*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752373-May-5---Youre-Caught-In-The-Act
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#752373 added May 6, 2012 at 8:20am
Restrictions: None
May 5 - You're Caught In The Act
I have no idea why this popped into my head when I read this. It may have been the first time I was really embarrassed in school.

I was in the third grade sitting at my desk in front of a girl named Darlene Hutchins, a real chatterbox. I'm an only child and was always sort of quiet, not easy to make friends. I paid attention in class, never came unprepared, turned in homework on time, and always made straight A's on my report card.

Miss Baker, Oda Baker to be exact, was my teacher, one of two old-maid sisters. The other sister worked with my mother. I think I was probably pretty full of myself and thought I was a little smarter than everybody else. This particular day brought me down to a normal level, maybe even a little below *Smile*.

Here's the picture of what happened. I'm reading an assignment, minding my own business, when I feel this tapping on my shoulder. I did what anyone else would do...I turned around. Darlene whispered something to me I did not understand and I whispered a few words back to her. She begain to write something down on a piece of paper which kept my rapt attention. I was twisted all the way around in my chair by this time.

The next thing I knew Miss Oda Baker was standing beside me, her hand on my shoulder, an unpleasant experience, believe me. Her face looked like a storm cloud had passed over it and soon I was to feel the thunder and lightning of it. I cannot remember her exact words because of the pounding in my ears, but she managed to made me feel like the smallest bug on the floor. And a verbal put down was not my only punishment. The dreaded wooden ruler cracked across my knuckles as she spun me around to the front of my seat. Miss Baker did not allow talking or disrespect (for her) in her classroom.

Darlene suffered no indignities at all. When Miss Baker's eyes lighted on me, Darlene was quietly writing in her notebook, the picture of virtue.

Well, I got my come-uppance that day, and at the end of the marking period, an "unsatisfactory" beside "self-control" on my report card. I thought it was grossly unfair at the time, but over the years my opinion has mellowed, and I think in the end it did me a lot of good. At least, I never talked in class again unless called upon by the teacher. Needless to mention, Darlene and I never became friends.

until next time....c

moon over ocean at night

© Copyright 2012 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752373-May-5---Youre-Caught-In-The-Act