*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/487748-Prologue
by Nahald
Rated: 18+ · Book · Psychology · #1217289
My number is 9423. I’m not a hero...
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#487748 added February 14, 2007 at 10:54am
Restrictions: None
Prologue
The Committee was in session. We ringed a table made of some awesome, most likely extinct, tree.
It was dark as always, I’ve never been sure why the lights were kept down when we’re on record.
It’s just the way it’s always been, tradition. It made it harder to see the other’s reactions, so maybe it was to help us stay diplomatic.
I think it’s because I’m surrounded by drama queens.
I continued my argument; “You’re acting like this is war and we’re fighting some faceless enemy, not the people we have a duty to protect. You’re turning blood into gold and when they fight back you’re surprised. They’re not our play things to do with as we see fit…” Mr. Keene stopped me.
“I don’t understand what it is you want from us. Bring down the Wall? Just let  anyone walk in here? It would destroy every thing we’ve worked for. And what of your daughter? Do you want her exposed to that kind of thing?” He said it as though anyone with the bad luck to be born on the outside of the Gold Wall inherently carried the Plague.
“Would that be so bad?” I shot back, too annoyed to plan my response. The protests rang throughout the halls, I’m sure they were heard for ten miles ’round.
If only they knew, if those before us hadn’t build the Wall to hide behind until the world goes away.
I’ve seen what its like out there, the pain as parents watch their children who have problems that my daughter would never know, that no one should have.
The way the few who make something of them selves look down those who are as they were.  The me and mine only mentality, has it always been like this?
Is it here to stay? 
I put my life at risk with outbursts like that, it seems at times I can’t help it, but I never try to take them back. If I did, if I didn’t fight for what I believe in, how could I ever look into my daughter’s beautiful blue eyes again?                       
This is the world of The City. There are two kinds of people who live here, those inside the Gold Wall and those outside of it. Inside is a paradise ruled by 6 men called collectively the Committee. I’m one them. My name is Martin and this is not my story, but it is mine to tell.



When ever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and relect ~ Mark Twian


When ever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and relect ~ Mark Twian
© Copyright 2007 Nahald (UN: nahaldnin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Nahald has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/487748-Prologue