL, IT IS. . . 1999!!!"
With that speech done I went to the bar in the ballroom, on the top floor of my offices: I had a few bourbons, and then mingled with the staff. I thanked my family for attending; then while they went home, and my staff partied into the night, I made an important call to the President. I returned to my own spacious office: where I sat in my large red leather chair and proceeded to call John Malkin; before he signed off for Christmas.
Chapter six,
While I waited for President Malkin to phone: I sat relaxing in my chair and contemplated the great achievement my team had achieved. I hoped that my heath-busting machine will hopefully do what I'd envisioned; eradicate all illnesses and make the human race healthy forever. The notion had formed in my brain when I was just seven years old, and my brother had got very sick with meningitis; when he was just 11 years old, and almost didn't make it, now no one will have to go through the same heartache as my parents and I did back in 1984!
It was awesome that my parents had travelled from Stafford, in England, and went to live in, the United States. They wanted to find a better life for their children, and now, Colin and I were making them proud. It had been a very hard, but productive ten years, but now the future looked bright for my whole family. Before I could contemplate anything else: the hotline to the President rang; so I didn't keep the great man waiting, i picked up the landline receiver and spoke in my gentle, yet business voice,
"GOOD EVENING Mr. PRESEDENT: THANK YOU FOR TAKING MY CALL; AT SUCH A LATE HOUR OF 10:30 pm, WHEN YOU COULD BE WITH THE FIRST LADY, AND YOUR SWEET THREE-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER; ELINOR. I JUST WANT TO THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR YOUR GENEROSITY AND FOR HELPING FUND MY EPIC MEDICAL DEVICE, YOUR VITAL INPUT INTO GREEN Materials, AND THE MARKETING SIDE.
IT HAS MEANT THE WHOLE WORLD TO ME, AND MY FAMILY AND IT HAS FULFILLED A DESIRE TO HELP ALL MANKIND. MY FAMILY AND I ARE INDETTED TO YOU; FOR MAKING US COMFORTABLY WELL OFF.. BUT I DID NOT SET OUT TO ACOMPLISH MY DREAMS. BY THE PURSUIT OF MONEY! MY ETHOS HAS ALWAYS BEEN. . . LOOK OUT FOR YOUR FELLOW MAN. AND YOU WILL BE. ALWAYS REWARDED! I WOULD LIKE TO GO OVER THE OUTCOME OF OUR MEDICAL DEVICE, AND IF YOU ARE KIND ENOUGH. I HAVE IDEAS FOR FUTURE PROJECTS... ......"
John Malkin sat in the Oval Office of the: White House completely alone, and he felt his heart warm after hearing my glorious ideology. He wished all humans on our beautiful planet could be more like me, and said to me,
"Good evening Mr. Perkin: it's a pleasure to hear your voice again, and don't worry; for I spent the whole day with my family, and now Elinor is tucked up in bed. It is I who must thank you: for completing such a magnificent medical apparatus, and in a phenomenal time to assemble so many, in Just eleven months. Your philosophy has touched my heart, and if you could see me: then you would see me I have the biggest smile! What you said was priceless, and I know you're the individual to change all of mankind's greedy attitudes that we have all turned into! I am happy to confirm any future projects that you wish to invent: but please run all your blueprints through; my head scientific advisor first. I wish you, your family, and all your workforce: a very happy Christmas, and an exciting and wondrous new millennium!
Oh before I go: please allow me to give you a rendition; of an uplifting sentiment that my wife whispered in my ear. It was when I took office: as the 41st President; of the United States of America. I was feeling extremely anxious, and self-conscious: because at that time I lacked self-belief in myself, to lead the country. I can hear that in you: but I have every faith in your ability, and please remember this. . .
It is your time to shine. . . Your time to be brilliant, and your time to show the human race. . . that we can be as one! This is the little tune which was meant for me: but please immerse yourself in its positivity.... and I wish you every success; in your future endeavours!!!
"MR. PRESIDENT.. LISTEN WELL. FOR I KNOW... YOU'RE GOING TO ATCHIEVE WONDROUS THINGS. IN YOUR LIFE!. . . YOU'RE A GREAT MAN. WHO CAN ORGANISE YOURSELF? TO MAKE THE. . . WORLD A BETTER PLACE!
