*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703351-Chapter-6
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1696019
As our parents grew weaker, we grew stronger. All we wanted was to live...
#703351 added August 7, 2010 at 3:13am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6
The next morning I discovered a big yellow envelope lying on my door, a note attached to the top. Picking it up, I closed the door, setting the envelope on my bed and jumping next to it. I’d learnt how to read but that had been years ago and I’d never been very good with no way of practicing. I recognized my name, Willow, straight away. After a few more minutes I gave up on the rest, figuring that if it had my name on it it must be mine anyway.

Opening the envelope, I pulled out a few different sheets of paper. Some of them were made of a strange flimsy paper with two pictures of wavy lines – the top had a high waves but the bottom one had a lot more high waves. The bottom was labelled ‘Genetic’, another word I recognized almost straight away and it wasn’t too hard to guess the top one would be ‘human.’
I guessed it to be a comparison of brain signals – my idea as confirmed with the next piece of paper. It was similar to the first, with two rows of signals. The top one was labelled 'Pure' – it looked the same as the one from the other page but it had even more high waves then the first one. This has to be the Genetic I'm hunting, I thought. The signal looked very strong.

I wasn’t entirely sure how I could get the picture into my head. Looking at it gave me a bit of an idea of the power I was searching for but it would be difficult to be one hundred percent sure and I didn’t want to make a mistake with something this important.

I took a look at the other pieces of paper. The rest of them were letters, a lot of words written across the paper. I sighed slightly as I looked at them. It would take me a very long time to work all of this out.

I recognized my name and Fame on one of the pieces of paper so I concentrated on this one, telling myself it had nothing to do with the fact it was fairly short compared to the others. It took a while but in the end I managed to figure out that it was basically telling me I had already guessed – the signal labelled ‘Pure’ showed the signal the SourceBox was picking up compared to other signals. It also reminded me to update him on my progress, which I already knew from the conversation I had with him earlier. But I didn’t have to do that until tonight so I went back to the brain signals.

I lay back on the bed, staring at the signal labelled Pure. I didn’t allow myself to think of anything but the picture; the way the waves went up and then down. After a few moments I caught a glimpse, a feeling. It was like that ‘glass’ in that I could see it, feel it, but somehow... not. It felt like I was feeling the signal from a very large distance but I knew instinctively this was not so. The signal was close – I had been right. It was in hole.

I hadn’t even realized I’d closed my eyes until I stopped concentrating. Opening them I sat up, frowning deeply. A signal like that... I still didn’t understand why it wasn’t screaming at me. With something that strong I should have absolutely no doubt if it was the Pure from the woods or not. Still. Now that I had a bit of an idea what the signal was like I would be able to know once and for all. If I could concentrate like that near the Pure, feeling his true power level while balancing this signal in my head I would have no doubt left. It would either be him or it wouldn’t.

*~*~*~*~*~


“Are you sure?” Jayce asked.

“Yes. I’m not saying it wasn’t a Genetic – given the way Dave was killed, the Genetic would have to be very powerful so I would hate to limit it. But it was a heart attack, although it’s impossible to tell if it was natural or the Genetic,” Doctor Shiro replied, her voice sounding slightly muffled over the phone.

“Ah.” He was silent for a moment as he thought that through. “Okay, thanks. I’ll swing by later to pick up the report so I can go through it.”

“Sure.” She hesitated for a moment. “Benka is sending over a new Sheriff  but...”

“In the meantime I’m treating Sheriff Walker’s death as murder. I’ve got a few leads.”

The relief was obvious in her voice. “Good. The new Sheriff won’t be here until tomorrow – they did say he was only temporary, that he was going to look after things until someone more permanent was found. It’s good to know someone’s still looking out for the best interests of the town.”

“Yeah.” Jayce said goodbye and hung up, gripping the phone as he paused for a few moments, thinking things through. Something was... off. He wasn’t sure what but he knew something was wrong.

Getting to his feet, he left his room and headed downstairs. Lex was sitting at the bench, a book in one hand and a glass of milk in the other. “You shouldn’t drink that, your cold is only just getting better,” he said, opening the fridge and peering inside.

“Whatever, mum,” Lex muttered under her breath, her gaze fixed on her book.

He glared at her over the door, shaking his head as he went back to studying the food. “Do you want a sandwich for lunch?” He asked after a moment. She didn’t reply and he frowned deeply, slamming the fridge door shut. “Okay, this stops. Now I know you’re upset that you can’t see Willow but you’re just a kid, Lex. You don't always know whats right.”

