*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/777568-Class-is-Finished
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#777568 added March 14, 2013 at 7:01pm
Restrictions: None
Class is Finished
Yesterday was my last memoir class just as we all were getting know each other and get comfortable. Several said they may come to the memoir II class but who can tell. I was the only one of our class to show up at their meeting last week. Everyone in our class had good stories to share, and our instructor was encouraging to all.

Much of the information from the last two classes I have learned here. Look to replace narrative with dialogue - in short clips - eavesdrop to learn how. Use adverbs (ly words) sparingly or not at all. Active verbs are a better way to go and forget all those cliches! Make up your own. Eliminate 'I remembers' and try to move the story forward with every word. Do keep some slang language in your memoir to keep it realistic. Hook the reader and establish a bond from the beginning. Show, don't tell, whenever possible, create conflicts and resolutions, and use your senses (not sense, although that is important, too).

If you decide to self-publish, make sure the printer uses acid-free archival paper with no clay. Adding an index is nice for the reader who forgets quickly, and Microsoft's Photo Story III is free and helps with picture layout if you decide to include photos. Always double-space and add an extra five spaces for the left indent (for the gutter).

These were last instructions from our teacher, and they left my brain spinning. At the rate I am writing, it will take me a year to get close to a publishing point, but she was optimistic and wants to read all our books. She has already published a book on her parents' and grandparents' lives and is now working on her own. My next step is joining a critique pod in my writing group. I'll attend a couple more meetings before taking that step, but I know I will need to do it if only to keep writing.

I finished a good book (biography, of course) a couple nights ago, Stop-Time by Frank Conroy, and am reading it again...high praise, indeed.

Hope everyone is doing well. Spring is flirting with me here in Gainesville, and I am welcoming it with open arms.

until next time....c

© Copyright 2013 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/777568-Class-is-Finished