*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591925-God-has-a-sense-of-humor
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#591925 added June 19, 2008 at 11:53am
Restrictions: None
God has a sense of humor
Istijlál (Majesty), 15 Nur (Light), 165 B.E. – Thursday, June 19, 2008 about 8:06 AM PDT

God speaks to us, which doesn't appear to have much in common with God having a sense of humor; but stick with me on this for a few minutes. God spoke to me yesterday and today. Not though the sacred scriptures, which is one way the Divine Essences speaks to humanity; God spoke to me through the writing.com Spiritual Newsletter and a religious pamphlet left at my door yesterday.

Both of these had to do with suffering. The writing.com newsletter didn't mention suffering specifically, however it did cover the subject. The pamphlet was called All Suffering SOON TO END! I realized as I read the newsletter this morning, that God was speaking to me. I have gone through a lot of suffering within the past year or so, I'm still going through it, but to a lesser degree.

The writing.com newsletter included a quote, which deals with suffering. The faces along the bar of life belong to people looking for solace in their pain, longing for friendship in their loneliness, hoping for joy in the midst of their disappointments. They need a smile, a touch, a message of encouragement. ~~Stuart Briscoe We all need encouragement when we suffer. Encouragement doesn't relieve suffering, but it helps an individual deal with the pain and the fear of suffering. The editor of the newsletter pointed out that we withdraw into our "caves" and isolate ourselves during emotional suffering.

Inside our "caves" the only encouragement we can find is through the sacred scriptures and other writings. While these are good places to find encouragement, sometimes the encouragement we need comes through contact with other human beings. We have to be out of our "caves" to receive direct encouragement from others.

As to the pamphlet, I don't believe all suffering will end any more then I believe physical death will come to an end (both ideas were suggested by the pamphlet). Suffering is a part of the human condition, without suffering the soul would not acquire virtues. Virtues are the soul's clothing in the next world, when the body dies then the souls moves into the world of the spirit a place the physical human body can't go.

When someone talks about the end of suffering, I think about the following quotes.

However, those souls who have lived many years and have acquired much experience and have weathered many severe winters realize that in order to enjoy the coming spring they must pass through the cold of winter. (Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 116)


Men who suffer not, attain no perfection. The plant most pruned by the gardeners is that one which, when the summer comes, will have the most beautiful blossoms and the most abundant fruit. (Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 50)


I don't think suffering or death will end, they will be redefined, but they won't end. And what does this have to do with God's sense of humor? I have found that when I'm having problems God speaks to me in ways that I don't expect, but which cause me to smile at my own foolishness.







© Copyright 2008 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591925-God-has-a-sense-of-humor