*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075157-RoE-D4-Pt-3
Rated: GC · Book · Detective · #2306086
There is a serial killer loose and only cooperation will bring the culprit to justice.
#1075157 added August 12, 2024 at 1:48pm
Restrictions: None
RoE D4 Pt 3

RoE Draft 4 Pt 3

Kristin went back to the room and grabbed her boots and jacket. The crumpled note and bloody cellphone fell to the floor. She picked them up carefully with Darrel’s ratty T-shirt that was also splattered with blood. The note was on a company stationery and had a number 4 on one side and an infinity symbol with a lipstick print on the other. She took all the items back to the living room.

“I think I have Rick’s cell phone.”

Mitch took all the items from her with a plastic bag over his hand. He put each item in a separate plastic bag before examining them.

“This note is interesting. You can tell it is from company stationery even though it doesn’t have any logo stamped on it.” said Mitch. “I’ve got some friends that might be able to tell us more.”

Dean looked at the phone. “I don’t know what we can get out of this but if I tinker with it some, I might be able to retrieve a bit of data.”

“In any case we need to get moving,” said Darrel.

“I stick out in town,” said Tyrel, “and so does the van.”

“We can walk from the dirt road that cuts off about a mile outside the Pointe,” said Kristin. “It is not that far from my house. You can drop the boys in Bixby on the way there.”

Kristin was thankful for the light traffic. She and Darrel walked as though out for a normal stroll, holding hands and walking at a moderate pace. They ducked up the driveway at Kristin’s colonial and she used her key on the back door.

The two-story colonial that Kristin lived in was not that far away from Rick’s. Her mother, Constance Fisher, lived there but she was a workaholic lawyer and a cocaine addict. Constance frequently disappeared for days at a time and recently lost her job with the firm. Kristin’s great aunt, Linda Shelby, had taken them in and assume custody of Kristin. Linda was independently wealthy and belonged to many of the charitable committees and societies Of Carrol County. Neither Constance nor Linda appeared to be home.

“Why don’t you grab some things from the kitchen that they boys may not think of,” said Kristin, “And I’ll grab my things.”

“Good idea,” said Darrel. “I know they aren’t going to think of getting a few of the standard things.”

Kristin went to her room, packing a small duffle bag with some clothes and feminine items. She went to the computer and pulled up the local newspapers. There wasn’t anything yet on Rick Hall, but she found out about the other deaths.

Our town was devastated when the body of local resident, Randy Simmons, was discovered in his family cabin on Summerson Lake. Local police have no leads at this time.

Kristin thought she heard the big front door open and shut. She waited, but there were no other sounds. She went back to the job at hand. She found two more articles involving deaths in Waterton....

The body of Charles Cross was thrown from a car on Highway 36. His body was left in a similar condition to that of Randy Simmons. Though outside law enforcement has been called in, local police report that any relation between the two deaths is purely coincidental.

There one final death in Waterton....

Julie Norton, 17, was discovered stuffed in a shed on Red Nipper Bay with her French poodle, the victim of yet another attack in our sleepy burg. Federal authorities have been called in but they have no comment on the possibility of a serial killer in our midst.

Kristin printed the articles and one she had found on a local boy named Timothy Karson. `She stuffed the articles in her bag and headed down the stairs. Darrel stopped her.

“Kristin freeze,” he said in a hushed voice. He was hiding just out of sight in the kitchen. He pointed at the front door.

Kristin crouched down on the landing and looked. Her aunt Linda was talking to someone through the narrow opening as she held it firmly in place with her shoulder and foot.

“I’m sorry officer but I have been gone all day. I have no idea where my niece or her daughter could be. There are times when my niece disappears for days at a time.”

“We checked for Mrs. Fisher at her office, and they said she was let go several days ago.”

“I have no idea about that. If anything was to happen to Kristin, they would contact me.”

“That’s why I’m here, Ma’am, we need to speak with Kristin.” The officer’s cellphone rang. “Yeah, it’s Don. Okay yeah. I’m off work in a few minutes. Okay see you there.”

“I’d hate to hold you up,” said Linda.

“If you hear from Ms. Fisher or her daughter please call the station.”

“Of course. Have a blessed night.” As Linda shut the door, Kristin tried to tiptoe her way to the kitchen.



unfinished
© Copyright 2024 Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075157-RoE-D4-Pt-3