“Will you make up your mind?” Lex snapped, her cheeks turning pink with anger. “When we were in Benka, you treated me like an adult. The moment we came here you started running around playing like you’re a hero and treating me like I’m two!”

“I started treating you like you were two the moment you started acting it!” Jayce yelled back. “I’m doing the best I can!”

“You used to do better.” Her lip was trembling. “Don’t you like me anymore?”

Jayce paused, exhaling slowly. “You know I love you, Lex. You’re my sister. But it’s been two years and a lot has changed since Benka. And I know you’re lonely but Willow is dangerous, Lex. Would you please just trust me on this?” Her eyes were filled with tears as he softened, realizing she was upset about more then just Willow.  “I have to do what I do to keep you safe. But you know I would never hurt anyone, don’t you?”

“But... Sara says... they think I don’t know but I hear them talking sometimes. They say you... kill...” She stopped talking and just cried, putting her head on her arms.

He moved over to her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her to his chest. “Ssh...” He soothed, stroking her hair. “You can’t always listen to them, Lex. It’s just gossip.” He bent over, looking her straight in the eye. “You know me. A lot has changed but I haven’t, we haven’t. I still love you and I’ll do anything to keep you safe, from everyone. Even Genetics.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


I moved through the forest, hiding my panic. The Pure had left his campsite – the embers had been dead for a while. I was searching for his signal, concentrating as hard as I could to get a wider range and I still couldn’t feel anything. He wouldn’t leave though, would he? He had said he hadn’t wanted to but maybe he had been close to discovery. My throat tightened. Maybe he had been discovered. If he was badly hurt, his signal would be weaker. I didn’t want to think that maybe there no longer was a signal.

I couldn’t give up, not yet; I moved deeper into the forest, still searching. Theoretically, if I went back to the power station I would be able to expand my range quite significantly. However, the memory of Dave was still fresh in my mind and I didn’t think I could risk it. If I was to try the same thing with a simple power plug I would have the same problem except I would be in the middle of hole when my body tried to discharge the electricity; at least at the plant I would be far from hole and anything, really.

Except accidents happen...

After a while I forced myself to stop. If I kept going, I wouldn’t be able to find hole again. Although there was a lot of forest I still hadn’t gone near I knew I wouldn’t find him – I would have to wait until he came back. He would come back. He had to come back.

I was almost all the way back to hole when I felt a signal. Relief poured through me and I bolted, out of the forest and into the fields that surrounded hole. I had only just enough time to wonder why he would be in plain sight when Lex and Jayce appeared further up ahead. I slowed to a walk, my smile fading with disappointment – I had been too exited to really pay attention to the signal or the fact there were two. Lex however broke into a smile. Her head turned to ask Jayce something – he looked annoyed by the question but he nodded anyway and she ran over to me. “Willow!”

“Hi, Lex.” I looked at Jayce with a frown on my face then turned back to her. “What are you doing out here?”

“Looking for strawberries - Jayce says there’s a whole bunch of wild ones hidden here.” She lifted up a small basket with a few small red fruits inside. She glanced behind me, to the forest I had just left. “You really like the forest, huh? Then again I guess there’s nothing else to do in hole. I spend most of my time there. But most visitors just sit in their cabins until they can leave.”

“I like it in there.” I followed her gaze, sadness washing over me. I wish I could feel the Pure, the reassurance that came from having him nearby.

“So I guess your leaving hole soon, huh?” Lex also looked sad. “The trucks come tomorrow.”

I glanced over to where Jayce was standing. I had a feeling he would have something to say about me leaving; not to mention I wasn’t entirely convinced the Genetic I was hunting was in Benka anymore. “No – I think I might stay a few days.”

She smiled broadly. “That’s terrific! Hole’s really small and some people find it boring but I can show you all this cool stuff to do-“

There was a ringing noise and Jayce turned away, answering a phone he pulled from his pocket. Lex glanced at me, frowning slightly. “You don’t like him very much, do you?” I shuffled uncomfortably, not sure how to reply when she continued, “I don’t think he likes you very much either.”

I thought over what had happened so far. “No, probably not.” But that was okay – the less I had to do with Jayce the better as far as I was concerned.

“You know, he’s-“

“Lex.” Jayce strode over to where we were standing, interrupting whatever Lex was going to say. “I want you to go back home and stay there for a while, okay?”

“Why?” Lex grew pale. “What’s wrong, Jayce?”

“Riko found a group of Genetics. He says there’s five of them.”

