*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/275900-Why-do-we-state-the-obvious
by Zaring
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #809654
A journal for my life. Inspired by Wannabe's DWC.
#275900 added March 6, 2004 at 2:05pm
Restrictions: None
Why do we state the obvious?
I’m starting to see these patterns that we as humans have.

Like commenting on the obvious for no real reason, other than just to be saying something. (Perhaps this is were Jeff Foxworthy and his buddy came up with “Here’s your sign.”)

For instance: When I arrived at work, it was like 25 degrees outside. (Yes even in Texas, it occasionally gets cold). I ran up to the door and upon entering the store, I looked at my cashier and the first words out of my mouth were "Damn its cold out there!"

He looked at me and said "Yeah, like I haven’t heard that a few times tonight Gina!" (it was 5:00am, but he’d been there all night)

I thought to myself, He probably has heard that a few times. But it’s the big topic! Geeze, it’s 25 degrees in Texas. It’s just not the norm! I don’t care if it is winter.

I told him I was sorry for stating the obvious and then proceeded to get some coffee and head to my office.

Several hours later, Officer Butler (The motorcycle cop) came in to get warmed up. By now, I had been talking to the customers for a while. One cashier had left, another came in.

We were all pretty sick and tired of hearing about the temperature at this point!

As Officer Butler stood there talking, I realized that he and my cashier were making bets about people coming through the door. Who would? Who wouldn’t?

I stepped back to observe what they were talking about. My cashier saw a gentleman about to enter the store. He says to the cop "That one will! Bet me!" The cop didn’t acknowledge his bet. The customer came in, made his purchase and left. (He wasn’t a real talkative chap) Then another customer entered the store and immediately pointed at the motorcycle located at the front door and said "Man, you gotta be cold." The officer just said, "Nope...not at all!"

The customer was speechless. The cop just stood there expressionless behind his dark sunglasses and the cashier was holding in a major belly laugh. As soon as the customer left, the cashier looked at the cop and said "You gotta give me credit for that one! I was one off." They both rolled laughing!

Yes, we do tend to state the obvious. Why is that? Why not look at the cashier and say good morning. Why not look at the cop and simply say...sorry?

Yeah, but if everybody thought before they spoke I wouldn’t have anything to write about!
© Copyright 2004 Zaring (UN: ginafry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Zaring has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/275900-Why-do-we-state-the-obvious