*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076123-RoE-D4-Pt-9
Rated: GC · Book · Detective · #2306086
There is a serial killer loose and only cooperation will bring the culprit to justice.
#1076123 added September 2, 2024 at 6:14pm
Restrictions: None
RoE D4 Pt 9


RoE D4 Pt9

Kristin walked sleepily to the kitchen. The only one in sight was Shawn.

“Where are the others?”

“Over in the living room playing video games.”

Kristin scratched her hair and sighed as she sat at the table.

“You know,” said Shawn, “I bet you would feel a lot better if you got cleaned up.”

“What am I supposed to do? I’ve been bird bathing it in the sink. The shower isn’t hooked up. I tried it.”

“Come on, I’ve got something to show you.”

Kristin followed Shawn out to the little shop next door. He picked up a blue rock with a fake bottom and pulled out a key. “You’re going to love this.”

Shawn unlocked the door and hit a switch on the wall. There was a hot tub with a huge fountain waterfall filling it.

“Why didn’t Darrel tell me about this?”

“He thought he would lose you if you knew that Mitch is rich. It’s been Mitch’s money that’s been keeping us more than comfortable.”

“Darry’s crazy. Does he really think that I’m that shallow?”

“Sort of, at first. Then he was afraid you’d be mad that he kept things from you,” said Shawn.

“He did but maybe I understand. He knows I come from means. I’ve learned that money can’t buy happiness. There are better things worth fighting for than material possessions.”

“I think Darrel would like to know that.”

“I do now.” Darrel was standing in the doorway.

“It’s all the truth. Being with you guys has given me more than money could ever buy.”

“I’ll let you show her how everything works,” said Shawn.

“I’ll have to do it later. Dinner’s ready.”

Shawn shut the door, locked up, and ran back to the house.

Darrel and Kirstin were walking back slowly.

Kristin stopped. “Did you see that?”

“See what?”

“I thought I saw the red hoodie peeking around the corner.”

“I don’t see anything.”

“It just makes me feel creepy, like he’s watching me.”

“It’ll be okay, Kristin. You’ve got all of us here.”

By the time Darrel and Kristin reached the kitchen the others had already eaten. Kristin grabbed a small piece of ham and some of the steamed vegetables, picking out the carrots. She passed on the mashed potatoes as well.

Darrel’s own plate was heaping. “After we eat you want to check out the hot tub?”

“I really should go through the news clippings and such that we’ve gathered.”

Kristin left her plate almost untouched as they went to the living room to watch the news....

In Local news. There are now three dead teens in the rural area of Crescent Pointe. First it was fifteen year old autisitic Timothy Karson. Eighteen year old Rick Hall was found on the Heilman High School football field last week. Now seventeen year old Mary Cartwright was found slain in her living room. Federal and state authorities still deny rumors of a serial killer saying there is no real connection between the murders. However, federal authorities do promise that a possible description of the assailants may be forthcoming. In other news......



Mitch got up and shut the TV off and turned on the radio.

“Are you done yet?” asked Darrel. “I could use a good soak.”

© Copyright 2024 Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076123-RoE-D4-Pt-9