“I was just in the wood,” I blurted, stunned. “They can’t be there, I would’ve…” I died off as I realized who I was talking to. “I would’ve seen them,” I finished lamely.

“They're not in the woods,” Jayce said dismissevly before bending down slightly to look Lex straight in the eye. He said something too low for me to hear before finishing with, “Lock the doors and don’t come out for anyone. I’ll come as soon as I can.” He glanced at me. “You’re coming, too.” He didn’t have to say why – he thought my supposed Genetic friend would be travelling with the other Genetics and I would be able to sense her. Why do stories get so complicated? I wondered silently.

Lex threw her arms around Jayce, burying her head in his shirt. “Please don’t go.” Her voice was muffled.

He hugged her back then gently unwrapped her arms. “Just remember what I told you, okay?”

She nodded, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand as she ran off towards hole, looking scared. Jayce watched her go then turned to look at me, his face unreadable.

“I won’t help you kill them,” I snapped, a mixture of feelings running through me. Five Genetics was a reason to feel joy – I could not wait to meet them, talk to them, learn what they knew. But with Jayce by my side things became more difficult. Even if I did get the chance to talk to them I wouldn’t be able to explain myself and they would believe me to be human or a half-Gen. Perhapse, then, it would be better not to meet them; provided Jayce didn’t try to hurt them, that is.

“You don’t have to,” Jayce replied with a grim smile. “You just need to sense her.” He lead me into the outskirts of hole, where a truck lay. “Get in.”

I hesitantly climbed into the car, copying his movements to fasten a long strip around me. I’d never been inside a car before – I watched with curiosity as he operated it, his feet pushing pedals while his hand shifted a stick and turned a wheel. After a few moments he glanced at me, frowning slightly. When I kept watching he glanced at me again. “Uh, you’re staring.” he said after a moment.

“Yes.” I was fascinated. It all looked so easy. I wonder if I could do it?

My answer seemed to amuse him for a moment and then he shrugged. “Okay, if you want to watch me drive you can. I’m guessing you don’t know how to drive?”

“No.”

“Ah.” He turned the truck out onto another road that lead us along the bottom of the mountain. “Riko’s in the forest – apparently they're walking across the fields.”

I twisted my head. “They’re not near the power station, are they?” I felt a momentary stab of panic but then Jayce shook his head.

“No, they’re headed towards us.” He turned down a road I had not noticed before that lead into the forest. He drove for a while before pulling over and stopping. “We’ll have to walk the rest of the way. The truck would give away our position otherwise.”

I nodded, unclipping the strip and getting out, closing the door behind me. We walked away from the car and up one part of the mountain – once we reached the top there was some kind of outpost hidden amongst ferns and a fallen tree. It was difficult to spot, even though I could sense Riko.

Jayce slid over the log, dropping between ferns and the wood into what must have been a large ditch. Hesitantly, I followed – despite the fact you could barely see it from outside, inside it turned out to fairly good viewing of the area around us. Riko glanced up, instantly frowning. “What’s she doing here?” He asked, his body language hostile.

“She’s going to help us find a killer,” Jayce replied. They exchanged glances, something I didn’t understand passing between them without words and then Riko nodded, ever so slightly.

He held a pair of image-enhancers – I’ve forgotten what they're called but I remember that when you look through them what you’re looking at gets bigger – and pointed towards the fields we could just make out in the distance. “They’re just over there.” He handed the image-enhancers to Jayce.

Jayce nodded, scanning the area with the image-enhancers. “I’ve never seen that many together in one group,” he said after a moment. “Let alone in the open like that.” He glanced at me. “Is she there?”

“They’re too far away,” I replied truthfully.

He handed me the enhancers. “Try the binoculars then.”

So that was what they were called. I took the binoculars, fitting the smaller side over my eyes like Jayce had done. Instantly everything got larger and I searched for the Genetic’s group. I found them in the field, like Riko said – five of them walking in a small tight group towards us. I frowned. Jayce was right in thinking it was unusual. Genetics normally didn’t travel in groups like that, as it was too dangerous. Plus open areas like that… a week ago I would have avoided something like that at all costs.

“I can’t make out their faces.” That too was true – I desperately wanted to see if the Pure was amongst them but from here it was too difficult to tell. They were all Pures though, which made it even more unusual; they didn’t have normality to hide behind like the half-Gens. And like me.

