*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/382842-Falling
Rated: E · Book · Teen · #1025510
A young girl caves in to peer pressure, and finds herself in a near-death situation.
#382842 added October 31, 2005 at 12:21pm
Restrictions: None
Falling....
The forest didn't grow anymore welcoming the further i went in;in fact, it seemed to be doing its best to repel me. The darkness grew thicker, consuming everything in its path. The diseased and withering trees grew taller and hung over the forest omniously, branches like claws waiting to reach out and grab me. Twigs and leaves crunched beneath my feet, and all around i could hear the scuttling of little feet, creatures lurking in the darkness, feel their eyes watching me, waiting for me, until i got to the centre of the forest where suddenly a huge gaping hole would appear in the ground and the trees would all start moving towards me in a zombie like fashion...
Ok, calm down. Just keep breathing, its just my imagination trying to scare me. But it wasn't exactly hard. Not in a place like this.
I'd been walking for about an hour, and i knew i must be close-closer than i thought as it turned out, as the forest parted to reveal a small and dense clearing. Still the darkness consumed, still i could feel their eyes constantly watching me, but atleast i had made it this far without actually screaming. Rising out of the shadows before me stood Hangmans Hut. The old wooden shack, now rotting and falling down with black windows like gaping mouths instantly conjured images of bodies swinging from tree branches, limp and lifeless. I tried to push the image from my head, as taking a deep breath i slowly took a step towards the hut. I stood, waiting for something to jump out and grab me from behind.
But nothing did.
Breathing shakily, and keeping both eyes on the hut, as if to block out the rest of the forest, I took another step forward. And another. And another.
I was there-stood at the door to Hangmans Hut. Up close i could see the splinters in the wooden door, smell the decaying of the place. The wind rushed through the trees, and almost sounded like a voice-'don't do it, turn back now!' But i had come so far, i couldn't not knock on the door-the thought of all those girls laughing at me was too much to bare.
I reached out my hand-an owl screeched-i took one last step towards the hut....and screamed as the earth gave way beneath my feet and the forest disappeared into nothingness.
© Copyright 2005 Scarlet101 (UN: scarlet101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlet101 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/382842-Falling