*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/404527-But-I-want-to-save-the-world
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#404527 added February 4, 2006 at 11:17am
Restrictions: None
But I want to save the world!
This is a continuation of yesterday’s entry, because partyof5dj left a comment that gave me an idea I wanted to explore further. In case you haven’t read it, here’s part of what he wrote:

I'd never thought this way until about a year ago when my brother shared some experiences he had with a co-worker. My brother, Jeff, would throw out little spiritual tidbits all the time for his colleague's benefit, but all he got in return was ridicule. In fact, it basically gave this co-worker fuel to mock God more than he would have otherwise, so Jeff finally let go.

Jeff told me that he was actually doing a disservice to God by persisting where there was so much resistance, and, if anything, was moving his co-worker farther away.


This reminded me of what two people in my Disciple class are struggling with right now.

Kevin has a coworker who doesn’t believe in God. In fact, he has said more than once, “How can there be a God when so many terrible things happen to good people?”

Kevin wants his coworker to at least consider the possibility of God, but he knows he treads a fine line. He doesn’t want to make the mistake of pushing his friend away instead.

Carol is going through something similar with her sister-in-law. She is suffering from a progressive, painful and debilitating disease that forced her into a wheel chair (I don’t recall what at the moment). Her bitterness is understandable, but Carol can’t seem to get through to her sister-in-law that she has much to be grateful for.

Carol is the perfect person to say these things, because she has Multiple Sclerosis and has been unable to walk for years herself.

As Carol told of her concerns, I was reminded of the book “Joel” by Joel Sonnenberg. This is the editorial by Publishers Weekly as listed on Amazon.com:

The victim of a horrendous car accident, the now 26-year-old Joel Sonnenberg always wanted to be a musician, but without hands, or even lips, what could he possibly play? Sonnenberg eventually realized his instrument was his voice. On September 15, 1979, en route to Maine, the Sonnenbergs' family car was rear-ended by an 18-wheeler. When a rescuer pulled the 22-month-old Sonnenberg from the wreckage, burns covered 85% of his smoldering body. With little hope, emergency workers transported Sonnenberg to the Shriners Burn Institute in Boston where he quickly lost his fingers, toes, lips, ears and nose. However tragic his story, Sonnenberg's recounting of his young life resounds in hope as he takes every opportunity to speak about how God has given him the courage to succeed. He is an enthusiastic storyteller, wanting to communicate not only his sorrows, but also his achievements, which are considerable. Sonnenberg credits his own optimism and his family's strong support with helping him earn his Eagle Scout award, serve as his high school's student body president, get elected Citizen of the Year for western South Carolina and carry the Olympic torch. A graduate of Taylor University, Sonnenberg continues to use his voice, and his experiences, to speak regularly across the country of his remarkable life and unshakable faith.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved


I gave the book to Carol which she’s reading now in the hope it will open her sister-in-law's heart to God and she’ll be able to finally release her bitterness, because by comparison, Joel has suffered worse than any of us can imagine. But his faith is so strong, Joel believes his pain and disfigurements has been God’s greatest gift.

Going back to the quote I added from the Spiritual Newsletter about knowing when to speak or to remain silent. We’re called to be like Jesus and spread the Good News, but Jesus had a distinct advantage. He already knew the heart and mind of every person he came into contact with, thereby knowing without saying a word whether a person would be receptive or not. He also knew exactly what to say when a heart was open.

We don’t have that, spending most of our time hoping we’re doing the right thing at the right time.

There’s no easy, pat solution to if and when we approach someone about God. All we can do is to pray about it constantly and allow the Spirit to work through us and to tell us when the time is right to speak – if at all.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/404527-But-I-want-to-save-the-world