*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/741997-A-slight-setback
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#741997 added December 19, 2011 at 8:33am
Restrictions: None
A slight setback...
I had to take Jim back to the hospital yesterday afternoon for declining kidney function and a very low hematocrit. He is still being hydrated and got two units of blood starting at midnight last night. He was feeling much, much better today. Severe anemia was something I never associated with chronic kidney disease, but it is a fact of life with a lot people with CKD. The kidneys produce a substance I will just call epo, because I cannot spell the long version. Anyway, epo tells the bone marrow to make red blood cells. When kidneys are not functioning well, epo production sometimes goes way down, and the result is very few red blood cells being made to replace the dying ones. I believe I read somewhere that red blood cells only live 24 hours. Jim's hematocrit and hemoglobin results were half of what mine are. Can you imagaine how that would make you feel? Like crap!

I had to call a mobile medivan to take him to the hospital because he is still unable to get into the truck from his wheelchair. The driver was great, joked with Jim on the way, and made sure I was able to follow close behind. His doctor thinks he will be ready to come back home tomorrow or Monday *Smile*.

My little tree looks slightly forlorn with no presents under it. Shopping has definitely been on the back burner this year. The best gift of all will be having Jim home on Christmas Day. Who needs anything else?

until next time....c

© Copyright 2011 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/741997-A-slight-setback