*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749345-About-a-bird
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#749345 added March 22, 2012 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
About a bird.....
This morning I saw my first cowbird of the season. For those not familiar, yes, that's really it's name, or their name since you hardly ever see one without another. Each time I see one, it brings back a special memory reinforced over many years of first sightings.

Shortly after moving to Florida from Delaware we were enjoying a ride with a member of my husband's family when we passed by a field full of cattle. On their backs sat little brown birds, my first sighting of the cowbird. Intrigued by the apparent cameraderie between the two, I asked Frances about them.

"Oh, those are just cowbirds." Now, Frances was known to be a jokester and I thought she was "putting me on." No bird would have a simple, stupid name like that, would it? I said nothing and acted disinterested so as not to be made a fool.

But back at home, I investigated, and found that Francis was being serious. They are cowbirds, and you can read about them here if you are interested. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown-headed_Cowbird/id/ac

Now, everytime I see one, I think of Frances and how my fear of being embarrassed kept me from learning what Frances knew about cowbirds...probably a lot.

until next time....c

© Copyright 2012 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749345-About-a-bird