YOUR TIME IS NOW! SO HAVE FAITH IN YOUR ABILITY TO ACCOMPLISH ALL THAT YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO!
MY HANDSOME FIFTY FIRST PRESIDENT.. YOU HAVE FANTASISED. AND SEEN YOUR WILDEST DREAMS COME TRUE, NOW GO BE THE GREAT MAN I KNOW YOU ARE!"
John Malkin: said goodnight to me and then hung up the phone. I was about to get out of my padded relaxing chair, and go home to my lovely family; when I felt the five whiskies, I'd drank at the party, had gone straight to my gifted mind. I began to feel the world spinning. . . then everything went dark.
Chapter 7,
An arctic gust of wind: blew in through my office window, forcing me to open my eyelids rapidly. Thinking I was home in bed with my darling wife, Daisy: I discovered myself zonked out, upon my office workstation. Jumping up, I couldn't believe I'd stayed at my work all night: Daisy will surely dismember me for sure; for missing our lovely children going to sleep on Christmas Eve. Well, I had to rectify the situation: by jumping into my rented limousine; which my father had also paid for, as I'd never had the time to learn to drive. My head began to throb from the liquor last night, so I quickly sat back down in my comfy chair.
I moved my eyes upon the windows and happened to gaze out on the floor below, to see a horrendous blizzard that had struck: New York. Holy moly: what on earth am I to do now? I realised I had no conception of the time so I lifted my arm towards my face and gazed at my; ridiculously expensive 21st birthday present. That is my Rolex engraved 48-carat watch the thick black hands revealing it was 12:35 pm.
Thank goodness I hadn't missed my gorgeous Lyris and Apollo opening their Christmas presents: I still had time to get from my office; which was located ten minutes from Central Park. My driver could take me to my home: which was two miles to the West side of Manhattan, except my brain rapidly accepted the harsh truth. I knew my driver would be tucked up in his bed: on the other side of New York; near the Statue of Liberty, and I was utterly alone in my huge offices and laboratory; on Christmas Eve. Flip, flying, dot, com: as my dad said; when the World Wide Web was invented, and he hated it.
I sort my mind for a solution, except I was at a loss on how: I was meant to get home. I have a helicopter pilot who sometimes flies me to work meetings, but again she was fast asleep in her apartment, near the Brooklyn Bridge.
Well, I couldn't stay here all night: for Daisy; my gorgeous wife of 10 years would certainly never speak to me again, or miss another Christmas day because of work. The sweet, kind, caring, gorgeous supermodel; would most likely skin me alive, as not only is it Christmas day but our 10th wedding anniversary. We did indeed get married on: the 25th of December 1989; for Daisy thought it would be romantic in the winter weather. I secretly planned to take my lovely wife to a log cabin on New Year's Eve, for a week: that’s located in the beautiful Lake District; in England. She told me on many occasions that: she'd love to visit it one day. Oh and of course with the first sale of my machine, I bought her a new car: plus a Perl necklace, and earrings. So I had better get my ass into gear and go home, somehow! But surely I can't walk home two miles: in that weather; though what choice do I have?
I guessed that the most sensible idea was to bed down in my office and return home on Christmas Day before the family awoke, but when did children stay in bed on Christmas morning? I was also missing Daisy and didn’t want to upset her, so I decided: I’d walk down 30th Street, where Harris's offices and lab were located. I would arrive back at my apartment; near Madison Square Garden; just twenty minutes away, hoping not to wake my lovely family.
I walked over to my large closet: removed my suede jacket and boots, and headed to the beautifully decorated glass elevator. Pressing the button for the foyer, I prepared myself for the dangerous trek through the city at night. The door opened and I could see the ridiculously priced ornaments around the room and a long-coloured sofa that sat against the wall. As I stepped into the room my eyes span around uncontrollably, and nearly popped out of my head. I looked through the bulletproof windows and saw the weather conditions, were severely treacherous. It had been snowing for hours and the white stuff was covering every building. I collapsed to the marble floor and began to experience strong palpitations and all I could think of was,
“How am I going to get home to my family now? I must be stranded in my offices on Christmas Eve, for sure.”
Chapter eight,
I struggled for what seemed like an eternity: gripped to the marble floor in fear; however, I began to gain control: I pulled myself, to my feet and headed, for the building's double-thick glass doors. As I swiped my key card over the lock; the heavy doors swung open and a huge icy wind blew into the lobby. I stubbed aback; shocked at the sub-zero conditions on the street, and used the card once more to force them tightly shut.