“Okay. We’ll move closer then.” He carefully slid out of the ditch and I followed reluctantly. “Stay here,” he whispered back to Riko, followed by some things that I couldn’t hear. Then he moved forward, back the way we had come. Only this time we moved slower, using trees and foliage as cover. It got thicker to the edge of the forest and he crouched behind a large pile of bushes so thick I couldn’t see inside. “In there.”

I moved in carefully, trying to keep my footsteps quiet. I seemed to be making too much nosie for Jayce’s tastes, however, for after a few seconds he growled in my ear softly, “Walk gently.”

I tried, making it to the middle of the bushes without too much disturbance. We settled down and began to wait. It started with a faint whisper, a signal too weak for me to normally pick up on. But then it slowly got stronger, beginning to split into separate signals. After a few moments they were strong enough to distinguish between them. The Pure was amongst them, causing me to smile to myself. But the other signals – some were normal, as expected. One was even stronger then the Pure’s and I focused all of my attention on it.

After a few seconds I felt something slid over the signal. It was subtle, like a fog, meant to distract me without my realizing it. I had never met resistance before; it made me curious. I pushed harder, waiting to see the reaction. This time it too was stronger – I was fairly sure it was some sort of mental block like I had created with the Pure. This time I could feel an emotion with it, too – curiosity, like me. It only made me more curious, though; most of the time emotions and thoughts are hidden from me. But this emotion was almost pushed into my head, like the person wanted me to feel it. And perhaps they did, letting me know in their own way that they weren’t angry at my intrusion.

I closed my eyes and focused, remembering the picture of the scan. The new Genetic did not seem to be the one I was after; much to my disappointment, no one else in the group was either, including the Pure. When I moved onto the other Genetics, again I felt the fog. It was still intended to block my probing but the feel was different enough for me to know that it was being projected into their minds by the same person. It was not as powerful as my ability – I’m not trying to brag but it wasn’t – and it seemed to be focused more on shields then mine, which was more focused on control.

I felt a touch on my arm and twisted my head. Jayce was looking at me, a question in his eyes. I shook my head. As he frowned, I felt a rush of fear. I couldn’t keep this story going. By pretending that the ‘other’ Genetic had killed Sheriff Walker I had basically told Jayce that she hadn’t left as I had said earlier. I was cutting off my own exits, one by one.

I could hear their footsteps now, although through the thick foliage I could only catch glimpses of people. They walked right past us – obviously the Genetic could not sense like I could. When they had gone a few feet past us I leant over, whispering in Jayce’s ear so as to be as quiet as possible, “Wait here. I need to talk to them.” He nodded, then made a motion to indicate that he wanted to over hear the conversation. I nodded, giving myself a mental reminder to be careful.

They turned as I stepped out of the bushes. I knew the moment I laid eyes on a pretty girl near the back of the group that she was the one trying to block me. I locked eyes with her, pushing past her boundaries. She was trying to keep me out but I broke through, her eyes narrowing instantly. I focused all of my concentration on the one thought: we are not alone.

After a few seconds she tipped her head in acknowledgment – she still looked annoyed that I had broken her defences but I knew she would not reveal our mental battle to the rest of the group. Although I had my doubts she would anyway – from the look in her face she was not one to take losing lightly.

The rest of the groups faces were just as unfriendly – all but the Pure had their razors extended, assuming fighting stances. I stared at them in confusion. Surely she could not communicate with them? But why else would they attack me, think I was an enemy? My memory kicked in and I glanced down at my brown skin. Using my ability… it was easy to think things had gone back to normal but they hadn’t. They saw a stranger.

I raised my palm and flicked out my razors. They glanced at my hand and instantly turned their hands over, changing their attack into a greeting. “We did not realize,” a male at the front said softly.

“She helped me.” The Pure said, moving forward. They didn’t ask why he hadn’t said anything earlier – for me to be trusted I had to prove it first and they all knew that.

“I am human only on the outside.” I gently touched my razors against each members of the groups. When I got to the girl our touch was hesitant and she did not stop staring. I could see her bewilderment mixing with the anger from before – how does a half-Gen have an ability? It would only further her anger at being bested.

We all pulled back our razors now that we had exchanged greetings. With groups such as these, names were needed so we exchanged them all hesitantly. Two of them had names that they had been born with – Sara and Matt. The other three had chosen words for names they could not remember. Rock was a tall, muscular man who fitted the name very well – Night was the Genetic with whom I clashed. The name was also fitting; she seemed cold and dark. The Pure was named Ice although I was unfamiliar as to what kind of object that was.

“What are you doing here?” I asked once the introductions were over. My gaze swept over them. “It is dangerous for you in a group.”

