*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/776241-Captainless
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#776241 added February 27, 2013 at 9:22pm
Restrictions: None
Captainless...
We had our memoir class as usual today, but Susie, our instructor, was sick with a fever and cough and could not be there. She emailed everyone last night and said whoever wanted to could come, and read and discuss - six of our number showed up.

I thought our class went very well. We all seemed freer with our discussions, got better acquainted, and all but two read stories. Better watch out, Susie (just kidding).

One of the ladies had a new idea (from her 92 year old aunt) for remembering names from our past. It all started with her aunt's story about what she does if she has trouble going to sleep. She starts with the letter "A" and alphabetically names vegetables. If she runs through the entire alphabet, she switches to fruits, then flowers, and so forth and so on. When her niece mentioned her disparity at remembering names, she suggested using the alphabet for thinking of names. It does give something specific to tie your rope to, hypothetically. It is easier to think of a name beginning with A (Anna) than just trying to think of any old name. I'll have to try it for people I've known throughout my life.

Luckily, I have my Junior and Senior High Yearbooks with all my classmates names and photos, but many in my memoir class have nothing. That would be a problem. Just looking at those pictures trigger all kinds of memories for me.

Another lady just finished a library book by Marilu Henner, Total Memory Makeover: Uncover Your Past, Take Charge of Your Future. I checked it out on Amazon, read the "Look Inside", and it sounds interesting. The title is certainly a hook. Our classmate raved about it.

I got all emotional while writing my story for today's class and was not sure I could read it without bawling at the end. Three times I read it out loud at home and got that big lump and tears every time. But everything seemed so low key and informal today in class, I read it at the end...and got through with no tears. I posted it in my port and if anyone has a couple of minutes, I'd appreciate any feedback...does not have to be a formal review. Here's the link, "The Gift Thanks to any who read it...

until next time...c

© Copyright 2013 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/776241-Captainless