*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073900-Meditation-and-Ministry
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1073900 added July 13, 2024 at 11:36am
Restrictions: None
Meditation and Ministry
For the last three days, I've been learning how to meditate. Letting go of all thought is not an easy thing to do, but from all accounts, it's a very good way to relax and maintain both physical and mental health. So far, I've done ten-minute sessions, and although it is a bit early to notice any significant changes, I do feel happier than I have in the previous week. That being said...

In the late 80s, before my departure to dance music and culture, I was into punk, hardcore and metal. One band in particular I liked was called Ministry, of 'Jesus Built My Hotrod' fame. Link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI&pp=ygUVamVzdXMgYnVpbHQgbXkgaG90cm9k

If you were to listen to the above-mentioned track, you might think it isn't exactly meditation music, and you would be correct in this assumption. But, there is a connection. My neighbours are quite ignorant. He is the guy who thought it was a good idea to get physical and shove me in the chest a couple of months ago, and in the following minutes, learned that it wasn't such a good idea after all. He was drunk, and once I established a pecking order of sorts, we slowly fell into a new normal of me smiling and waving every time I saw him, and him not quite knowing what to make of my overt friendliness.

Not holding onto grudges is easy when you are the one who gains the upper hand. But the way I see it, I couldn't be bothered with petty gripes...especially considering he lives next door and the awesome training sessions I did in the following days and weeks because of his actions. When I first moved into the complex, he helped me settle in and because of this, I eventually forgave him and genuinely let go of the incident.

However, every now and then, some people need to be taught about manners and etiquette. My neighbour has a Thai girlfriend, who it appears, has a lot of friends who are deaf. I know this because whenever she's on the phone, which is a lot (no doubt having a partner who doesn't speak your language facilitates this need to loudly converse with people other than him, all day every day), she yells at them so they can hear her. The funny thing is that he does the same whenever he is on the phone. I wouldn't mind so much if the walls were thicker.

Then last night they had friends around for drinks. Now, you could be forgiven for thinking I am one of those sadsack neighbours, who don't have any friends, and because of this, don't want anyone to have any fun (and you would be right), but an invitation would have averted two things. Firstly, he is Danish and there were no Danes or any English-speaking people at the shindig, so at least he would have had someone to talk to. And tonight when they kicked off again, I would have been less inclined to introduce them to my favourite 90s metal bands Ministry, Faith No More and Pantera being played at midrange (always resist the temptation to at first go full tilt, leaving something in reserve...just in case) volume on my JBL Xtreme3 speaker.

I'm only dulling and matching their noise and there is no vindictiveness involved (well, maybe a little). But three days of meditation have calmed my usual response...which would see me marching over there and quietly (but firmly) explaining what is acceptable behaviour and what is not.

Earlier, I overheard them mention they have to be up at 5.30 am tomorrow. Perhaps I'll make a point and drop it at that. And if they see the error of their ways, I'll then retire to my bedroom and do my evening meditation session in beautiful silence.

© Copyright 2024 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073900-Meditation-and-Ministry