Night smiled, although it wasn’t a pleasant or happy one. “Not as dangerous as it will be for them.”

“Quiet,” Rock growled, immediately establishing himself to me as leader of the group. He turned his gaze to me. “We will talk.”

I didn’t look towards Jayce as I walked away. I knew he would be angry but I would respect Rock’s leadership. To fight with him in front of his group would create another enemy I could not afford to have.

When we were a fair distance from the group Rock stopped, arms folded across his chest as he studied me. “There is a human hiding in the bushes,” he said it as a fact instead of a question.

“Yes. A nuisance.”

He frowned. “But you are strong.” Also a fact.

I hesitated, again wondering if Night was a communicator. I would have felt it if he had probed my mind – the thought made me smile inwardly. I was becoming paranoid – each Genetic I had met so far had a new gift. Theoretically others with the same abilities would be out there somewhere but I could hardly believed all of them were within the same radius as me.

Rock smiled, amusement mixing with happiness, completely different from Night’s smile. “I can see your past once I touch you. Never the future but anything you have done, two seconds ago, nine years ago, ever since your birth is displayed before me.”

I instantly withdrew, throwing up shields.

“It will not work, little one.”

“Hardly,” I snarled, bristling at the term. I was a survivor, one who had made it past the youngling age. Few of our kind did, for the young and the old were easy targets.

His smile grew. “You misunderstand me. I refer to height alone.” He sobered, reaching up to gently touch his temple as he tipped his head back, a sign of deep friendship as it exposed the neck and with it, the blood veins. “We can be allies should you wish it, Willow, and share the prize.” His head tilted down, his chin almost hitting his chest and the razor moved to trace part of his jaw. “Or we can fight over what neither of us truly wish for.”

I should have realized he shared the same goal as me – if my past was truly as accessible to him as he would have me believe he would have had to have a reason to hide my secrets. “Do not hide from me.” I reached forward, placing my hand on his chest and throwing myself in his mind. I deliberately made my entrance noticeable, something I normally avoid because of the pain it caused and was rewarded with a wince. “Speak truth only.”

He looked me straight in the eye. “I will not harm you and as much as my hold on the group allows they will not harm you either. Nor will I reveal you to anyone you do not choose personally.”

I removed my hand, being far more gentle on my exit. He had told the truth I had requested and satisfied, I copied his movements by tipping back my head and touching my temple.

“You are stronger then your actions revealed,” he said with a frown.

“If you could see all you would see pain, as well. If I am not in control everyone loses,” I replied softly.

He nodded, slowly. “Yes. I see pain for death, none that you have caused – I imagine pain for a killing you did would be almost unbearable. Perhaps that is why you did not remember Dave.”

“Perhaps.” I felt a rush of sadness at the name. I suppose somehow I had known the pain and contained it before really ever experiencing it. It was the only way to explain what had never happened before. “Why are you here, Rock?”

“We need supplies. We have heard a town is nearby.”

“Not a friendly one.”

“Sara can choose not to be seen.” I wanted to ask him more about their purpose here but he continued, “We must return to the group.” As we moved away Rock caught my arm. “Be careful, Willow,” he said in a low voice. “I have seen Night create havoc over far pettier things then your argument.”

“I did not mean to offend.”

“Some people will be offended no matter your actions,” Rock replied grimly. The others were standing around, talking in hushed voices as we walked up to them. “Ice has gone to create a camp,” Sara said as we approached them.

Rock nodded. “Good. Sara, you will go with Willow into the town. She will help you find everything you need. Matt, you will track Ice then return for Sara.”

Matt nodded, twisting his head to one side. I felt a spark in his signal and then he set off at a gentle run, the others following him. “He can track peoples movements, even if they walked past a few days ago. I’m not quite sure how he does it – we thought smell at first but it works only for people.” Sara said as we moved through the bush with me leading the way to hole.

I shook my head. No, not smell – the spark had been for something else. I wasn’t sure what but I had no doubt you would not be able to hide from Matt. His range was even larger than Ice’s, too, the largest I had ever seen by far; I would be curious to see how far exactly.

“What’s it like?” Sara asked hesitantly. When I turned her face was filled with a deep longing combined with an equally deep sadness. “To be normal. Walk down the streets. Talk to them.” She looked down at her feet. “What is it like not to fear?”

“I fear more.” My smile was also sad. “The more I live in their world the more I’m reminded I’m not part of it.” I reached out, gently tracing a claw down her white skin. “I’m no longer a part of you’re world either.” I moved forward quickly to end the conversation.