I staggered towards the outrageously designed couch: and gathered my thoughts and feelings. As I regained my senses, I cursed myself at the top of my voice,
“Flipping heck man; what on earth do you think you bloody doing? You're a great ignoramus for opening those doors, let alone stepping out into the night, and walking home in that snowstorm. I am about to become: a multi-million-dollar famous inventor; anything could happen to me, while I am trudging the sidewalks of New York.”
I decided to walk over to the bar: on one side of the lavish entrance hall, to get a stiff drink of Bourbon. As I leaned on the black wooden bar and went to knock back my American whiskey; I quickly remembered my predicament and had to get home to my children, before Christmas morning. I said to myself,
“I had better man up and go out into the night; after all, it was only snow, so how intolerable could it surely be?”
So I put the untouched alcoholic drink on the bar and marched forth; back towards the large doors, and stepped out into the harsh conditions.
Chapter nine,
So I stopped thinking and forced my unwilling body out into the freezing city.
As I moved 1 foot in front of the other, I could feel the -20 temperatures freezing my lungs, which took my breath away. I pressed on down the pitch-black sidewalks to 30th Street, and then I felt a howling wind blow all around the enormous buildings. I felt so desperately alone and in fear for my life, so I decided to hide in an abandoned van. Opening the door to this broken-down vehicle, I suddenly pictured my loving and kind wife sitting in our beautiful little apartment, relaxing by the fire or tucked up in our king-size bed. Suddenly my senses felt like eyes behind me, watching my every move and all the hairs on my neck stood up like icicles. So I closed my eyes in utter fear, but then out of the darkness, some appreciation grabbed at my arms and legs and rushed me off down the street into oblivion. I was too afraid to look, but with all the severe weather conditions, I was unable to pull my eyelids ajar and glimpse at these abductors. However the smell of these lunatics had begun to make my stomach churn and I thought, "Just please let me go!"
A few minutes later I began to extract one eye open, to notice we had arrived at one most famous places in the city; Central Park. The snow looked deeper here when suddenly these monsters threw me to the ground and began to strip me. They rolled me over and over again until I became blue and was covered in snow and ice. From the tips of my fingers and down my legs, I had no sensations and began to wonder if I could suffer any more of this brutal attack. For the first time in my life, I was feeling true fear and couldn't figure out this despicable situation that I found myself in, and there seemed no escape.
Chapter ten,
These deranged savages ceased their aggression upon my innocent battered frame: leaving me to the bitter elements in, the middle of the beautiful deserted parkland. The wind continued to howl: making it feel chillier, and I knew I had to move if I were to survive and get home to my wonderful family.
With one eye ajar, I scanned the area closest to me for all those wicked captors; but at first, there was no sign of them. I tried to shift my icy body: but it was greatly restricted: due to the insane brutality that I'd suffered. Quickly an image formed in my mind: of Lyrics and Appolo opening their Christmas presents, without me. This gave me all the momentum I needed to escape and run home; so I managed to jump up and run a few feet, towards the south gate. Except that, all my senses abruptly received a shocking cascade of inhumane dins; heading my way. I quickly turned and saw: those foreboding, and dangerous undead servants of the devil.
As they marched forth, I noticed their hideous snarling mouths wide open and I witnessed their sharp fang teeth, ready to eat my flesh. I became even more fearful for my life, but instead of being paralyzed with fear, it resulted in me gaining the ability to run away faster. Except for the fact that these lifeless beings vanished and then rematerialised out of thin air, in front of me. The tallest who looked like the leader: stepped forward and gruelling horrendous tones that emerged from its ferocious mouth,
“HAY FUTURISTIC HEALER! WHERE ON THE EARTH DO YOU THINK YOUR RUNNING OFF TO EH? US DEAMONS HAVE NOT HAD ALL OUR FUN YET!
Oi' CHEMICAL BREATH AND PUTRID FACE BROTHER GRAB HIS WORTHLESS BODY OVER TO THE FIRE; WHERE WE WILL SACRIFICE HIM TO OUR LORD; SATIN.”
