*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805557-Three-Cold-Days-in-Washington-DC
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#805557 added February 2, 2014 at 5:21pm
Restrictions: None
Three Cold Days in Washington DC
         Well, I left Chicago last Monday and flew to Reagan Airport in Washington DC.  It was -5 in Chicago, and 42 in Washington when I landed!  Unfortunately, it seemed I packed the cold weather in my suitcase, because the temperature dropped to the low 20's by that evening.  I had hoped to have a cup of coffee with Maryann on this trip, but she is traveling the country and  world with her husband, so that was out.

         My customer this week was the Office Of Unified Communications, (OUC).  The OUC combines the communication efforts of the Fire Department, Police Department, and the 911 Center, so there's a lot going on with communications.  Programming radios is far harder than it might sound, a two day class only introduces the technicians to the software, it takes weeks and months of using the software in programming to really master the craft.

         Sadly, I didn't get to visit the National Mall, or Arlington Cemetery on this visit, it was too cold, and almost dark by the time I returned to the hotel.  These are two places I try to visit on each occasion, especially Arlington.  How many of you know that the Champion boxer Joe Louis is buried there?  Visiting Arlington is always special to me, it's a way of expressing my gratitude to those who fell defending America, or were instrumental in our countries history in one way or another.  Maybe I'll get to go back later this year when it's warmer, and be a tourist once again.

         My next trip is to the NE area, spending a couple of days in Naugatuck Connecticut, and Marshfield Massachusetts.  I hope to visit Cape Cod, and Plymouth Rock at this time, as well as driving past Groton, an area I lived in for 2.5 years while commissioning the Submarine, USS Alabama, SSBN731.  Til then, y'all stay warm in this cold winter we're having.

Jim

© Copyright 2014 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805557-Three-Cold-Days-in-Washington-DC