*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748438-Wisdom-from-my-Zen-Cat-Calendar
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#748438 added March 6, 2012 at 12:09pm
Restrictions: None
Wisdom from my Zen Cat Calendar...
"Voyaging on the River of Life, Looking deeply, the Mysteries are Revealed."...Honshin

Almost all of yesterday was spent at the lab and waiting for the Renal Doc. Jim lost his temper a couple of times, understandable. I think they schedule everyone at the same time...ugh. The good news is she thinks his CKD has stabilized in the 20-30 percent range. She doubled his daily dose of bicarb, instructed us to continue to limit potassium-rich foods, closely monitor his blood glucose...and keep moving onward on the voyage.

The bicarb is for acidosis, which means your body is too acid, duh, in Jim's case from diabetes and CKD. If his kidneys functioned normally, he could counteract it with fresh fruits and vegetables, but because they are high in potassium, it's a "catch 22". Bicarb, which he takes in pill form for the correct dose, is the same thing that's in the old Arm and Hammer baking soda box. Anyone interested in checking their ph level (acid or alkaline) can purchase litmus strips and do a saliva test. It will vary some throughout the day, but 7.4 is supposed to be ideal. Most of us are somewhat acid due to our diet of processed foods. I have read that a leaning toward alkalinity will also help one's bones. That was interesting for me since I have osteoporosis. Caffeine seems to be a big culprit for acid too. I may have to eliminate my morning coffee. A smoothie would be good.

It's warming up again...yay...but the wind keeps blowing (March). I have about a gazillion more pinecones to pick up, but I do love to get outside whenever I can. Listening to music keeps the pinecones moving from ground to trash can...

until next time...c

© Copyright 2012 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748438-Wisdom-from-my-Zen-Cat-Calendar