Before I could spring away I quickly received a sudden jolt, when an eerie-looking horse and carriage materialised from out of thin air and flew right over my head. My heart felt like it was being ripped through my chest. This unbelievable Phantom landed in the park and I could see the driver and more fear quickly overpowered my senses. I collapsed to my knees, for the hideous beast sitting in the black Stagecoach could only be described as a hellish zombie, wearing a dark hooded cloak. Quickly, I realised what images my brain was trying to conceive, it was death himself; the grim reaper. He had come for me on the most religious festival of the year. "Was this it?" I thought as I desperately tried to move, hoping to escape this insanity
I craved that this was just a toxic nightmare and would soon be awoken in the Harris offices, or at home with my wife and children. This thing from hell sat in front of me waiting for my next action.
Chapter eleven,
The kidnappers came, swiftly, de-robed picked up my icy body and moved back towards the enormous fire. I then saw their faces and they too were hounds of hell, but in human form. With no warning, I was pushed into the hot flames and began screaming for my life,
"Please let me go!"
These beasts made me dance and sing with them, they all had death in their eyes, lifeless figures, all of them, surely they must have ascended from hell? As I danced with these freaks I looked down at my cold, numb body, and couldn't tell whether I was alive or dead. Then the Grim Reaper whipped up his demonic horse and brought his evil wagon around towards my direction, strangely I began to sing the words that I had no comprehension from where they surfaced," I wish I was lying in my bed with pleasant dreams running through my head, but if I'm truly awake and dancing with the dead, for our lord's sake, please let me go!"
I could now see lightning bolts radiating from deaths, skeletal long fingers and I was exposed to this evil spirit's terror. I began to feel that If my time had come, I would be prepared for it, say my last goodbyes to everyone and then be merry and drink, saying a little prayer to it. However, my thoughts told me," Why should I let this gruesome fiend and his advocates attack my defenceless body and take me from my loved ones." I had to quickly run for my life, away from escaping these tyrants and re-emerge with my soulless body. I would either fight like a man or run to the hills, hoping I wouldn't be followed
Chapter Twelve,
Before I could defend myself, a colossal, white light engulfed, the entire park, and to my surprise, the evil had suddenly been vanquished by a mysterious force that had plunged it back to the void from which it had ascended.
I strangely felt stronger and could shift my stricken body and trudge back home to my family, except in my heart I had forgotten who had rescued my soul from the dancers of death. I scrambled to my feet and remembered my clothes were scattered all over Central Park, so I hunted for them and dressed quickly. Taking several deep breaths, I tried to discover a place where I could rest my body and mind, then the white light re-materialised and a messenger from God himself floated in mid-air. It was an angel with a tranquil smile, looking at me, as I sat on a park bench, trying to regain my strength. The angelic creature said.,"Please do not fear me for I am here to protect you from those beasts, I am just sorry I was a little late arriving but those devilish creatures did indeed unleash their rampage upon your mortal being! The evil one himself sought the knowledge of your invention, he wanted to use it to unleash a new upsurge in wickedness on your world. However, you have a strong and pure character that stopped your soul from being damned, so it was easy to liberate you, and save the human race at the same time."
I was in awe of this delightful entity, but couldn't find the words to say to her, then I realised I was sobbing into my hands. I felt a warm and calming sensation engulf my entire body. Then a moment later, I slowly moved from my seat and opened my arms to this wondrous creature. I looked into her angelic eyes and began to speak.," Thank you for showing your kindness and rescuing me from those devils, I am in your debt forever, however, could a simple man repay your humble kindness?" Please tell me what I should do. Should I destroy my machine before the evil can obtain it again?"
The angel beamed and said," I felt the human race couldn't be all bad after this individual showed a kind heart". She softly took my hands and whispered the answer I required, so I thanked her and promised to deliver the Lord's message to the world on this most incredible of days. I asked her, "Please thank God for my life and family"
Chapter Thirteenn,
walked slowly back to my apartment, which I'd been finding an escape to, throughout this whole horrible ordeal. I noticed at last the snow had begun to melt and normality was returning to the city, I loved. I had lost all notion of time and was sure Christmas morning had come and gone. But I remembered wearing my watch and glanced at its face, I felt a huge relief when it read 5:30 am. I was so positive that my captors had inflicted their horror upon me for days! 15 minutes later, I finally returned home, aching and exhausted, it was certainly an emotional reunion and held my two delightful children tightly in my arms and kissed them gently. When my wife had quizzed my disappearing behaviour, I explained all that occurred on this most eventful Christmas Eve of my entire life. I also explained what monumental plans the angel had told me God wanted me to convey to the world. They were mesmerised that I'd survived my ordeal and looked after me for the rest of the day. It was so fantastic to see my children and wife again, as well as opening their presents and enjoying a wonderful dinner. I spoke with Daisy all night long about what she conceived of God's plan. She just smiled and said.,"My darling Brandon the Lord gives us life and keeps one eye upon us, though he doesn't just choose anyone to carry out his most sacred ideas. You have to trust the lord knows best and share your whole incident with every man, woman and child on Earth. I am so proud of you and all that you've achieved and I know you're a man of goodness!"
