*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031150-Working-From-Home-The-Last-Two-Weeks
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1031150 added April 21, 2022 at 9:22pm
Restrictions: None
Working From Home The Last Two Weeks
Locale: Bloomington, Illinois

Week of: April 11, 2022 & April 18, 2022

         I've been at home the last two weeks due to the customers delaying scheduled classes.  I was supposed to be in San Diego last week, but they delayed that class about 6 weeks ago.  I was to be in Washington DC this week, but at the last minute the customer realized that the people who needed to attend the class were not available.  This class is now scheduled for delivery in October.  It will remain on my schedule because I'm the only one who can teach one of the pieces of equipment they want to know about.

         I have spent my time improving the Fleetmapping course I started delivering two years ago.  You probably wonder, "You have to improve the course curriculum?  Why isn't it perfect already?"  The answer is easy.  First, I had to learn quite a bit about two pieces of equipment that is covered in this class, but I also had to learn how to deliver this class!  Secondly, the course had been delivered by contractors all along, but they balked at teaching it online.  So, my manager came to me and asked me if I could do it.  Naturally my reply was, "Yes!"  But the course materials had a lot of issues.  There were a few places where system capacities were quoted, and they were wrong.  About 10 years wrong.  What I really mean is, the system capacities listed were based on a much older system.  Thirdly, the Powerpoint slides had the AWFUL colors.  Bright, slap-you-in-the-face type of bright colors.  IT hurt my eyes to look at them.  So, I read the referenced manualsa and re-wrote the course.  I had it done well enough to present the class, but realized it could be better.  It's been a constant process of teaching, learing more about the subjects, andimproving the course materials.

         I also reviewed a course a co-worker shared with me.  It's one him and I both deliver, along with a couple of other instructors.  Let's just say that my friend is not a writer.  He uses what I call the 'Shotgun approach' in writing.  He would start on one topic, stray off to a second, possibly a third, before returning to the original topic.  Plus, he doesn't have much knowledge in Powerpoint, his slides could stand a bit of formatting.  It's okay though, his knowledge is sound, he just needs to learn how to edit a course so its presented in a logical manner.  His knowledge is sound, he knows far more about this stuff than I do.  He's the one I turn to when I have a question because I know I'll get the correct answer from him.  *Smile*

         My schedule for the foreseeable future has not changed. Anything less than 45 days away does not usually change, but hey, the customer canceled/delayed my Washington DC class just 13 days prior to the class starting.  So the 45 day thing is not set in stone.  As of now, other than mandatory weeks off (2), vacation (4), and holiday weeks (5}, my schedule is now full the rest of the year!  I do expect a lot of changes though, but my schedule will stay full.  For the next couple of months, I wil be in:

4/25:  Port Of Los Angeles.  I'm still hoping to meet Annette in France , Jeff , Schnujo's in Alabama , and QueenOwl ~ A New Day Dawns while there.  Getting the four of them free on the same evening or an early Saturday morning is easier said than done.  If we do get together, I will be sure to snap a photo or two, and probably make one into a Trinket with their permission.
5/2:  Fort Lauderdale
5/9:  Vacation
5/16: Schaumburg Illinois
5/23: Teach from home for the USAF Base in Yokota Japan.  Another week of teaching 7 pm to midnight.
5/30: Memorial Day week.  Online meetings with my co-workers.
6/6:  Fort Lauderdale
6/13: Fort Lauderdale
6/20: Teach from home
6/27: Teach from home
7/4:  Independance Day week, no delivery for most, including me.

         May and June are probably pretty well set, but standby for changes!  As of now, I have trips scheduled in Kansas, Indiana, Los Angeles (again), but LA County this time, New Jersey, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, and two additional weeks in Fort Lauderdale.  We'll see what happens with this, huh!


In Closing

         I will be in Los Angeles next week, followed by a week in Fort Lauderdale.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell


Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2022 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031150-Working-From-Home-The-Last-Two-Weeks