As we neared hole Sara simply… vanished. I could feel her signal, I could hear her occasionally talk as she reassured me she had not left. But to look to my side and see nothing when everything told me she was there was slightly disconcerting.

“We will enter a store,” I said under my breath, talking quietly so only she could hear as we started down the road. “It will have a door that does not appear to be there. Be careful entering and don’t touch anything unless I do.”

I moved into the store, casually leaning in the doorframe with the door open until I felt her brush past. Then I went inside. I shopped quickly, picking up things in packets and raw vegetables and fruit to make it easy for them to eat. Every time I grabbed something, it disappeared in my hands. I could still feel it but it was suddenly… gone. And then Sara would take it out of my hands. So she can transfer her ability to others… or just objects?

I paid for some items, getting more bags. Something told me that just taking the stuff wasn’t quite right but I didn’t know why it wouldn’t be so I just did it anyway. We left hole, putting the stuff Sara had into the bags I had. As we walked through the forest we started chatting again, the dark mood we had created earlier replaced with happiness just to be able to talk to someone new.

“So why hole?” Sara asked, carefully stepping over a log.

Shrugging, I dodged a tree. I had decided to elaborate on the story I had told Jayce – things were complicated enough as they were without saying other things. “I’m looking for a friend, a Pure. I heard a lot of Genetics came to these woods from Benka, which is were she used to be. I haven’t found her yet though.”

“There are more mountains with more trees three days walk from here.” Sara pointed in the direction of the power plant, a nightmare I could not ignore. “There are more Genetics in there. A large number of us, far more then just our group.”

An army. An army of Genetics to fight the humans. “And what if the humans find you?”

“They won’t.” Sara said confidently. “Night, she can channel or block peoples abilities. Well, mainly channel – if your strong enough it’s fairly easy to break down her blocks.”

I nodded, frowning slightly. “What do you mean by channel?”

“She makes our abilities stronger. On my own I could probably I probably effect three, maybe four other people. With her channelling I can cover all of us, enough to stop humans from finding us. Well, to a degree anyway – there are gaps if you look at it from the right angel. But most humans pass overhead, in some sort of machine and they can’t see us.”

“Huh.” I paused, looking forward to where Trent was standing at the base of a mountain. “You go ahead. I have to go back to hole.”

Sara nodded, taking the rest of the bags off me. “Bye.”

I waved goodbye and then turned, walking back towards hole. When I was no longer in sight I headed away, out into the fields. I hated the idea and I knew I was stupid for even thinking it. But an army? I had to find out more. How many there were, how strong. I couldn’t walk there, not if it would take me three days. And there was only one thing I could think of that would give me that kind of range.

The sun was beginning to set as I reached the edge of the forest. It had been forty-eight hours. I was meant to be calling Fame. Sorry, Fame. I thought as I started towards the power plant. But you’re going to have to wait.

I could feel it with every step. I kept glancing around me, searching for signals but all I felt was the distant echoes in the mountain. This time as I walked I let the electricity stay in me, building it for when I would need it. By the time I reached the plant it was dark – I was relying entirely on my search for a signal to tell me if anyone was coming or not. By now electricity was coursing through my body like I was a machine – every step I took sparked electricity into the sand, leaving a blue footprint behind me for a brief second before fading. Never before had I had so much electricity in me – the last time I had visited the power plant I had created the net for this exact reason.

I reached the centre of the power plant and stood there. Even through the fear of hurting someone else I was alive. I always knew I had this much power but the electricity woke it up, stirring it within in me until I felt like right then I could rip the earth apart. But I could just as easily make humanity fall to its knees; I had to work quickly and get out of there.

I closed my eyes and started the search. It started small in the area surrounding the power plant and then I began to feed it, using the electricity to further my range, going further then I had ever been able to go.

I felt Jayce, walking back to hole. I felt hole itself, with the many different signals I was beginning to recognize. I felt the group.

And still the signal expanded. It grew so strong that I could feel the birds above me, the insects in the ground near my feet. And then it reached further.

*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Sir, she hadn’t checked in yet.”

Fame frowned deeply, drumming his fingers against the desk. “We can’t risk it. We must presume the worst, that she’s gone rogue.”

“Orders, sir?”

“We know the Genetic is somewhere near Mobosa, a town Willow was staying in. Activate the chip and then mobilize a team. We’re taking over.”

© Copyright 2010 _Random_ (UN: ali.fraser at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
_Random_ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703351-Chapter-6