I smiled at my wife and kissed her, then remembered my business partner, and began to worry about his reaction to the forthcoming strategy
Chapter fourteen,
I smiled at my wife and kissed her, then remembered my business partner, and began to worry about his reaction to the forthcoming strategy. I decided to fly to London to consult with James Pugh, to outline my proposals and get his approval. At first, his reaction was pessimistic and thought I'd seriously lost my head with the talk of supernatural activity. However, after three days of tough dialogue, my English friend finally accepted my aspirations for the greater good. The 45-year-old businessman granted me all his approval, but to keep him enlightened over crucial decision-making. Before I returned to New York and my family, I was indulged in an elegant banquet at a stylish London restaurant, although I was missing my children and throwing away, enormous, quantities of lavish sustenance, for no reason, besides, there was a vital engagement with the world's press I had to carry out! It was now time to disclose the most divine proposal for the Harris/Pugh enterprises to the world. I thanked James for the luxurious hospitality but declined and promised, I would contact him weekly, via telephone or Skype. We said goodbye for now and I headed for my hotel and packed my few items while ringing for a taxi to the airport.
Chapter fifteen,
Several hours later I was back in my own country and prepared for the most ambitious, television interview, and company proposal that I'd ever undertake. I emailed the chosen journalists I wanted to attend and not the brutal reporters looking for exclusives. I informed as many of our employees as where possible to assemble at my offices at 11:35 am on Tuesday 30th of November 2000. I assured everyone of the biggest announcement in the company's history.
After I landed at JFK Airport my limo driver, was waiting for me and then it would be another 40-minute minute of the journey from Newark to 5th Avenue. I sat in my large vehicle and thought about him and the whole unreal ordeal and what reaction everyone would have. I was not worried about 0the outcome because I was doing God's work, and knew in my heart this was the greatest undertaking of any time.
I arrived twenty minutes before the grand unveiling and had enough time to relax and I prepared myself for the onslaught of flash photography, and endless questions. I was back where the entire incident had started from and I stood on the sidewalk in astonishment at my courage at those devilish oppressors and why they and the lord had bestowed their existence upon me.
The TV crews and journalists had quickly begun to gather in the lobby of my offices awaiting my announcement. I began to explain what had transpired on this eventful Christmas Eve, and what the divine angel had told me. I could hear the crowd responding to my account, a few laughed at the absurd notion of creatures from heaven and hell, but most were intrigued at how a rich and famous inventor had survived the mean streets of the Big Apple and what lavish revelations I was about to bestow upon them? I thanked everyone for attending and vowed not to keep them for too long, I swallowed some water to clear my throat and began.
"Friends I urge you to listen well for I have been asked by God himself to invest 90% of my profits from my medical device, and with the help of citizens around the globe who find themselves out of work or homeless, can build new futuristic houses in every city on the Earth. These will not be made for those who are rich and famous, but for those less fortunate, this includes all the people who helped build these houses of the future! The homeless and out of work will have first refusal and then they will automatically have future employment with Harris/Pugh industries forever.
Once I had finished my speech, I received a standing ovation and the crowd went wild, they clapped at the Lord's most sacred plan and hoped I could articulate the greatest venture ever! Once the assembled people had vacated the building, I vowed to myself to carry out God's wishes to the best of my ability and as soon as physically as possible. Before I got started I decided to return home and be with my family until the new year. I flew back to 30th street, in my helicopter and at that moment I decided to declare to myself; that I would never go dancing with any phantoms anymore until I danced with the dead.
© Copyright 2024 Lee (kinglee23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326044-An-escapade-in-New-York